PDA

View Full Version : U Joint problem

tngerman2000
08/16/2006, 03:50 PM
and fellow VXers ever have any U Joint problems or replaced? What were the symptoms that caused the replacement of these?

Joe_Black
08/16/2006, 06:09 PM
Well, they do wear out, especially if not lubricated periodically. How many miles do you have? New OEM sets are relatively inexpensive, about $100 for a full set IIRC. Easy to change out, basic truck-type using circlip retainers. Just be sure to make good witness marks before pulling your driveline apart.

Triathlete
08/16/2006, 09:35 PM
$80 eachfrom Merlin. I've got a brand new one on the shelf in my garage! Keeping it for when I need it.

Joe_Black
08/17/2006, 04:39 AM
$80 eachfrom Merlin.
Yup. I got mine from an online retailer found by simply searching for the Isuzu part number in Yahoo.

Here's where I got mine for $55.90 each, genuine Isuzu parts: Car Parts Team, Isuzu Universal Joint (http://www.carpartsteam.com/IS_Vehicross_Driveshaft+aNd+Axle_U-Joint_019.html)

kpaske
08/17/2006, 09:10 AM
Geez, I never knew about that grease point. I wish there was a comprehensive list somewhere of EVERY point in the vehicle that needs periodic lubrication. I know the owners manual has a list of maintenance procedures, but many of them say things like "Check suspension; Check Power Steering System;" etc...

I'm going to take a ton of pictures when I do my suspension/brake upgrades. Maybe someone will volunteer to help me turn them into a series of howtos? It seems we have a whole new generation of VXers, with a lot of veteran members selling them off, who could use the guidance. Heck, even some of us veteran members still have a lot to learn!! ;Db;