PDA

View Full Version : Farewell VX brothers Totalled my VX

Edward
08/19/2006, 02:04 AM
I was t-boned last month on the way back from the mall. A girl coming out of the local college changed he mind and switched south bound instead of North and hit me in the back left side. I swirved to miss her but she accelerated right into me and next thing I knew I was tumbling down the road and ended up skidding on the roof to a stop. 2 fractures in my back, torn ab muscles, glass scratches in pain for the past month but survived it. I rolled 2 1/2 times and ended up on the roof withthe windshield smashed in but my airbags never deployed?http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=500/7489wreckcrop.jpg

etlsport
08/19/2006, 02:46 AM
wow man.. sorry to hear about that accident, glad pulled through it OK though.. as for the airbags, i flipped a civic almost exactly a year ago in a similar way (photo in my gallery if you want to see it), a bus clipped my rear bumper on I-95 and when i got sideways i rolled a couple times then skidded on the roof/hood a while til i hit a pole. no airbag deployment there either.. theory my friends and i came up with is that by time the bumper really hit anything, the car had been so tossed around that a whole slew of wires and such were torn/disconnected.... then again maybe there wasnt a significant enough impact in the front or rear bumpers, i cant really tell from the picture, but it doesnt look like your hood or front bumper were really smashed

glad you are OK though

Hotsauce
08/19/2006, 07:03 AM
I believe it takes at least 2.5 G's on axis to trigger the airbag.

John C.

transio
08/19/2006, 08:18 AM
That'll buff right out! :)

Seriously, though, Edward, I'm glad you survived with minor injuries. Given the severity of the crash, you could have been easily killed or badly maimed (amputations, 3rd degree burns, ruptured organs, brain damage). You've been given a new lease on life, and hopefully you'll relive the incident with an optimistic outlook. You will be able to go on living a normal life and now have a really amazing story to tell your grandkids. Very few people in similar accidents get that opportunity.

I know what it's like to survive a bad crash, and I feel for you. You probably have some PTSD - I know when it happened to me, I didn't want to drive for a while (even though I walked away from mine) - but it'll pass. Right now, focus on getting better. Once your back and stomach heals, you'll probably have to do several months of physical therapy. When you're done, try to strengthen your core muscles (lower back, abdomen, obliques) to compensate for the damaged areas - even if you finish therapy with normal usage, these injuries will come back to haunt you when you're older unless you address them with an engineering attitude.

I hope that the driver who hit you was insured, and that you're getting a decent settlement to compensate for the hardships you have to endure. I also hope that the driver who hit you survived with few injuries, and has learned a valuable lesson from her negligent driving.

Good luck to you and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery! Keep your chin up and keep on truckin'!!! :D

Edward
08/19/2006, 11:16 AM
The girl who caused it wasn't injured thanks to her airbag (smashed the front of her car). We have the same insurance good for her probably not as good for me (we will see). I'm quit the pain killers, and muscle relaxers yesterday probably why I can't sleep and reliving my accident. Steve, your right I am always aware and watching while riding in the car with someone now (probably a back seat driver more). I haven't drove yet just cause of my movement. Anyway thanks again and watch out for that other driver.

PS my vx wouldn't die my flowmaster 40 series was still purring (for a few minutes) while I was laying there and she was upside down.

Ed

Ruflyf
08/19/2006, 12:27 PM
Ed

Given any thought to getting another one?

Ldub
08/19/2006, 01:59 PM
Ed,
Sorry for your loss, it's always sad to see another one go. :(
Glad you're gonna be OK & hope all works out well for you.

VCAMILO
08/20/2006, 06:45 PM
Glad to hear that you are OK. Now go get yourself a new Proton on ebay. :p

WormGod
08/21/2006, 07:16 AM
That is The Suck, Ed. Hopefully, the insurance company resolves this quickly and you are compensated for your losses. I hope your recovery stays on a good pace as well.