PDA

View Full Version : 2 door suv

Mark B
08/22/2006, 12:15 PM
I love the 2 door suv. I have the 1999 2 door Isuzu Amigo and the 2000 2 door Isuzu Vehicross. I love the sporty look.
Why have the manufacturers stopped making the 2 door suv?
Does anyone know of any new 2 door suv on the market now?

Zorak
08/22/2006, 01:48 PM
Uh, the Jeep Wrangler?

The Toyota FJ Cruiser looks like a 2-door, but is really a 2 + 1/2 door.

tbigity
08/22/2006, 02:04 PM
The Toyota FJ Cruiser looks like a 2-door, but is really a 2 + 1/2 door.

I know it is sacrilege...but the FJ is the ONLY vehicle that is near the hotness of the VX. That would be the ideal 2nd vehicle and complement to the VX. Prolly for that very reason...it has that same sporty but still rugid look to it. Oh...and you can get them in yellow :p

transio
08/22/2006, 02:35 PM
I personally hate the FJ Cruiser. Bleh. I think most people love it because of the newness and unique look. Unique doesn't mean pretty, though. Give it a year, and I think y'all will hate it, too. :D

WiSDoM
08/22/2006, 04:25 PM
I am with you Transio I think it looks bloated.. I will admit that the first time I saw it I thought it looked cool. After that just bloated.

transio
08/22/2006, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't say "just" bloated, but it's definitely bloated. :D

WyrreJ
08/22/2006, 05:31 PM
Forgot bloated, it is fricken square. The FJ is almost as boxy as an old-school volvo. I don't see the resemblence to a VX at all.

ZEUS
08/22/2006, 07:19 PM
Blazer ZR2, I think is still in production.... Is the Land Rover Defender still available? That's all I can think of.

Zorak
08/22/2006, 08:43 PM
No Blazers after 2005, or Defenders since 1997. Land Rover makes a 2-door version of the Freelander called the SE3, but even it won't be around after next year's redesign.

I was hoping the Ford Bronco Concept might end up being produced but that does not seem likely to happen now. That is one boxy vehicle though.

TEN36VX
08/22/2006, 11:27 PM
That would be the ideal 2nd vehicle and complement to the VX.
For my money, Transio has the idea complement to the VX... It too comes in yellow. ;)
I like the FJ (though not more than the VX mind you), but why would you want a second 4x4 when you have a VX? I do agree with Mark B though, the 2-door is a nice touch for sportiness.

Joe_Black
08/23/2006, 05:00 AM
I like the FJ and am glad Toyota brought the concept to production, but you can't go around the corner without seeing one. Having a VX really spoils you in the uniqueness department! ;)

BritVX
08/23/2006, 06:11 AM
I remember posting a picture of the FJ on this site last year when it was a concept. I thought it was ugly but a lot thought it great, it seems the tables have turned as I now think it looks pretty good having seen one in the flesh but it's true there are far too many about in the states to have the same unique appeal of a VX. I'm really enjoying being back in mine in the UK and getting all the drop jaw looks, the lift really gives it presence.

kpaske
08/23/2006, 07:15 AM
I don't think two vehicles with similar functionality really complement each other (even if they do look cool together)[Edit: And I'm not picking on you tbigity, honest :)]. I bought a VW Jetta TDI because I needed something that got much better gas mileage, required less repair and maintenance, and was easier to get the kids in and out of. Now that I have that, I can drive the VX the way it was meant to be driven - FOR FUN :D. Then again, what fits perfectly into my lifestyle might be very different for others.

I didn't like the FJ all that much when I first saw it, and it really hasn't grown on me much. I still don't think it looks anything like a VX except for the fact that it differs from the norm, but I'm sure that is what gives it it's appeal to those who like them.

As far as the original topic of this thread, 2 door SUV's, I don't think they make that many of them because they aren't very practical. You've got to remember that the SUV replaces the typical family stationwagon and/or minivan. "Sporty" SUV's have a much smaller target sector.

nfpgasmask
08/23/2006, 07:43 AM
I just hope Toyota brings another concept into prod, that being the RSC. If I ever buy a new vehicle again, it will be the RSC.

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/RSC/Images/07_RSC.jpg

Bart

I like the FJ and am glad Toyota brought the concept to production, but you can't go around the corner without seeing one. Having a VX really spoils you in the uniqueness department! ;)

kpaske
08/23/2006, 09:16 AM
I just hope Toyota brings another concept into prod, that being the RSC. If I ever buy a new vehicle again, it will be the RSC.

Yeah, that thing is freakin cool. I would definitely buy one of those if I had play money to burn.

thedutchguy
08/23/2006, 11:37 AM
I think this is stil in production!

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/800/0/fe3cdc990c4e4659bd09613c97c21d80.jpg

MZ-N10
08/23/2006, 03:20 PM
i believe we dont have this in teh USA

tbigity
08/23/2006, 05:12 PM
I personally hate the FJ Cruiser. Bleh. I think most people love it because of the newness and unique look. Unique doesn't mean pretty, though. Give it a year, and I think y'all will hate it, too. :D

I loved it when I first saw it too...did research for a bit unti I figured out what it was. When I found out that it was a midmarket toyota I knew it would get overproduced and I would start hating it. Well...that was 3 months ago (ish) and everytime I see one it still turns my head. Only seen enough to count on both hands though...and I live about a mile away from a Toyota dealership. They have had one for sale since they have been out. It was off their lot in 2 days. Of course, I am in tulsa...NOT miami, so we cater more to soccer moms, yuppies, and cowboys/rednecks (hella odd combo, I know)

Forgot bloated, it is fricken square. The FJ is almost as boxy as an old-school volvo. I don't see the resemblence to a VX at all.

considering their impetus/inspiration was the cruisers of old, I think the squareness if justified. That is like calling the SSR too round, despite the fact no one would dare call a '57 chevy pickup too rounded.

For my money, Transio has the idea complement to the VX... It too comes in yellow. ;)

What? This:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vx_lotus.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/vx_lotus.jpg)

You crazy! :p

Kpaske: Don't sweat it, I realize they don't really complement each other in the sense of picking up where one is lacking. I mean it more in the sense that to me, they are the two ideal vehicles. Since they are quite similar in functaionality, you can easily tell where my prefs are :)

Nfpgasmask: Never seen that toyota before, but it is hot...I think I just peed a little when I saw it :(