PDA

View Full Version : Finally a true VX'er

JHarris1385
09/04/2006, 04:09 PM
Its official, I finally picked up my VX 2000 IronMan w/40,000 miles. I had to fly to Chicago then drive a rental car to Waukesha WI (lower WI) to find the one I wanted. I have had my eyes on the Vehicross for too many years. It has always been considered to me as my dream car of some sort. Now I have one. I first remember coming across the VX hot wheel some years back and becoming interested then, and serched for it online and became obsessed. Anyways, I get to the house ready to buy the car with the checks already cut but didnt tell the owner that. Once i got there he was trying to sell a car to me that has in my mind already been sold. He had put on 20' agreesive looking chrome rims w/yokohomo tires. It is a great touch but he also threw in the 18's stock wheels and rims too. I plan on getting a third set of tire/wheel for off=road use. And he had also outfitted it with infinty speakers, 2 mtx 10'' subs and alpine amps....Its honestly the best thing I have owned and have had many nice cars for my age including (firebird, mercedes c280 sport.)

What i love is HOW many people ask me what the...is that. Or how many stares i get while driving. The best one yet is while driving home near Milwakee an awesome Porsche GT Carrea passed me to only slow down and "break his neck" to check out my VX.

But I do have some questions.....

1. The engine turns over a while before actually starting? Normally always starts on the second turn.

2. The engine quietly dies while stopped sometimes.

3. Is there a way to adjust the tilt on the dirvers seat. Im tall and need all the support i can get.

4. Is it normal for 1/3 of the TOD to always be lit up for the front wheels?

5. How do the headrests come off?

VehiGAZ
09/04/2006, 05:44 PM
Problems 1 & 2 are probably related. Run some injector cleaner through it, and check the plugs to make sure they are clean before you do anything involving a mechanic. Personally, when I buy a used car, I like to have the dealer do a "major service" on it right away - just so you know where you stand with maintenance.

There is no seat tilt adjustment per se, but I wonder if there might be something that can be done inside the seat to change the tilt of the seat bottom. Otherwise it's just fore-and-aft and seatback angle.

Yes, it is normal for the TOD to run like that. The system apportions up to 15% torque to the front wheels in normal driving.

If the front headrests are like the rears, they should come off by lifting them all the way and then pressing a button where one of the shafts enters the seatback.

Good luck with the idling issue!

Ldub
09/04/2006, 05:49 PM
Its official, I finally picked up my VX 2000 IronMan w/40,000 miles. I had to fly to Chicago then drive a rental car to Waukesha WI (lower WI) to find the one I wanted. I have had my eyes on the Vehicross for too many years. It has always been considered to me as my dream car of some sort. Now I have one. I first remember coming across the VX hot wheel some years back and becoming interested then, and serched for it online and became obsessed. Anyways, I get to the house ready to buy the car with the checks already cut but didnt tell the owner that. Once i got there he was trying to sell a car to me that has in my mind already been sold. He had put on 20' agreesive looking chrome rims w/yokohomo tires. It is a great touch but he also threw in the 18's stock wheels and rims too. I plan on getting a third set of tire/wheel for off=road use. And he had also outfitted it with infinty speakers, 2 mtx 10'' subs and alpine amps....Its honestly the best thing I have owned and have had many nice cars for my age including (firebird, mercedes c280 sport.)

What i love is HOW many people ask me what the...is that. Or how many stares i get while driving. The best one yet is while driving home near Milwakee an awesome Porsche GT Carrea passed me to only slow down and "break his neck" to check out my VX.

But I do have some questions.....

1. The engine turns over a while before actually starting? Normally always starts on the second turn.

Possibly related to a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Not sure, maybe same.

The knob, where the seat-back pivots is your friend.(rotate it)
__________________________________________________ __
4. Is it normal for 1/3 of the TOD to always be lit up for the front wheels?

NO
__
5. How do the headrests come off?

Not sure on that one

VehiGAZ
09/04/2006, 05:57 PM
Ldub, if your TOD isn't showing one LED most under normal driving conditions, it is yours that is not normal. A description of the normal operation of the TOD is even in the owner's manual (which every new manual-less VX buyer shoudldpurchase on eBay!).

Anita
09/04/2006, 06:32 PM
There are a number of possibilites for stalling and a lot of posts made on the subject. Many this thread will help:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4582&page=1&pp=15&highlight=throttle+body

Congrats on your new Vx and welcome!

Ldub
09/04/2006, 08:05 PM
Ldub, if your TOD isn't showing one LED most under normal driving conditions, it is yours that is not normal. A description of the normal operation of the TOD is even in the owner's manual (which every new manual-less VX buyer shoudldpurchase on eBay!).

Oh woops...my bad, I thought I remembered more than three little squares on the indicator. :mbrasd:

VehiGAZ
09/05/2006, 04:43 AM
I checked the front seat headrest this morning, and realized that my all-too-obvious answer was all-too-wrong... there is no push-button release for the headrest visible, nor is there one on the back of the sear under the upholstery (which is the only other place I've known them to be). Sorry!

So did you try just pulling them out really hard with excessive force?

JHarris1385
09/05/2006, 07:45 AM
Yeah I pulled pretty hard but not to the point where I was afraid i would damge something, then stopped and thought there has got to be an easier way, (ill make a thread about it.) When i meant tilt of the chair I didnt not mean recline i meant the tilt of the actual seat (Ldub.) I love this thing.

Favorit comment so far......a guy around 40 came up to me in a parking lot, and said "excuse me sorry to bother you but what is that thing, I have a hot wheel of it and never new they really made them, that thing is awesome."

JHarris1385
09/07/2006, 03:42 PM
So would a fuel pump regulator cure my starting problem and quite dying while stopped? How hard is this to do yourself? I basically am only comfrotable with oil changes so far but im up for learning. Please help......

etlsport
09/07/2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8421
theres a thread started when i got my VX.. talks about slow starting.. i still havent replaced it, problem went away when summer brought some nice weather, but i had my first experience with the vx just dying on me a few days ago, so ill be starting with replacing the FPR, i ordered it awhile back.. just sittin on the shelf waiting to be put in

JHarris1385
09/07/2006, 05:21 PM
How hard is it to replace?

etlsport
09/07/2006, 05:23 PM
its not bad at all, all i had to do was reach down behing the cladding in the general area of the light, and i found it, and you twist it a quarter turn and it pulls right out

JHarris1385
09/07/2006, 05:25 PM
wait is for the Fuel Pump Regulator?

etlsport
09/07/2006, 05:31 PM
sorry, i got mixed up between the two threads.. if you look in that posting i linked to, Tone gives a simple discription of how to do it, seeps straight forward, looks like it just unplugs, plugs in and clamps in with a retaining ring

Ldub
09/07/2006, 05:45 PM
Fuel pressure regulator is located on the fuel rail (which supplies the injectors w/fuel) on the drivers side of the engine.
Take off the plastic cover on top of the engine, find the fuel rail, trace it to the rear of the engine on the drivers side. The fuel pressure reg. sits in a cup(about 1-3/16" diam.), held in place by a snap-ring & has vacuum hose connected to it on top & a fuel line coming out of the bottom.
You would have to remove the vac. line, then the snap ring (inner), then the innards of the FPR...Re-assemble w/ new innards in reverse order. ;)