PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

Mark B
09/08/2006, 06:01 PM
I have had my VX for a few months and am getting ready to do the oil change. I want to use Mobil 1 Synthetic.
My questions are:
What grade should I use. I live in Florida
How long can I go between oil changes with Mobil 1
What oil is being used by the other VX'ers on this site.

Thanks for the help.

Joe_Black
09/09/2006, 06:46 AM
Florida is considered a "severe duty" environment, so keep that in mind when researching. I've been using Mobil-1 5W30 with good results, including picking up a slight mileage increase.

You should change your oil every 3,500 miles. The oil may be good for more mileage, but you have to realise it traps and suspends contaminants for removal by the filter. The filter can only trap a given amount before it begins to lose efficiency, eventually switching to bypass mode where it no longer filters at all. Then you have oil circulating in your engine with a higher thermal mass and lots of nasty contaminants.

The small prices of an oil and filter change is cheap insurance to keep your engine happy and running for a long time.

Oh, don't forget to change your PCV valve every other oil change!

JHarris1385
09/09/2006, 10:05 AM
What kind of oil should i use here in Indiana, southern that is? 5 quarts right?

Cobrajet
09/09/2006, 10:40 AM
I live in Northern Virginia and use Mobil-1 5w30 all year round. I also use Mobil-1 filters, M1-104, and change my oil every 3-4K miles. I've got just over 91K miles on her and have never had a problem (engine or otherwise.)

2K1 1K2
09/09/2006, 10:44 AM
my opinion - midwest, you're ok with 5w-30.

-jose