PDA

View Full Version : Help!

nfpgasmask
09/09/2006, 03:05 PM
Today I went 2 miles away from home to the grocery store. Spent about an hour and half at the store with my wife, came back out to the VX, started her up, and as soon as I put her in REVERSE to back out of the parking spot, I noticed the engine seemed to be running rough. I immediately shut her off and restarted. Same thing. I got out of the parking spot and put her in DRIVE, the engine was still running rough. Then the CHECK ENGINE light came on and started flashing. I drove around a bit in the parking lot at idle speed for about 2 minutes and then parked her and shut down. I checked the oil level, and it was a little low, so I added a little oil, and checked it again, the oil level was fine. I waited a couple minutes and started her up again, same thing.

With the hood up and the engine running, there is no audible knock or anything like that. Needless to say, I am afraid to drive my VX for fear that I will make whatever the problem is worse. So now my truck is sitting in the grocery store parking lot, just waiting to be broken into.

The best part is, there is a Pep Boys in the plaza across the street. I walked over to see if one of the mechs could attach a scan tool and give me the code, but they said it would be $84 to run diags and they didn't have time today.

So, we walked home. Here I am at the computer wondering what the heck could have SUDDENLY gone wrong. I checked the forums and it seems like it could be the EGR Valve or the Intake Gasket, but I really have absolutely no idea.

I just rolled over 30k and I was about to change the oil this afternoon as well. (thats why I had oil in the truck in the grocery store parking lot, cause I just bought some at Pep Boys a few minutes before). I am running Mobile 1 - Full Synth 15W50 at the moment. I have been doing a lot of driving lately also.

I don't know what the problem could be. Everything was running super good until this, which seems to have happened out of the blue.

Please help!

Bart

Triathlete
09/09/2006, 03:16 PM
If the check engine light is flashing that is not good. Do not drive it. If check engine light is steady on you will be okay to drive it the couple miles home. Rough idle could be caused by a LOT of things. Without the code being read to narrow it down it would just be random guessing. The two things you mentioned will cause that as well as computer problems, clogged injectors, fuel regulator, fuel filter...........the list could go on. If you have a checkers or auto zone near you you could have someone pull you there and get the code read for free. Or for $10 more than what Chump Boys want to charge for a "diagnosis" you can buy your own code reader. They run from about $100-170.

nfpgasmask
09/09/2006, 03:21 PM
Greeeeeeaaaaaaaaat. Just what I wanna hear. After I blew the engine in my Xterra I am deathly afraid to drive it even 1 mile at idle speed. I will buy a scan tool tomorrow I guess. Are there any special connectors I need to hook it up? Also, can you explain where I need to hook it up?

Man, I have only had her since May, and already something wrong, and only 30k miles. I do not have good luck with cars.

Thanks,
Bart

PS - In the city NOTHING is free.

If the check engine light is flashing that is not good. Do not drive it. If check engine light is steady on you will be okay to drive it the couple miles home. Rough idle could be caused by a LOT of things. Without the code being read to narrow it down it would just be random guessing. The two things you mentioned will cause that as well as computer problems, clogged injectors, fuel regulator, fuel filter...........the list could go on. If you have a checkers or auto zone near you you could have someone pull you there and get the code read for free. Or for $10 more than what Chump Boys want to charge for a "diagnosis" you can buy your own code reader. They run from about $100-170.

Triathlete
09/09/2006, 03:41 PM
No special hook ups needed. The plug is under the dash on the drivers side near the kick panel ( same place they hook up for emissions testing).

nfpgasmask
09/09/2006, 04:17 PM
So what you are saying is that I could buy any OBD II scan tool from an AutoParts store and that is all I need? My buddy said I may need a certain attachment or card to read Isuzu codes. I just wanna make sure I get what I need the first time around since I am now 100% bicycle ridden.

And so, in the last hour, I went back to the parking lot with my buddy who is pretty much a mechanic, but mostly with Dodge, Jeep and Ford trucks. I disconnected my battery for a few minutes and then reconnected it. Initially after I restarted the CHECK ENGINE light was off. Both my and my friend agreed I should not leave it in the parking lot (its just begging for trouble in Chicago). Its really only about half a mile from me to the store so I idled it home, giving it only a teeny bit of gas as needed. The CHECK ENGINE light came back on solid after about 20 seconds. Then it flashed 20 or so times and went solid again. It did that 2 times and then started flashing continuously.

My VX is now safe in my garage for the moment, but I am not sure where to start.

My friend said he thinks it could be any of the following problems:

1) Bad O2 Sensor
2) EGR
3) Spark plugs need changing
4) Intake Gasket

So my question now is, should I buy a scan tool or would I be better off just getting her towed to a mechanic and having a full tune-up done and what not since I am at 30k already.

I do not know how difficult it is to clean/replace my EGR Valve, nor to I really know what it even looks like. I'm gonna go back and read some more previous posts and also peruse the manual.

Any additional help is much appreciated. I am very angry and depressed about this.

Thanks - Bart

PS - On a lighter note however, there is a good possibility that I have finally landed a job out west (Reno, NV). I will find out Monday or Tuesday if I get the job. If I do get the job, I will be needing to drive out there from Chicago within the next few weeks, so better this happening now than in the middle of a corn field in Nebraska. So, I'm trying to stay positive :).

No special hook ups needed. The plug is under the dash on the drivers side near the kick panel ( same place they hook up for emissions testing).

Anita
09/09/2006, 04:57 PM
Bart,

Im so sorry that has happened to you! :( At least you got her home. Kpaske had a write-up with photos on how to clean the EGR on his website, but it looks like it cant be accessed now.

Im sure the knowledgable members will chime in here.

psychos2
09/09/2006, 05:17 PM
You can get the obd2 reader at walmart.I think it is around $50. I believe the spark plugs are supposed to last 100,000 miles. The first thing you need to do is check the codes. shawn

Triathlete
09/09/2006, 05:17 PM
Hmm, I thought all the plugs on the scanners were the same....no expert by any means and I don't own one (auto zone and checkers are only 3/4 mile from my house). If your not to mecanically inclined may be worth having it taken to the shop. Just ake sure its one you trust and that has a good reputation...plus knows Isuzus! There are plenty of Chicago VXers on this board that can give you some recomendations.
God luck on the new job prospect...you'll be a ot closer to Moab! :naughty:

nfpgasmask
09/09/2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the sentiments, Anita. I just really don't understand how a problem like this could be happening at only 30k miles....

I am really hoping it isn't something serious/ultra-expensive. I really love my VX and I want to keeping loving it for several years.

Depending on how things go tommorow (I'm gonna buy a scan tool I think), I may have it towed to a mechanic on Monday to give my VX a whole check up, tune up and 30k maintenance, which will probably blow through most of my next paycheck, further delaying my new tires and rims (which are suddenly not on my mind anymore).

Bart

Bart,

Im so sorry that has happened to you! :( At least you got her home. Kpaske had a write-up with photos on how to clean the EGR on his website, but it looks like it cant be accessed now.

Im sure the knowledgable members will chime in here.

nfpgasmask
09/09/2006, 05:25 PM
Well, as far as being mechanically inclined, I suppose I am. My only problem is when I have no idea what to do. Once I know what has to be done, I'm usually pretty gung-ho about doing the work myself.

Nocturnal recommended Espo's here in Chiacgo, so I may be calling over there on Monday morning.

For me, the only close auto parts store is Pep Boys, and I really don't like that place. It feels like they are trying to rip you off the second you walk in the door.

God luck on the new job prospect...you'll be a ot closer to Moab! :naughty:
Exactly ;) Let's just hope I can get my VX out there too....

Bart

nfpgasmask
09/09/2006, 05:26 PM
Yup, that is what I intend to do tomorrow, first thing. To bad there are no Walmarts in the city. Its at least a 15-20 minutes drive to the nearest one in the burbs.

Thanks for the tip.

Bart

You can get the obd2 reader at walmart.I think it is around $50. I believe the spark plugs are supposed to last 100,000 miles. The first thing you need to do is check the codes. shawn

Triathlete
09/09/2006, 05:53 PM
You sound a lot like me....if I know what to do I can do it!

And I'd stay far away from PepBoys for any work. I bet 99.9 of their shop people don't know what a VX is and the other .1 have only seen a picture somewhere!

I had a rough idle problem once but had a steady check engine light...it was the spark plugs. The previous owner had changed the originals out for some really crappy cheap ones. Put in some plus 2's and its ran great ever since.

nfpgasmask
09/09/2006, 08:36 PM
Well, I've done a ton of reading tonight, and all signs point to EGR.

So, my first goal for tomorrow is to get a scan tool and see what codes are being thrown.

If it is EGR related, can someone tell me what codes I am likely to see?

Also, if it is EGR related, should I replace my EGR or can I just take it off and clean it without replacing any parts?

Loosing sleep over it,

Bart

nfpgasmask
09/09/2006, 08:54 PM
Also, this might sound really dumb, but could being low on gas cause any weird problems?

Bart

Hotsauce
09/10/2006, 04:30 AM
EGR or intake gasket will not cause flashing CEL. Both cause steady light, and false codes that say o2 sensor low voltage, and low air meter reading, and one or two other codes I don't remember.

Just checking. This is check engine light, or oil pressure warning light?

John C.

nfpgasmask
09/10/2006, 05:03 AM
Hmmm, ok, than the first thing I am going to do it get the code read and probably change my plugs. Who knows what the dealer did to my VX before I bought it, you never know, maybe they threw some cheap-o plugs in there.

And yes, it is NOT the oil pressure light, it is a flashing orange CHECK ENGINE light.

And yes, it frightens me terribly.

Bart

EGR or intake gasket will not cause flashing CEL. Both cause steady light, and false codes that say o2 sensor low voltage, and low air meter reading, and one or two other codes I don't remember.

Just checking. This is check engine light, or oil pressure warning light?

John C.

Joe_Black
09/10/2006, 05:20 AM
Disconnect your battery for at least 30 minutes, get some fuel in the tank and then see how it runs and if you're still throwing code. Rough running indicates an issue with fuel or ignition, so you should be able to limp it a short distance if you need to. Likely you've got either a failed sensor or loose/bad connection to one. The ECU controls fuel and ignition based on what the various sensors are telling it, so if it gets incorrect information it will run rough. Don't start swapping parts until you know what the issue is as you'll likely exaggerate the issue and not really know what the cause is.

This doesn't sound like anything serious, you'll just have your patience tried tracking the fault down. A decent OBDII code reader is a must-have for anyone owning an equipped vehicle and planning on keeping their wallets safe from the stealership. ;)

nfpgasmask
09/10/2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks Joe, could you recommend 1 or 2 brands and/or models of OBD II readers so I know what to buy? I want to make sure I get the right type and any and all connectors/cards/adapters I may need (if any) since I will probably ride my bike over to Murrays in a little while and buy one.

I agree, I don't want to start jacking around under the hood until I get the code read and have some sort of idea wtf is happening to my VX.

Thanks - Bart

Disconnect your battery for at least 30 minutes, get some fuel in the tank and then see how it runs and if you're still throwing code. Rough running indicates an issue with fuel or ignition, so you should be able to limp it a short distance if you need to. Likely you've got either a failed sensor or loose/bad connection to one. The ECU controls fuel and ignition based on what the various sensors are telling it, so if it gets incorrect information it will run rough. Don't start swapping parts until you know what the issue is as you'll likely exaggerate the issue and not really know what the cause is.

This doesn't sound like anything serious, you'll just have your patience tried tracking the fault down. A decent OBDII code reader is a must-have for anyone owning an equipped vehicle and planning on keeping their wallets safe from the stealership. ;)

nfpgasmask
09/10/2006, 10:48 AM
OK, after not getting much sleep last night, today I got up and went in the garage. I started up the VX, same rough idle, especially in gear. I went back in and moped in front of the PC for about an hour, and then my buddy called and said we should at least change the spark plugs. I said ok since I figure it won't hurt.

So, I got some plugs from Pep Boys and went back to the garage and changed all the plugs. Took less than and hour. That right hand screw in the back really pissed me off. Anyway, the plug change went smooth. My old plugs looked ok, not overly burnt or anything.

We unplugged the battery while we did this work as well. Once the plugs were back in and ready to go, I hooked up the battery and fired up the VX. Still, things were rough but the CE light had not come back on...

My buddy had to leave and I decided it was time to go get some gas, despite the fact that I didn't want to drive her at all in this condition. So I went in, cleaned up and had some lunch, then went back out and fired her up. To my surprise, the engine seemed to be running better. Fingers crossed. I back out of the garage, still OK, no CE light.

I rolled 3 blocks to the nearest gas station and still no CE light. Then I filled up the tank with PREMIUM gas @ $3.29 a gallon. It cost me $61.54 before the pump clicked off. This means I was HELLA low on gas. I have run her down to E a couple times before but never put $61.54 in, even when gas was like $3.59 a gallon for regular! Now, the thing is, my low feul lamp never came on. Since I have owned the VX I have never even seen it on. And for those of you wondering why I let the gas get so low in the first place, well, look above ($3.29 a gallon). I usually fill up in the 'burbs by work since it is about .25 - .35 cents cheaper. And I figured I had enough to get out there. Basically, I was just being lazy and cheap. That being said, this was:

THE FIRST TIME, AND THE LAST TIME

I will ever let my VX get this low on gas again. After the fill up, I drove around aimlessly a bit with no CE and the engine feeling "normal".

Now I am home and about to go back out and change the oil, which was my plan from the get go yesterday.

So, as for right now, I think things are normal again. I don't know if it was the gas level, bad gas, water in my tank or actually the spark plugs.

Your guess is as good as mine. Any extra pointers or tips welcome.

Hopefully I am good to go. I will report back tomorrow after a drive back and forth to work (about 15 each way).

Thanks everyone,

Bart

Triathlete
09/10/2006, 11:20 AM
I've ran mine out of gas twice (don't ask). It never had any ill running problems. It ran...gas ran out...engine stopped runing! Put in gas and it fired right up and ran like a champ!
Also try tapping on your fuel rail. It may be clogged. Run some cleaner through it.

nfpgasmask
09/10/2006, 11:30 AM
Well, I suppose it could have been the plugs. I honestly don't know, and I'm still not 100% sure all is well.

Would it be possible for me to have had some "bad" gas? I mean, I have never experienced anything like this in all of my cars I have ever had.

Bart

I've ran mine out of gas twice (don't ask). It never had any ill running problems. It ran...gas ran out...engine stopped runing! Put in gas and it fired right up and ran like a champ!
Also try tapping on your fuel rail. It may be clogged. Run some cleaner through it.

Joe_Black
09/10/2006, 01:03 PM
It's very likey you could have had a little bit of water rolling around on the bottom of the tank since it's heavier than gas, and by letting your VX get so low it managed to get into the fuel line. Keep some 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol on hand to put in occasionally as that's the same stuff in "water remover", just much less expensive.

If it would have been the plugs you would have seen an immediate difference. Don't forget to note the date and mileage info in your maintenance log for the plug change! ;)

nfpgasmask
09/10/2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks Joe! Its funny, you should see my maintenace log. I made a special VehiCROSS binder and I keep it under my seat. I write down everything I do to my VX, and I mean EVERYTHING.

So yes, mileage, plug change, oil change, filter change, PCV Valve, all noted and then some.

And just another quick update, I just finished changing the oil and took her around the block again, things are looking good. I might go to get some dinner at Chilis (Its a chips & salsa and beer night) which is a ways out in the burbs so I may take the VX out on the highway shortly.

Thanks - Bart

It's very likey you could have had a little bit of water rolling around on the bottom of the tank since it's heavier than gas, and by letting your VX get so low it managed to get into the fuel line. Keep some 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol on hand to put in occasionally as that's the same stuff in "water remover", just much less expensive.

If it would have been the plugs you would have seen an immediate difference. Don't forget to note the date and mileage info in your maintenance log for the plug change! ;)

nfpgasmask
09/11/2006, 08:34 AM
Hey, what about this product called "HEET"??

It is supposed to clear up condensation in your gas tank. Anyone ever use it on their VX?

It sounds similar to your alcohol method, Joe.

Bart

Joe_Black
09/11/2006, 08:37 AM
HEET is pretty much just methanol which does the same thing at a premium price. A lot of folk use it for making small (like less than a litre) batches of biodiesel and also for fueling small-scale pulsejet engines.

nfpgasmask
09/11/2006, 08:58 AM
Premium price?? I just bought a jug for $1.19.... ;)

Bart

HEET is pretty much just methanol which does the same thing at a premium price. A lot of folk use it for making small (like less than a litre) batches of biodiesel and also for fueling small-scale pulsejet engines.

Joe_Black
09/11/2006, 09:14 AM
Okay smarty, that's still twice as much as some isopropyl. :p

nfpgasmask
09/11/2006, 09:34 AM
:bwgy:

Okay smarty, that's still twice as much as some isopropyl. :p

zilik
09/11/2006, 09:43 AM
Since water is heavier than gas is it not rolling around on the bottom of the tank all of the time? Unless we have floating pickups in our tanks I don't think the volume of gas would make much difference.

Gary

Joe_Black
09/11/2006, 10:51 AM
Since water is heavier than gas is it not rolling around on the bottom of the tank all of the time? Unless we have floating pickups in our tanks I don't think the volume of gas would make much difference.

Gary
The bottom of the tank isn't perfectly smooth and water will tend to accumulate in the low spots and stay there while a consistent level of fuel is providing compressive force on the liquid. When the tanks gets very low the fuel will tend to slosh around to the extent that these low areas are completely exposed to air and will be picked up and moved to the pick-up area of the tank more readily than when a greater volume of fuel is in the tank.

That's really an over-simplification of what happens, but although infrequent it still happens. ;)

nfpgasmask
09/11/2006, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I talked to my mom yesterday, she is STILL driving her '96 Trooper, and she said this exact thing has happened to her a couple times...

Bart

vxDAKINECHICvx
09/11/2006, 01:05 PM
My VX had a similar problem about a month ago (running rough), but the CE light never came on. Come to find out the place where I got my gas a few days earlier was known for giving cars problems. ( I had no knowledge of this beforehand of course). The bf ran some sort of (lets call it 'gas ointment' -since Im too stupid to remember the name of it) in the gas tank, cleaned it out and haven't had anymore problems. So that may have been your problem. My 2 cents...not sure what its worth.