PDA

View Full Version : powervault mufflers

pbkid
09/12/2006, 09:08 AM
hey guys i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about powervault mufflers...i heard one on don boss' VX and loved the way it sounded but now that i have started looking for one for myself i cant find it anywhere...any ideas?

Joe_Black
09/12/2006, 09:15 AM
I've got one brand-new in the box that can be yours for $149 plus shipping. ;)

rowhard
09/12/2006, 01:38 PM
Joe, if he doesn't want it, can I have it??

I heard one on newthings when I was buying the carbon fibre insert from him and loved it.

Joe_Black
09/12/2006, 02:12 PM
You bet! ;)

crager34
09/12/2006, 02:20 PM
Nice thread hijak.

I am not sure if there is a differnece between the PV1 and PV2 or not. On my first VX, I had the PV2 installed and it was LOUD, but cool. On my second VX, it has the PV1. It's quieter to me and sounds great. I like it more than the PV2.

rowhard
09/12/2006, 03:19 PM
So Joe, Which one are you selling? I'm old, I like a nice mellow sound like a Abarth system.

Anita
09/12/2006, 03:22 PM
Whether you get a 1 or 2, it will take time breaking in to mellow... especially if it is new.

rowhard
09/12/2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks Anita, I like mellow like a good bottle of Merlot. Will send Joe a pm with paypal info. But will give pbkid first refusal of course.

Anita
09/12/2006, 03:44 PM
PV 2 are a bit louder, more aggressive sounding when new. Not quite like Merlot, it is more like Red Bull ;)

MZ-N10
09/12/2006, 04:19 PM
well after about 20k miles the pv2 is starting to sound ricey.....sounds like metal rattling in the muffler....

rowhard
09/12/2006, 04:36 PM
Red Bull, heart attack in a can.

Hope it is a PV1 he is selling, don't like loud and definitely DO NOT want ricey.

Next thing you know I will want a 20 odd inch subwoofer to crack the roadway with.

pbkid
09/12/2006, 05:36 PM
it is a 1 or a 2? because im looking for the 2....and it is single or dual exhaust?

Joe_Black
09/12/2006, 05:49 PM
It is a PV2 that I originally bought to go on the IronMan, but decided against it so as to not disturb whatever planetary alignment that has occurred to give it more than average stock power and mileage.

I installed a PV2 on the Dragon right after they became available and it was a bit harsh initially but mellowed within a few months of daily driving. My personal comparison of the sound would be to a 4-cylinder Japanese sport-bike with a 4-into-1. I've got a '73 Kawasaki Z1 900 running a Kerker race megaphone with a 2.5" baffle and it sounds a lot like the PV2, hungry and looking for trouble! :p

Heraclid
09/12/2006, 07:23 PM
Most people seem to get one that mellows with time. I sure didn't, though. I have the PV2. I like it alright, but I will probably change mufflers soon. I'm sort of used to it, but it's the way other drivers feel compelled to act around it that is getting old. That may not change with a new muffler though - it's a VX after all. Anyway, mine never mellowed out. Inexplicably, it does have more mellow moments some times, but it never stays that way. I think it sounds real good. Just a bit loud off the line and everyone gets the wrong idea when in fact you aren't even mashing the pedal at all. Oh well.

Speaking of which, I had a VX like mine go by me on the highway today, but I was in a work vehicle. The cladding on it was pretty faded and the left rear cladding was sort of hanging off a bit, but still. When it comes up in your rear view mirror, it is definitely a sight - it's a little, well, weird, relative to everything else you usually see. Which I love. It's still a rush for me to see one, especially seeing one cruising out on the highway, and an Astral like mine... sort of get to see what I look like driving around.

MZ-N10
09/12/2006, 09:00 PM
well it isnt always ricey...only when i go 3000-4000ish rpm. it sounds really nice down low...really mellow up high....

Anita
09/12/2006, 09:17 PM
My PV 0 sounds real mellow now after so many years. Spicy Cabernet.

rowhard
09/13/2006, 02:33 AM
Spicy Cabernet would work. Will see if pbkid wants it since it is a 2.

pbkid
09/13/2006, 08:38 AM
alright well sounds like its sold as soon as i get my next paycheck, which will be next week...ill send you a pm..

Ldub
09/13/2006, 02:51 PM
Spicy Cabernet would work. Will see if pbkid wants it since it is a 2.

:homer: mmmmmmmm...spicy crabmeat :homer: :_drool:

rowhard
09/13/2006, 03:54 PM
So, now that pbkid is going to buy Joe's PV2, my second choice is the MorganTec Silencer.

Now I have Mike's cold air intake system and the man is an artist with a heliarc or what ever he uses to weld it with. Fine workmanship. So I have no doubt in my mine that his silencer will be first rate, but has anyone heard one (other then the audio clip)? To me the clip was a little raspy but then it proably would be in a garage when taching it up.

Has anyone heard one with and without the baffling?

Again, I'm looking for mellow tone.

geshaw30
09/13/2006, 03:58 PM
I'll be removing my 2 yr old "broken-in" PV2 here in a couple weeks. If it comes through the replacement surgery intact then I'd be willing to sell & ship if there is anyone interested.
________
Mflb Vape (http://vaporizer.org)

cyronman
01/14/2007, 11:28 PM
... my second choice is the MorganTec Silencer.

...has anyone heard one (other then the audio clip)? To me the clip was a little raspy but then it proably would be in a garage when taching it up.

Has anyone heard one with and without the baffling?

Again, I'm looking for mellow tone.

I test drove a VX 2 months ago, while looking for mine, that had one of MT's mufflers on and I was very impressed. Not sure exactly which one it was (Tec, can you please help out here?) but I want one for my rig. It had a very throaty, grumbly purr to it but didn't cause an obnoxious, uncomfortable volume.
It's not high on my list, a few months out, but I saw this post and I thought I should bring it up.

johnnyapollo
01/15/2007, 06:26 AM
My PV1 has a great sound - not loud at all at idle, but has a great throaty growl at WOT and right at startup if I goose the gas a little - it actually turns heads - heh.

-- John