PDA

View Full Version : jack and jack stands

etlsport
09/23/2006, 05:16 AM
feel kinda foolish askin this, but i figure id rather feel foolish than feel squished under a car.. ive started doing enough work on the vx that i can justify buying a jack/jack stands set, theres an "inexpensive" craftsman set rated at 2-1/4 tons, does this mean i can use it to hold up a vehicle thats 2-1/4 tons.. or that each jack stand can hold up 2-1/4 tons so i could hold up a 9 ton vehicle with four of them?

thanks all

Joe_Black
09/23/2006, 05:49 AM
Typically the rating is for the individual jack stand as they are often used singly. It's better to have more capacity than you need as the overall size difference between jack stands is relatively insignificant.

Here's a link to basic safety using a floor jack and jack stands: Jack Safety (http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20041001js.html#)

Always double-check your stands and jack positioning when working under or around a jacked vehicle, and be sure to use recommended lift and jacking points. People die every year from vehicles sliding off or collapsing jacks and jack stands.

Fortunately for us there's very few things that require the VX to be jacked up. ;)

etlsport
09/23/2006, 05:58 AM
thanks joe, great link! i dunno why i didnt think to look on a site like that, im on a first name basis with the guys at advanced auto up the street... a few weeks ago, my girlfriend drove the VX up there while i was working on her car and she said when she pulled up someone from inside came out and started askin her about the vx and where she got it and if it was hers then when she mentioned my name they said they were makin sure she hadnt stolen it!

im also glad i dont have to pick the VX up for much of anything, i figure jack stands will make rotating my tires and painting my calipers much easier, plus the misses has a del sol... ive even contemplated using a jack just to try to get in it haha

rowhard
09/23/2006, 09:28 AM
I remember when jacking aircraft with tripod jacks, (same as a jack stand) we use to have to beat the legs into submission with wheel chocks so that all three feet were on the ground. Same rule applies with jack stands, espically when putting the whole car on stands, make sure all tree stand feet are flat on the ground. Just give them a smack with a rubber mallet. :smack:

Tone
09/23/2006, 11:55 AM
And be sure to get a jack that has at LEAST a 19" lift height - 23" is the max I have seen @ Sam's for a nice one $79