PDA

View Full Version : Torsion bar

texasvx
09/28/2006, 07:48 AM
I just recently purchased my VX and I knew that when I bought it it had been in a front end accident. I also noticed that the front end sat down on the right front. I took it to a shop to make sure that there was no hidden damage to the front and then he adjusted the torsion bar. He had quite a bit of trouble turning the torsion bar to get it level.
My question is. I recently ordered the OEM 912 spring to do a lift on it. I just afraid that when they come in that I won't be able to adjust those torsion bars anymore to get the front end lifted where it need to be. Do you know of any reason why those torsion bar would be so much trouble to adjust it up? :confused:

Triathlete
09/28/2006, 09:00 AM
If you lift the front end a little with a jack to unload the t bars they shouldturn fairly easy with a good socket wrench. I had to use a breaker bar with mine. The adjusters are basically just big screws. They are under the vehicle, never turned and exposed to the elements, dirt, grime and whatever else comes up off the road...so they could be extected to be a little tough to turn.

texasvx
09/28/2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. I just didn't want to buy the springs and all and then not be able to get the front lifted....

Ldub
09/28/2006, 05:18 PM
Even if the torsion bar were tweaked, you should be able to re-index it (under no load) in the adjuster for more lift.
However, IF it's tweaked, it may now have a different "rate" (strength) under load than the non-tweaked side.