PDA

View Full Version : Advise on buying a 2001 VX

curtains
09/29/2006, 10:14 PM
I'm going to be looking at a 2001 VX saturday I already know from talking to the salesman that it was a least VX it has 84,000 miles on it and he wants $14,000 for it. If anyone can help me to check this VX out with some good tips to look for to see if the VX is worth this kind of money.

Thanks

SPAZZ
09/29/2006, 11:17 PM
they probably paid $4,000 for it. Now they want $14,000 for it..interesting how they tell the people that they want to buy it from that it isn't worth anything...buy then they turn around and sell it for at least $10,000 more than what they bought it for.

That is what I have been seeing here in Boise area. I talked to one guy who sold his and the dealers told him it wasn't worth more than $2300. Then they turned around and sold it for $17,000. Interesting :rolleyes:

I thought about buying a used H1 several times for between $30,000 and $40,000 if they gave me a good rate on my VX for a trade in, but they told me $3,345 at most if it was in excellent condition and mine is a 2001. They said Vehicross's are just too hard to sell and are too much effort to do so and they must charge such a huge markup for advertising etc. But, that one they were selling for $17,000 was a 1999 and it sold for almost $16,000 in just two months and that was only a year and a half ago. All they did was just put it in the paper.

Same story with a bunch of others.

Anita
09/29/2006, 11:37 PM
Work those windows. Notice if they slow down going up and if they tilt doing it. They are a subborn problem for many of us.
Check radio/cd player.. bring some cd's you dont mind losing :rolleyes:
Take a long drive.. streets, freeways. Different speeds. Listen carefully for odd sounds- grinding, whining.
Carefully inspect the hood inserts for beginnings of cracks.
Check inside of rims for flaking of chrome.
Make sure alarm and locking door mechanisms work with key fob.
I would check the 4 low if you have any ideas of taking it off road. Check it anyway.

Did you do a Carfax on it? Get one - it might help to know the history of the vehicle although not all accidents can show up.

transio
09/30/2006, 04:14 AM
I already know from talking to the salesman that it was a least VX it has 84,000 miles on it and he wants $14,000 for it.That's too much money, and it's probably beat up. For 14k, you can get a lot more VX than that. Trust me, I know. I just sold my beautiful '01 Proton w/ 46k miles for the same price. Be patient. Shop around. I would offer the dealer $11k tops. Show him you're serious, but let him know you know what the car is "worth" (i.e. what he paid for it). If he wants to move it, he'll sell. If you're not picky about color, you can do better on price. Yellow and black go for a premium.

curtains
09/30/2006, 01:53 PM
Work those windows. Notice if they slow down going up and if they tilt doing it. They are a subborn problem for many of us.
Check radio/cd player.. bring some cd's you dont mind losing :rolleyes:
Take a long drive.. streets, freeways. Different speeds. Listen carefully for odd sounds- grinding, whining.
Carefully inspect the hood inserts for beginnings of cracks.
Check inside of rims for flaking of chrome.
Make sure alarm and locking door mechanisms work with key fob.
I would check the 4 low if you have any ideas of taking it off road. Check it anyway.

Did you do a Carfax on it? Get one - it might help to know the history of the vehicle although not all accidents can show up.

Well I looked at this car about 2 weeks ago I went back today to talk over a deal while I was there I went over the car again and noticed when I checked the oil it was low at least a quart and dark but I also remember when I checked the oil 2 weeks ago it was the same thing low and dark plus they said the car needs a electical part to get the information gauge to work(Thats the little diagram on the left side on the drivers side that shows if its in 4 wheel or not) So the way I left it was that he comes down to 13,000 and give a extended warrenty for a year and I'll buy it.
Is that good or no?

Joe_Black
09/30/2006, 04:25 PM
As Steve pointed out above $11K tops, and that's being generous. For $14K you could be patient and likely find a much better deal at half the mileage. If mileage doesn't bother you, and it shouldn't with an Isuzu, you can find some really sweet deals for well under $10K.

curtains
09/30/2006, 05:09 PM
As Steve pointed out above $11K tops, and that's being generous. For $14K you could be patient and likely find a much better deal at half the mileage. If mileage doesn't bother you, and it shouldn't with an Isuzu, you can find some really sweet deals for well under $10K.

Thanks for the help I was starting to think I was letting the car slip by, but I was thinking the same thing. Now I also saw one that was a 1999 with 77,000 miles on it so there's no way its worth 14,000 bucks and its in good shape not very good shape so I'm thinking $9,000 right?