PDA

View Full Version : wobbling in the steering

abv
10/03/2006, 11:35 PM
HI all im looking at buying a vx and I noticed when I drove this one that there was a "looseness" and wobbling that I felt in the steering. Feels like there is a bunch of slop. This is most pronounced during coasting or deceleration..around 45mph. I read the post about the steering box adjustment, Just wanted a second opinion. the vx was street driven and has 18 inch wheels with p zeros on them.

Any help would be much appricated I love the truck besides that and want to get it so if anyone can get back to me quickly It would be very helpful..
thanks again!!!

Ldub
10/04/2006, 12:50 AM
Sounds a lot like a crooked belt in one of the front tires.
Could also be a rim that's bent.
Take it a tire shop & have the front tires/wheels checked.

thedutchguy
10/04/2006, 01:31 AM
Check the tyre pressure first, then the tires and rims for dammage.
If you still have play, there's an adjustment bolt on the steering box.
Be careful though and don't overtighten.

ZEUS
10/05/2006, 06:35 AM
Mine has started doing this too and I have oversized tires. Right around 40 it is at it's worst but at highway speeds it is not even noticable. I have been wondering if the tires came out of balance (lost a wheel weight), alignment is off, or if the oversized tires have loosened things up. Sounds like I might need to check the steering box. Thanks vehicross.info!

Tone
10/05/2006, 12:14 PM
There is an adjustment on the steering box that will help with that. You will need an open end wrench (I think 15mm) and a large bladed screwdriver. The nut/screw combo is located near the bottom of the radiator shroud on the driver's side. Loosen the nut while holding the screw. Tighten the screw while holding the nut. Retighten the nut against the steering box.

AlaskaVX
10/05/2006, 01:13 PM
I have 33" tires and mine definately has the shakes at 40-45, I tightened the steering before (a year ago) and it seemed to work for a week but it came back. I guess I just learned to deal with it but it is VERY annoying when others are in my car and I look like I am suffering from parkinsens with the arm shaking like crazy. I can white-knuckle it and minimise it but then I get a clicking noise from the wheel trying to go back and forth and it feels bad so I just learned that that is the natire of the beast, if anyone figures it out I really want to know. With stock tires/rims I never had this problem so the tire or rim could definately be the culprit in your case.

WILLY
10/06/2006, 01:37 AM
sounds like bad rotors to me.out of round/thickness

WILLY
10/06/2006, 01:39 AM
mine had that prob.when i bought it so i had the rotors and pads replaced and no more prob.

SkidPlate
10/06/2006, 04:03 PM
I notice a huge difference in the loose steering feeling between my summer and winter tires.

Summer: 285/55-18 Pirelli Scorpion Zero
Winter: 245/75-16 Firestone Destination M/T

Different rims and all but the tread patch is over 10" across on the summer tires, versus 7" with the winter. Plus my summer tires are well worn.

On well traveled paved roads, especially at traffic lights where the pavement has deep grooves, my summer rubber really throws me around. The winter tires don't follow the groves at all and make the steering feel much tighter.

I did notice an improvement when I had the front berings repacked, but the difference in tire width is like night and day.

Since I have the same tires I would say (given the groves of the road your on) that the majority of what you are feeling can be fixed with narrower, less worn tires. YMMV

WormGod
10/09/2006, 07:28 AM
I have had the same issue ever since my VX faught a wall, and the wall won. All new front end, including a new steering box. Tried the box adjustment and it did little to help. I may actually have some permanent damage somewhere since I tried everything and nothing seems to work. I have just since gotten used to the loose steering. Gets a little scary at highway speeds and calls for 100% of my driving attention.

I am running 285x60 rubbers on 18x8.5 wheels and was cpnsidering downsizing to perhaps a 16 or 17 with slightly smaller rubbers since this appeared to work on my Rodeo, as it had a similar issue. Tried everything else already and winter is coming up, so I will be driving it more.

colmhd
10/09/2006, 10:46 AM
I recently changed to a wider tyre and found a wobble around 45-50 espically when accelerating and braking has become a bit of a worry.

colmhd
11/20/2006, 11:45 AM
Found out I need a new front shock, that's causing the wobble. not the tyres.