PDA

View Full Version : oil question

curtains
10/08/2006, 03:44 PM
I was just looking at a 2001 black VX at the dealers lot and I was checking the car out it has 80,000 miles on it very clean I drove twice I didn't see any problems except when I was looking at the engine I checked the oil and the dip stick read nothing I told the dealer about it and he said that the car was in need of an oil change and thats why. My question is when I got home I went to this web site and seen some people having oil consumption problems how do I check to see if this just a simple oil change or its something else? I put a $200 deposit on it but I don't want to buy it to get a big *** problem with it.
They have mechanics there you think I could have them check it while I'm there?

etlsport
10/08/2006, 03:54 PM
the oil consumption problem is only a big problem if you dont keep an eye on it, as long as you keep tabs on it you should be fine, i dont think anyones had a really severe oil leak caused by general wear and tear

Anita
10/08/2006, 03:55 PM
oooo, danger, danger Will Robinson...

Curtains, if you have read old posts on potential problems with the VX, you know this could be a symptom of something deadly to that VX. To say they had it sitting empty and let you drive it twice without absolute basic care in checking oil levels, throws up a red flag for me.

I also recognize that I am by far extremely cautious about everything unusual.

At the least take it to a knowledgable, trusted mechanic.

etlsport
10/08/2006, 03:58 PM
good point anita... didnt even think about the fact that its been test driven w/o suffucient oil

curtains
10/08/2006, 04:17 PM
good point anita... didnt even think about the fact that its been test driven w/o suffucient oil

I hear ya, so I hate to do it but I should scratch this one off? and look else where? :confused:

Triathlete
10/08/2006, 04:46 PM
I think I'd get my deposit back and run. There are plenty of other VX's on the market. You may have to take a weekend and drive it home from another area but what better way to get to know your VX!

CrnCnn
10/10/2006, 08:27 PM
My wife came home and said the oil light flickered a couple times on the way home. Went to check the oil.... NOTHING!!!... 3 quarts later its full again. Havent had anything eat this much oil since my 80 Wagoneer.