PDA

View Full Version : "Official!!!" Colorado Colors Meet 2006

Moncha
10/11/2006, 10:53 AM
Had to start over....

Dates:
Friday Oct. 20, 2006 travel/stay day/night (If Needed)
Saturday Oct. 21, 2006 Trail Day
Sunday Oct. 22, 2006 Departure day (maybe a short trail)

Doing some research for the general areas that would be good for everyone. (Central location=more trail time than travel), here's some choices with links to see what they are about.
Times are approximate and of course, weather permitting.

Place your vote for the location (Only once please) and what trail(s) you would like to try (As many as you want)

(A) Buena Vista area

Iron Chest Trail (http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/291.aspx) Outside of Nathrop 3-4 hrs

Wheeler Lake Trail (http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/1070.aspx) Outside of Fairplay All day

Red Cone Trail (http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/307.aspx) Off Hwy285 between Denver and Buena Vista

Slaughterhouse Trail (http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/177.aspx) Off Hwy285 25 west of Denver

(B) I-70 Way out of Denver area

Lead King/Crystal Mill Trail (http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/275.aspx) Outside of Redstone All day

Jenny Creek Trail (http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/288.aspx) Outside of Black Hawk 2-3 hrs

(C) Colorado Springs area

Saran Wrap Trail (http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/238.aspx) Outside of Colorado Springs 2-3 hrs

China Wall Trail (http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/84.aspx) Outside of Tarryall/Woodland Park 2-3 hrs

pbkid
10/12/2006, 07:49 AM
im gonna try my best to get up there for this meet, but im not sure if im gonna be able to get the time off because i work at a retail store. and this time of year is very hard to get off for anything =(. we will see what type of convincing i can do...

Moncha
10/12/2006, 07:57 AM
You better!!!! ;)

biju
10/12/2006, 10:02 AM
I know you're out there... come meet us even if you don't off road!!!

-biju.

MSHardeman
10/12/2006, 10:26 AM
biju,

You know I'm down for it. I just did a quick look through of all the trails that Moncha has posted, and it looks like he's trying to kill us again. I'm just waiting for him to pull out the old "trust me" line again.

I'm doing the 24 Hours of Moab bike race this weekend, so most of my time has been spent getting ready for that, but I promise that I will make a decision on which area I would prefer by Monday. I'm leaning towards B.V. because it seems to have the most choices, and it's probably very pretty there now.

IF we stay in a hotel, I may even be able to get the gf to come along. Stranger things have happened.

biju
10/12/2006, 10:38 AM
you bring the GF, I'll bring the COCAINE!

LOLOLOL... BWAHAHAHAHA....

-biju.

MSHardeman
10/12/2006, 10:38 AM
Just did a little more indepth look at the trails, and I think Moncha really is trying to kill us. ;eeko;

I'm hoping jeep rated trails are rated differently that what we did out in Moab. Most of the trails in the BV area are rated a 7. What the heck?! :_wtf: I had a high enough pucker factor on the 4's we where doing in Moab. The descriptions also talk about some breakage. Huh? I thought that this was supposed to be a nice VX fam get together.

Moncha
10/12/2006, 11:02 AM
Yes the Colorado Trail ratings are VERY different than the ones used in Moab...

These trails are actually pretty easy and mostly scenic for the most part. The obstacles have by-passes so they should fit the confidence of every driver. The reviewers drive jeeps and most of them pick the tough line so, of course, they will suffer from some damage.. I don't like killing anyone, I'm just throwing stuff out there. As times goes, and I drive more trails, I'll be able to make reviews that will reflect what we drive rather than jeeper's opinions.

"Trust me!!"

Salida offers quite a few lodging choices, even for those of us on a tight budget. The earlier we make solid plans the better. That way we can try to get in the same motel/hotel. I'm opting for the lodging as it WILL be pretty cold for the outside thing.

biju
10/12/2006, 11:08 AM
HOTEL/MOTEL is my vote....

oh - and I trust you mr. moncha. So does the dragon.

-beeej.

driver3
10/12/2006, 11:38 AM
I may actually make it! This will be the first vx event I've gone to since Moab V. I was in a UWharrie one as well.. and one over on the east side of PA.. Anyways.. I have a friend from Ohio coming in, and what a great way to show him around... so I should be in barring he has something else he needs to see. I voted for china wall.. those obstacles look cool.. and I've heard great things about tarryall and have never been there.

Moncha
10/13/2006, 12:34 PM
Hotel/Motel it is.. I KNOW there are more Colorado folks out there.. C'mon!! A week to go, don't wait 'til the last minute to decide!!!

Driver, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. We live so close, yet so far!

morgan-tec
10/13/2006, 09:23 PM
I would love to meet up with some of you guys again but i am again opting out of the dirty stuff. I had a great time last year just eating lunch and getting to know a few of you guys. Please kepp us posted of what ends up happening because i would like to meet up again similar to last year.

driver3
10/14/2006, 06:01 PM
Hey.. I was browsing last years gallery.. bring the dogs with you.. I'll be bringing mine (seeing as how my guest from Ohio still wants to go)... Mine has enough energy to keep them all going, and I need to tire him out..

Thanks

Bimati
10/15/2006, 04:59 AM
I'm gonna make that my Gypsy weekend...just let me know when and where, and I'll make it for a day or two.

I'm in GJ on the 18th, Denver/Ft. Collins on the 19th, 20th/21st is VX...wherever.

Bim

crager34
10/15/2006, 07:29 PM
Wish I could be there. Red cone is one of my favorites and Wheeler is fairly hard core getting to the Lake (unless the bull dozed that slot out). Also, seems like the high country is set for some snowy weather this week. Good luck in the high country.

fuzzy
10/17/2006, 06:38 AM
I'll probably "be like Mike" and so I'm willing to meet up around the Springs area. I'm waiting on new tires (6-8 weeks for BFG TA KOs, WTF?), so I'm running pretty well worn ones right now for trail bashing.

driver3
10/17/2006, 11:10 AM
I'm waiting on new tires (6-8 weeks for BFG TA KOs, WTF?), so I'm running pretty well worn ones right now for trail bashing.

Where are you getting them? I got mine at sears.. they had them the next day. Try them in southwest...

Moncha
10/17/2006, 04:38 PM
Depending on weather, this storm is supposed to be a good one for the area.. I don't have tires that will do well in snow (AVS = good on street, sux on snow!).. We'll know more during Wednesday.. Very unpredicable at this point.

pbkid
10/17/2006, 04:50 PM
ok guys well things are looking up for my getting there...my coworker is gonna cover for me all weekend. (she said she wanted more hours :) )...and if its snowy weather looks like i need to get my snow tires on for the trip because the current ones are bald, on top of them being really really crappy... hey i was also curious if i could bring a friend on this trip? (both in my car or in his own?)

fuzzy
10/17/2006, 05:20 PM
The tire delay is courtesy of Discount Tire (Woodmen and Powers in the Springs). Might have to check out Sears. Thanks for the advice.

Todd Adams
10/17/2006, 06:07 PM
Wish I could make it but then you guys are not gonna need new tires you are gonna need chains! These are some of my favorite trails but with as much snow as they are calling for...
Todd

Moncha
10/17/2006, 07:39 PM
... but with as much snow as they are calling for...
Todd

Shhhhhh! i was hoping if I just ignored it, the snow would go away! I do love snow very much, just not right now!!!

biju
10/17/2006, 07:44 PM
is there a plan b?

-bij

Moncha
10/17/2006, 07:46 PM
Meet for lunch in Colorado Springs??

Triathlete
10/17/2006, 09:50 PM
You guys aren't going to let a little snow stop you are you?... :_snowplow

driver3
10/18/2006, 05:24 AM
The tire delay is courtesy of Discount Tire (Woodmen and Powers in the Springs). Might have to check out Sears. Thanks for the advice.

Sears will price match discount tire (or any tire place) so if they have them.. you'll be able to pay the same price or lower if sears is already lower. Good Luck...

MSHardeman
10/18/2006, 06:26 AM
I'm all for still getting together, even if we don't get to do any wheelin'. If it does snow a lot, they may close Independence Pass, so I would need to get to you guys through Denver (or if anyone knows a quicker way let me know). Guess we'll just wait until Thursday morning to see how it goes. We've already gotten an inch or two of snow here in Basalt, so I can only imagine that it's much more at the higher elevations.

pbkid
10/18/2006, 11:15 AM
i am totally down for some lunch also...(or a little bit of slippry wheelin)...lunch would be cheaper thou :clap:

Bimati
10/19/2006, 12:21 PM
AAARRRGGGHHHH! (Beej tribute). Here I sit in a Denver parking lot in my hideously dirty VX (the passes were messy this morning), and as much as I love you guys (I REALLY do), I can't hang around for just lunch. :(

I'm diggin this completely wireless broadband aircard setup from Verizon. Can surf vehicross.info from the car!

My plan is to pout all the way back over the passes tonight about midnight.

See you in the next life!!!!!!!!...or whatever.

Bim

MSHardeman
10/19/2006, 03:40 PM
AAAARRRRGGGHHHH too. I may in Bim's shoes (not literally, because who could really fill those shoes but Bim). Since it's taken us so long to figure out if/where we were going to get together or not, I don't think I'll be able to find anyone to watch the dogs for me. I know I can bring them, but I also don't really want to pile the miles on my baby. I just went to Moab last weekend, and I have a feeling that Independence Pass will be closed this weekend (with all the supposed snow coming) and the long way around to the Springs is just a little too long.

Beeg and I had talked about a winter get together to do some skiing/boarding this season. I know MorganTec and the Kid got together some last season, so I'd like to get in on that this season.

I'll miss you guys :cryb:, but I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to the next family reunion.

biju
10/19/2006, 03:51 PM
Scallywags! All of ya...!!!! :p

cancel, keep, go, don't, stay, leave... I'm not even sure what's going at this point: where, when, why, who, etc.

I'd be up for a simple meet (lunch) if all else fails...

-biju.

pbkid
10/19/2006, 10:38 PM
im out, work fell through =(...im pouting about it all day...dont worry! but i agree with mark that we need to have a snowboarding meet up for sure...i have a winter park/copper pass this year so anyone that has the same is more than welcome to meet up with me and board. i just bout a new board and boots and jacket and everything else so im planning on going 2 days a week...

Moncha
10/20/2006, 05:46 AM
Sorry this is all jacked up.. I been getting 2-3 call outs a night along with working.. Still trying to get caught up from the vacation and just had hand surgery to repair some boo boos.

I'm up for lunch tomorrow but, where?? Old Chicago on Woodman?? Any better ideas?

MSHardeman
10/20/2006, 06:52 AM
biju,

Don't make me feel worse than I already do *sniff* :waab: You guys, and gals, are some of my most favorite people in the world, and I have a feeling that I would call you good friends even if you didn't own the coolest vehicle in the world. (Awwww, I think someone needs a hug. :heart: )

I would love to hang out with you guys, even if it was just lunch, but I've been putting too many miles on my baby. She just turned 52 and I can't seem to stop driving her. I really have a problem. I wonder if there is some twelve step program for people who love their cars TOO much? (Can't wait to see where bimati takes that one) I'm even toying with the idea of getting a VW Corrado (what is it with the "V's"? VX, VW...hmmm) to use it as a daily driver so I can park the baby in the garage and only take it out for special occasions.

I'm all for at least one VX ski trip this winter, so I'll see you guys then if not sooner.

biju
10/20/2006, 07:18 AM
mark - i understand all too well what you're going through. i hated putting mileage on my baby, and well... you know what happened, etc., etc...

See everybody at the next meet.

I also have pass to wint/cop so keep me posted on outtings.

-iju

Triathlete
10/20/2006, 08:25 AM
MSH...shes still a pup! I'm about to click over 100,000!
If you guys are really itching for some wheeling you could all just cruise down here on Nov. 11 for one of Arizonas premier trails (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9282). I garantee there will be NO snow :bwgy:

Moncha
10/20/2006, 03:00 PM
Aww ok... We'll set something up and make it no matter what...

Bimati
10/21/2006, 02:47 PM
The only consolation to missing you peeps this weekend is some adrenalin therapy. I snuck out while the VX was napping....

Bim
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Picture_015.jpg

pbkid
10/21/2006, 09:56 PM
mmmmmm...looks like fun! :clap: