PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky front end.

lostemple
10/13/2006, 10:33 AM
I bought the improved front end zerk (Sp?) fitted sway bar bushings and am still getting front end squeak. Anyone else have squeak? What was it and how did you fix it? Thanks in advance.

Going to check the hood fix. Thanks!

Joe_Black
10/13/2006, 11:46 AM
Hopefully you greased them after installing. :p

If you installed and lubricated the the new poly bushings properly then your squeak may be from the hood snubbers which you'll find just inboard of each headlight. They'll mate up with the round worn-looking spots just underneath the leading edge of the hood. They're rubber and are adjustable by turning as you would a screw or bolt. If they're out of adjustment that could be the cause of the squeak. Try adjusting them "up" (turn counter-clockwise") to increase pressure slightly against the hood. You can check by closing the hood and seeing how the alignment is with the fenders. If you really have to push the hood down to latch then they're much too high. After adjustment if you still hear the squeaking try putting a little dab of grease or belt dressing on top of each snubber.

lostemple
10/13/2006, 12:08 PM
Thank you Joe Black!

nfpgasmask
10/13/2006, 01:49 PM
I have MAD squeak! So it is the sway bar making all those mouse noises?

Bart

I bought the improved front end zerk (Sp?) fitted sway bar bushings and am still getting front end squeak. Anyone else have squeak? What was it and how did you fix it? Thanks in advance.

Going to check the hood fix. Thanks!

Joe_Black
10/13/2006, 02:43 PM
I have MAD squeak! So it is the sway bar making all those mouse noises?

Bart
Go find some speed humps in a quiet area, roll down your windows and drive over at moderate speed. If you get mad squeak it's very likely the swaybar bushings. Progressive Suspension has a generic set of greaseable poly bushings that fits our application, plus they firm up handling a little.

VCAMILO
10/13/2006, 02:51 PM
I have some mad squeaking underneath my VX. Unforunately I have not made an effort to fix it. My windows are always up and my stereo is bumping! ITS HOT IN AZ!

nfpgasmask
10/13/2006, 03:01 PM
Hey Joe, Actually, my squeaking I can hear perfectly fine with the windows up! Basically, if I am off road, or even a slightly bumpy street I can hear squeaking. At first I thought it could be the seats, because it sounds to me like springs (almost like a squeaky bed).

Bart

Go find some speed humps in a quiet area, roll down your windows and drive over at moderate speed. If you get mad squeak it's very likely the swaybar bushings. Progressive Suspension has a generic set of greaseable poly bushings that fits our application, plus they firm up handling a little.

Joe_Black
10/13/2006, 03:26 PM
If it sounds like squeaky bed springs then my money is on the swaybar bushings. ;)

Here's the thread Moncha started way-back-when with the part numbers, you can get 'em from Autozone.com or most anywhere that carries Energy Suspension products: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=521&highlight=energy+suspension

From the thread:

Energy Suspension

Front: 9.5163G Greasable Sway Bar Bushing Set 28MM

Rear: 9.5156G Greasable Sway Bar Bushing Set 3/4” 19MM

Ldub
10/13/2006, 04:04 PM
Also...culprit number three can be the hood catch.
The metal loop that the release hook catches was a bare metal to bare metal squeak fest on mine untill I fixed it, first with duct tape (what else ?) then with a peice of clear vinyl tubing slit down the side & held in place w/ zip ties.

Cobrajet
10/14/2006, 05:20 AM
Also...culprit number three can be the hood catch.
The metal loop that the release hook catches was a bare metal to bare metal squeak fest on mine untill I fixed it, first with duct tape (what else ?) then with a peice of clear vinyl tubing slit down the side & held in place w/ zip ties.
I thought I was the only one who found their squeek came from the hood catch. I used self-vulcanizing tape on mine. Now if I can just track down that little rattle in the dash...