PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a VX, need some info

bozGP
11/06/2006, 03:30 PM
There is a silver VX for sale by me here in Gainesville. FL. I have always wanted one and if I can get the guy down to the right price I will probably buy it. I am wondering what the common problems are and if there is anyhting I should look for in particular so I don't end up with a worse money pit than I have now. I am also wondering about common gas mileage, common mods, max tire sizes and widths, 0-60 & 1/4 mile times, weight, quality of the 4wd system, is it always in 4WD or is it manually selectable, and anyhting else you guys think could be relevant. I have a Grand Prix GTP currently and i need something 4x4 that looks badass and not everyone else has, and thats basically the VX.

Thanks in advance
-Steve

bozGP
11/06/2006, 03:54 PM
One more thing, what other vehicles does the VX share parts with?

Ldub
11/06/2006, 05:54 PM
There is a silver VX for sale by me here in Gainesville. FL. I have always wanted one and if I can get the guy down to the right price I will probably buy it. I am wondering what the common problems are and if there is anyhting I should look for in particular so I don't end up with a worse money pit than I have now. I am also wondering about common gas mileage, common mods, max tire sizes and widths, 0-60 & 1/4 mile times, weight, quality of the 4wd system, is it always in 4WD or is it manually selectable, and anyhting else you guys think could be relevant. I have a Grand Prix GTP currently and i need something 4x4 that looks badass and not everyone else has, and thats basically the VX.

Thanks in advance
-Steve

Steve,
First off, Welcome...
Common probs. include (but are not limited to, this is, after all, just my memory! :rolleyes: ) window regs., hood insert cracking, headlight housings hazing, cd player yakking & stealing your cd's,stock shocks going south, & occaisionally, using oil to the point of losing the lower end. (check the oil first thing ya do when looking @ any VX)
I'm sure others will chime in with other "quirks" I've forgotten, do a whole site search on what I've mentioned for the straight poop.
Best of luck, LD

Ldub
11/06/2006, 06:10 PM
Oh yeah...
Most consider max tire size to be 285-75R16"(for a "99") w/o lift, but with slight trimming of the inner cladding in front.(again...search iz friend)
Mileage is RARELY better than 18 mpg highway...in town,whatever your foot will allow.
Although I did average 23mpg last spring on the uphill/downhill of Vail pass, & I'm supercharged.
We share common chassis/driveline components with the 2-dr. Tpooper.
The weight of this little piggy is 3997 lbs., if my memory serves correctly.
Quality of 4WD is good...It's always in 4WD (TOD, again, do a search)
Common mods are only limited by imagination/depth of pockets...
mine has become an INCREDIBLE freakin money pit...but it's ALL of my own doing, not the vehicle's fault. ;)
0-60?,1/4 mi?...don't have a clue...it's quick for a SUV, but no dragster. :cool:

etlsport
11/06/2006, 06:12 PM
i think 0-60 is a hair under 9 seconds stock

bozGP
11/06/2006, 07:08 PM
thanx for the quick replies, pretty much covers what I was looking to know without spending an hour or two searching through previous posts.

Looks like I am limited with modding due to the hp and tq limitations of the tranny I take it, and there are no heavy duty parts avalable because of the small ammount of VXs out there and the small ammount that will mod past the transmission limitations?

Ldub
11/07/2006, 04:21 AM
That pretty well sums it up.