PDA

View Full Version : Lean/rich gauge question

Ruflyf
11/25/2006, 07:37 AM
I was at Autozone the other day and noticed along with the typical oil pres., boost, volt gauges they had for sale there was also a lean/rich gauge. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these and are they worth having? Also what would be involved in getting it hooked up working correctly?

Ldub
11/25/2006, 07:51 AM
It'd look kool :cool: ...but without the ability to adjust the mixture (see engine management thread) it would be eye candy.(like my boost ga.) ;)
All fuel/air mix chores are handled by the ECU, I've heard, & I'm no expert...at best, I have a basic understanding of how all this stuph works.
Maybe one of the more knowledgable members will chime in here. :confused:

Zorak
11/25/2006, 08:24 AM
Installation is easy, besides +12v and ground, you just tap into the signal wire from the O2 sensor.

As far as practical value, would lean toward the "eye candy" comment. Any problem with a rich or lean fuel mixture that the gauge is likely to show would already have triggered a CEL.

Ruflyf
11/25/2006, 09:20 AM
ok, thats what I was thinking too, but didnt know where it was drawing its info from. I figured if it actually did the readings itself, may be its worthwhile, but if its just displaying a different sensors reading, then I agree "eye candy."

Although I do like my boost gauge "eye candy." I would have to take out either my volt meter, boost, or oil pres. to have room for it and unless it would serve a "real" purpose I cant see pulling one of the others.