View Poll Results: has your abs pump/module made your abs light come on?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

110 71.90%
  • no

43 28.10%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: question and poll regarding abs module

Gear

OK so about one month later and two weekends in conditions where ABS is actually helpful (snow / slush / ice) up at Tahoe ABS module repaired by ASI went bad again. I am sure they will fix it for me free but it takes time / money to pull it out and esoecially reinstall since I need to bleed brakes. Is there a way to pull black part of it without touching break lines?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexVX View Post
    OK so about one month later and two weekends in conditions where ABS is actually helpful (snow / slush / ice) up at Tahoe ABS module repaired by ASI went bad again. I am sure they will fix it for me free but it takes time / money to pull it out and esoecially reinstall since I need to bleed brakes. Is there a way to pull black part of it without touching break lines?
    Yes, this is what I did.

Just loosen it from the bracket and loosen the brakelines mounted on the fender well and the firewall. Be careful or you will break the plastic retainers that hold the brake lines in place.

Gently move it up, so as not to crimp any brake lines and remove the six torx screws and the black module. You would have already removed the two electrical connections. Mount the silver box back into the bracket.

I drove mine with the black box removed and it drove terrible when braking and turning in tight places like parking spots or getting into my garage.

Just be careful and you'll be fine...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Question How do you disconnect ABS module electrical power plug

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Yes, this is what I did.

Just loosen it from the bracket and loosen the brakelines mounted on the fender well and the firewall. Be careful or you will break the plastic retainers that hold the brake lines in place.

Gently move it up, so as not to crimp any brake lines and remove the six torx screws and the black module. You would have already removed the two electrical connections...
    How do you disconnect the electrical plug under the harness connector? I was advised to press the pin that keeps the plug in place with a flat head screwdriver. However, can't seem to find by feel the release pin. I don't want to break the plug or anything else. I have not been able to see enough of the plug to figure out how to release a pin or whatever.

Anyone know of a link to an image of the plug?

Mile High VX, when you said "loosen" the brake lines what did you do?

TIA.

The lines are held in place on the firewall and fender by a plastic holder that the lines snap into. You need to get them free. These plastic pieces will break easily. Spray them down with WD-40 and be gentle. Once free from the holder you'll have enough slack to pull the assembly up to remove the electronic piece from the brake module.

Shortened a T20 torque screwdriver to reach the "hidden" 6th torque screw. It worked to loosen that near impossible to reach spot. All 6 screws are ready to be removed. However, still haven't managed to remove that electrical plug. I expect I'm going to be embarrassed when I eventually see how easy it should have been to unplug. The wire to the plug has no play so I cannot disconnect the module and access the plug even by loosening the brake lines.

Alltech said they could remove the module in less than 30 minutes, but they would not release my VX back to me until they installed the repaired module due to liability concerns. If I haven't figured out how to unplug that electrical plug by the end of tomorrow I will concede defeat, yet again, on another VX DIY project.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
    However, still haven't managed to remove that electrical plug.
    On the right side of the plug you should see a T-handle. Pull that to the right, towards the engine, about 2". If it's stuck just wiggle it up and down (no comments from PK on this phrase is necessary...) while pulling to the right. Once it's all the way out the plug will pop out easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    On the right side of the plug you should see a T-handle. Pull that to the right, towards the engine, about 2".
    That sounds like the harness connector, which was the easiest thing to disconnect. The small plug under the harness connection receptacle is the one that has me stumped. Pretty sure there is nothing 2" long associated with that small plug (circled in red).

Here's a side view from the engine of the small plug under the module:

Was going to see how difficult it would be to disconnect the wire bundle from the fender in order to get better access to the under side of the module and that pesky plug.

Thanks for your suggestions, Mile High VX.
    Last edited by Bill Brown : 11/15/2014 at 03:12 PM

Mine had enough slack to move the unit up and then disconnect on the way out. Not enough to pull all the way out before disconnecting, but enough slack to move and disconnect.

I was told to use a flat head screwdriver to depress a pin that would release the plug. Did you have to press a pin? Please describe where that pin is located. Was it near the top of the plug? Did you need a screwdriver and did you hold the screwdriver blade horizontally?

I seem so close to resolving this issue without resorting to the sledgehammer nuclear option.

Not sure exactly...just don't remember it being that hard.

Shop manual doesn't even mention that connection.

Well, I may just have to actually resort to Alltech to handle an easy fix that was too much for me, yet again. Good to know I'll be helping a tech's kids enjoy a bit merrier Christmas.

I do okay when components are readily visible, but DIY projects requiring me to feel my way around are costly: minor scrapes, cuts, back strain, etc., plus lots and lots of wasted time. Really aggravating to be so close, but to get stumped by a simple plug. Had a similar experience replacing my stock flasher with a LED compatible one. Wasted lots of time, strained my back, etc., then ended up taking the VX to Alltech.

Update: Sunday, 16 Nov 2014

2:30 p.m. - Removed the small plug, undamaged, and removed 4 of the 6 screws. The lower left 2 are proving to be more challenging than anticipated. I can see where having the right tools would have made this task a breeze, such as appropriate length T20 screwdrivers/bits with a small ratchet wrench.
    Last edited by Bill Brown : 11/16/2014 at 02:38 PM Reason: Update: Sunday, 16 Nov 2014

How did you get the plug out?

Quote Originally Posted by soggybottomboyz View Post
    How did you get the plug out?
    After successfully removing the plug I wondered how I could explain the simple action required. Used an angled flathead screwdriver that came with a furniture item I had assembled. Placed the blade horizontally inside the top of the plug receptacle. With very minimal light pressure, used the blade to push the top of the (plastic?) retaining clip outward, which immediately released the plug. Gravity dropped the plug from the receptacle. Very easy to do once you've done it.

An update on my ASI rebuild - they askeed me to send it back and with Mile High VX's heolp i got it out and sent it back. They took a whole week to thoroughly testes and fond a malfuntione they overlooked first time. Right now its working as exepected! So ASI stad by tey warrantly which is good to know. I did have to pay shipping (bummer) but not repairs.

help needed

Just got my abs module back for second time from rebuilder, no luck still not working.
    It looks like I need to get another unit.
    I have a bosch but i hear that vehicross also has kelsey hays units. I could use a part number if anybody has it. I could also use a place to find another unit bosch or kelsey hayes if anyone knows a place.