Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone DONE the axiom engine swap?

Has anyone DONE the axiom engine swap?

Hi, new to the forum, and am looking to buy a VX in the near future. My question is this. I have seen all posts relevant to the axiom engine swap but has anyone actually done the work, taken the pics, shared their experience? A wire harness, ecu and engine swap isnt all that hard as long as there is at least one example of it done correctly. Thanks

As far as I know, No.

As for the reasons why, I'll let a veteran chime in...

And welcome to the forums!!!
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Not that I know of. I am interested in the 04 Axiom direct injection 3.5, that’s a cool engine. I know the ECU and fuel pump is different but I don’t know how easy it would be to transplant.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Wink

I think about this swap from time to time in the advent of my engine ever expiring.

I think about it because I often wonder about if I could still use my Supercharger (fuel injectors are relocated on direct injection from intake manifold location to cylinder location hence "directly injecting") and how the drive-by-wire throttle control system could benefit a S/C equipped VX by eliminating the now "overly-long" O.E.M. throttle cable.

I believe that in the case of the S/C...plugging the injector holes in the intake and somehow either relocating our fuel-rail or making use of stock fuel-rail would be the big hurdle.

If my engine ever expires, I'll definately be looking long & hard at this swap as well as scouring the boneyards for any '04 Axioms w/good powerplants!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    I think about this swap from time to time in the advent of my engine ever expiring.

I think about it because I often wonder about if I could still use my Supercharger (fuel injectors are relocated on direct injection from intake manifold location to cylinder location hence "directly injecting") and how the drive-by-wire throttle control system could benefit a S/C equipped VX by eliminating the now "overly-long" O.E.M. throttle cable.

I believe that in the case of the S/C...plugging the injector holes in the intake and somehow either relocating our fuel-rail or making use of stock fuel-rail would be the big hurdle.

If my engine ever expires, I'll definately be looking long & hard at this swap as well as scouring the boneyards for any '04 Axioms w/good powerplants!
    Having never seen the 3.5 DI motor with the top off, I would also wonder if the intake ports would be the same?
    I would ASSUME that they used the same block...
    Last edited by Ldub : 01/09/2009 at 01:49 PM

I thought direct injection was supposed to increase power and allow for better fuel economy, but I checked on edmunds and the Axiom gets 13/17!!!

autotrader.com research and compare puts the 2004 axiom at 18/23 for a 2wd and 17/21 for a 4wd.. weight is comparable to the vx (just a touch over 4000)

they have the 2002 listed at 16/20 (4wd).. and 17/21 (2wd).. 230 hp (still 15 over the vx) but about 100 lbs less weight

I believe that the swap is completly possible & shouldn't be that hard to set it up.

The ECU software should be easy to set guys,same applies to the direct fuel injection;Think about it & you'll find that isn't that difficult.

The engine's size is the same,the TOD is the same,just bit powerfull which is great.

I have no doubts that the swap is possible.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Actually, it I remember correctly, trans is different, it is an aisin instead of the 4l30E.

Also, Jerry on the planet always said you don't want a DI engine because they had A LOT of mechanical issues with them. Although I would like the extra power.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

I remember someone had DI engine swapped by the dealer on warranty. There were few pics in the past.
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock

I'm not saying more than this till mine is done...
    I bought the engine out of a wrecked 02 Axiom for $500, engine runs perfectly.
    I am saving up now for the R&R labor... extras... etc...

ANY engine from an 02 Axiom with 8th digit in vin 'X' whole year will work...
    ANY engine from 03 Axiom with 8th digit in vin 'X' up to May 03 will work... Same tranny as VX in both till May 03
    The mechanic says Might have to use the stock VX intake etc... for the stock VX ECU to work with engine... I have dibs to try the wreaked Axioms ECU if stock VX ECU doesn't work on Axiom intake, but won't find out till I have the $$ for the R&R...

I am going to try and get it done by May and bring it to Moab...

I will take pics and keep the forum posted to progress as I get this done...

BTW, I don't care about the mpg... I just want the HP!!

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
    I'm not saying more than this till mine is done...
    I bought the engine out of a wrecked 02 Axiom for $500, engine runs perfectly.
    I am saving up now for the R&R labor... extras... etc...

ANY engine from an 02 Axiom with 8th digit in vin 'X' whole year will work...
    ANY engine from 03 Axiom with 8th digit in vin 'X' up to May 03 will work... Same tranny as VX in both till May 03
    The mechanic says Might have to use the stock VX intake etc... for the stock VX ECU to work with engine... I have dibs to try the wreaked Axioms ECU if stock VX ECU doesn't work on Axiom intake, but won't find out till I have the $$ for the R&R...

I am going to try and get it done by May and bring it to Moab...

I will take pics and keep the forum posted to progress as I get this done...

BTW, I don't care about the mpg... I just want the HP!!

i could have sworn the 02 and 03 axiom had the exact same engine as the VX.. and that only the 04 was DI.. i havent done much research on the subject though

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    i could have sworn the 02 and 03 axiom had the exact same engine as the VX.. and that only the 04 was DI.. i havent done much research on the subject though

Yup...the 02 and 03 have a better flowing intake giving them 15 hp more than stock VX and ONLY the 04 was DI.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    I BELIEVE that the piston/ring "issue" was fixed on these engines as well, so excessive oil consumption is not SUPPOSED to be a problem on these...

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    Yup...the 02 and 03 have a better flowing intake giving them 15 hp more than stock VX and ONLY the 04 was DI.
    CORRECT!!
    Since the intake IS different (TB is diff too) is why the concern if the VX ECU and wiring harness will work with the 02 Axiom engine... In my case it won't matter, I will have either ECU and WH available... My mechanic says he WILL get one combo or another to work...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    I BELIEVE that the piston/ring "issue" was fixed on these engines as well, so excessive oil consumption is not SUPPOSED to be a problem on these...
    DOUBLE CORRECT!!
    I will still check the oil RELIGIOUSLY, but I hope to never, ever, have to live in mortal fear of blowing an engine again!!

Quote Originally Posted by NJ99VX View Post
    Actually, it I remember correctly, trans is different, it is an aisin instead of the 4l30E.
    This should answer any concerns on the tranny... it is the same, look here and do the search on a 2002 Axiom, Transmission. Several listed have the 4L30E # for the tranny (make sure you pick the 4x4 option, on second page).

oops edit... forgot the link... lol

http://www.car-part.com/

Last edited by iamironman : 01/12/2009 at 03:17 PM