Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My 4$ Windows fix :)

Wrench My 4$ Windows fix :)

I tired everything to fix my window (graphit spray's , new window seal(rubber) , grease...etc ) but my window was not able to roll up straight...So i went to the walmart and spent 4 $ for "rubber tie down strap "..
    If any of you doing this , please make sure , the rubber tie down strap is not to tight...or you will burning up the motors due to the heavy load !!!
    I had to cut the rubber strap to the right size.
    Dont ask me how i found out the right lenght.. I just did it
    My windows now working perfect ,no binding, sticking, jumping the track, tilting...ect
    So there is some picture :

Last edited by joshi : 11/02/2010 at 07:48 PM

I'm not very good at mechanics...how's the bungee cord work?

Also, the plastic square tabs holding the bottom edge of the glass don't look OEM...did you do anything there?

I'd strongly suggest you get the SBC brackets for $65 as they're strong metal. a The plastic square tabs look like they can age and snap off, like so many owners have reported. Metal is better there
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Probably qualifies as a cheap workaround rather than a fix, but I applaud your resourcefulness!

Sue, what I think he's getting at here is pulling the rear of the window back and down so that the front of the window lifts up easier relative to the rear. This way the front of the window binds less which is part of the cause of our window woes.

"Sue, what I think he's getting at here is pulling the rear of the window back and down so that the front of the window lifts up easier relative to the rear. This way the front of the window binds less which is part of the cause of our window woes. "

Yes Grif! You are right

We can call cheap workaround , rather than fix , but its working ... and now my windows not binds at all
    Last edited by joshi : 11/02/2010 at 07:46 PM

"Also, the plastic square tabs holding the bottom edge of the glass don't look OEM...did you do anything there?"

No ! I did not do anything with those plastic square . I have no idea its OEM or not
    Last edited by joshi : 11/02/2010 at 07:47 PM

Pretty ingenious joshi, I was considering adding some sticky weights to the bottom rear part of my glass to eliminate the rocking, but this actually achieves the same effect. I think the difficult part will be replicating the proper length/tensile strength of the bungee strap. Why is it we always forget to document what we're doing when we're experimenting? (That includes me.)

six is a fix in my world

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Probably qualifies as a cheap workaround rather than a fix, but I applaud your resourcefulness!
    When I first got the VX in 2004, the windows were starting to drag, especially the driver's side. I too did the bungee cord thing - thinking it would be a temporary measure until I could figure out how to move the lift point since it is too far aft and that's what causes the window to tilt and bind. I was sure the bungees would break within a few months but here we are almost seven years later and they're still hanging in there. I'd call that a fix!

If both bungees break tomorrow I'll replace them and won't waste one second of my life trying to figure out how to move the lift point. Yeah - it's quick and cheap but it works and a second set of bungees will probably outlast me, so hey - in my world, it's a fix!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    I was sure the bungees would break within a few months but here we are almost seven years later and they're still hanging in there. I'd call that a fix!
    Haha! Thats awesome!

joshi,

If you want to replace the vapor barrier (I noticed in your pix that it was torn & not replaced), Merlin was still able to get them a few months ago. IIRC they were only about $8.

If you're pleased with operating on the cheap/innovative alternatives, you can also make your own out of a large trash bag & just duct tape in in place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

His tabs looked just like mine, so I would say OEM. As for the SBC brackets, those address a separate problem and have nothing to do with the binding issue. If your tabs look good, I wouldn't mess with em.
    I may try the bungee idea sometime in the next few weeks. Looks like a decent fix to our problem.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

What kind of sound deadener, mid, and x-over? I used Raammat on the door of the Legend and will be doing so on the VX. Focal and Image Dynamics front stage for the VX

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    As for the SBC brackets, those address a separate problem and have nothing to do with the binding issue. If your tabs look good, I wouldn't mess with em.
    Sorta ... but not entirely true.

When you mount the SBC brackets, you can actually slide them forward on the glass before the adhesive cures & before you tighten the bolts. That will have at least as much effect on the tilting as the bungie cord does.

Quote Originally Posted by joshi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    His tabs looked just like mine, so I would say OEM. As for the SBC brackets, those address a separate problem and have nothing to do with the binding issue. If your tabs look good, I wouldn't mess with em.
    My windows were slowing down and "binding", was told the clips would likely snap off due to age (brittle) and the extra stress from the "binding". Between silicone spray in the rubber track and the SBC brackets, I eliminated that possibility. I consider the brackets cheap insurance, especially in my arid, low humidity environment where plastic cracks.

These pics (of both sides) made me think his tabs were different than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Pretty ingenious joshi, I was considering adding some sticky weights to the bottom rear part of my glass to eliminate the rocking, but this actually achieves the same effect. I think the difficult part will be replicating the proper length/tensile strength of the bungee strap. Why is it we always forget to document what we're doing when we're experimenting? (That includes me.)
    Believe me or not i documented every step , i have done on my VX ! But my hard drive failed few weeks ago. At this moment im still running data recovery for that failed hard drive , i hope i can back all of my data , and pictures, and all my documents

Nice work and since your really not stretching the bungee cord that much, I imagine it will last you a good while
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.