Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I think I just bought a VX!

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Talking

Yay!! Congrats, bachelor-once-again... or perhaps newlywed to your VX :bwgr:
    Enjoy the honeymoon ...
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Congrats dude, get 'er cleaned up and post some photos!

As for maintenance, I would check/change the oil and pcv post haste, and switch to Mobile-1. I would also check the serpentine belt for cracks and get a new Gatorback if needed.

At the mechanic, I would check all your fluids, especially the trans and make sure it looks clean, and if not, get a new trans filter and have all that fluid drained and switched to a nice sythetic trans fluid.

Do you have any upkeep records with this VX?

These are the things I did with mine when I took ownership. I'm sure some of the others here will have more insight.

Bart

PS - You should also change your icon from an Ironman to an Ebony, especially since black VXs are the coolest

Arrow

Jeez, Bart, you NAILED it!

I spent pretty much all day with my new baby. I can tell that there will be some work ahead of me, but that's all part of fatherhood, right?

1) Serpentine belt IS cracked.
    2) LOTS of squeeks. Already ordered the poly bushings...
    3) Tiny bits of rust can be seen, for example inside the fuel door lock and along the muffler.
    4) Cylinder #3 has a misfire issue. I'm having it looked at next week at the local Isuzu dealership. I've already ordered new NGK Iridium plugs, just for fun.
    5) Sort of smells like somebody might have smoked in it. Not a strong smell, but there nonetheless. Any ideas for "detailing" to get rid of sour smoky smells?

On the bright side? The exterior looks almost new. It must have been owned by someone who maintained the LOOKS but maybe not so much the MECHANICS. But wow, it sure looks pretty!

I think the major 60K service will spiff up the performance. I changed the oil + filter today, but I'm having the dealer do the tranny fluid/brake fluid/serpentine belt/other stuff that is out of my league.

It was a fun day, though!

place to start with the smoke smell is the carpet and headliner, only two things in the vx that will retain a smell, a small handheld carpet shampoo machine will probably take care of it.. in the mean time.. most diy carwashes have yummy smelling fragrances you can put in your car while you vacuum it.. welcome back to the addiciton

Arrow

Hahal, I bought mine with 28k miles and my serp belt was cracked, so I could only imagine how bad it would be if I had let it go till 60k. About the missfire, spark plugs will hopefully fix that. Hopefully its not something worse. Are you getting a Check Engine light?

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Jeez, Bart, you NAILED it!

I spent pretty much all day with my new baby. I can tell that there will be some work ahead of me, but that's all part of fatherhood, right?

1) Serpentine belt IS cracked.
    2) LOTS of squeeks. Already ordered the poly bushings...
    3) Tiny bits of rust can be seen, for example inside the fuel door lock and along the muffler.
    4) Cylinder #3 has a misfire issue. I'm having it looked at next week at the local Isuzu dealership. I've already ordered new NGK Iridium plugs, just for fun.
    5) Sort of smells like somebody might have smoked in it. Not a strong smell, but there nonetheless. Any ideas for "detailing" to get rid of sour smoky smells?

On the bright side? The exterior looks almost new. It must have been owned by someone who maintained the LOOKS but maybe not so much the MECHANICS. But wow, it sure looks pretty!

I think the major 60K service will spiff up the performance. I changed the oil + filter today, but I'm having the dealer do the tranny fluid/brake fluid/serpentine belt/other stuff that is out of my league.

It was a fun day, though!

Strangely...no check engine light. It's idling pretty rough, so I'm surprised the CEL hasn't come on at all! I don't know if I WANT it on (to prove that it'll warn me when I need to know!) or DON'T want it on (because that would mean a serious problem).

The code is definitely for a 3rd cylinder misfire, and the symptoms back it up.

The other little issues can wait. The passenger-side AC/heater vent has a LOUD rattle whenever the fan is on. I don't know if I'll need a new fan housing, or if there's a leaf or some dead mouse bones in there, but DAMN it's obnoxious.

The wiper motors worry me, because I know they'll be hard to replace...and in Seattle, you need good wipers. These seem "weak" when I turn them on. I wish we could just swap them out with some Rodeo or Trooper wiper motors. Anybody try that yet?

The other noises and squeaks will hopefully be lessened with some serious Dynamatting. I want to tighten this girl up a bit. I'm also looking at new shocks (maybe the Rancho RS9000's? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?) and then new tires and wheels. I think I'll steal Bart's idea for those Teflon Chambers. Imitation being the best form of flattery, and all...

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    place to start with the smoke smell is the carpet and headliner, only two things in the vx that will retain a smell, a small handheld carpet shampoo machine will probably take care of it.. in the mean time.. most diy carwashes have yummy smelling fragrances you can put in your car while you vacuum it.. welcome back to the addiciton
    Hi etlsport,

Yes, this VX will definitely need the Detailing of the Year. Inside, anyway...the exterior looks great.

I wish there was a way to just REPLACE all of the carpet inside. What would that take? I don't suppose Isuzu of America has any carpet kits, huh? Laying around, in case of rebuilds and such?

And what about replacing a headliner?!?

I can shampoo it, of course, but it'll take something really special, because the car already smells like "shampoo and scent", if you know what I mean.

I'll also give the leather surfaces a really good cleaning and conditining.

So wait, you are getting codes with no CEL? Did you take it to Autozone and have them check for codes? Thats weird that there is a misfire code and no CE Light. When mine was running rough it turned out to be I was too low on gas. I would make sure you put a good, clean tank of juice in there and maybe even throw in a bottle of HEET to get rid of any water. With the cross country change of climate and altitude, you never know, maybe some condensation in the tank. And changing the spark plugs should also be good, I hope that does the trick.

Let me know when you are ready to order the Chambers. I had a REALLY hard time locating a set. I probably called like 5 different shops (all were out of stock) and then I finally ordered from a guy who had a set on eBay. Real nice guy and he shipped right away. I paid $770 for the set shipped to me in Reno. This place ( Wheels For Less ) was where I was going to originally order from (they have free shipping and good prices) but they had no stock and no eta on a restock. Hopefully, but the time you are ready, they will have them in stock somewhere to order.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Strangely...no check engine light. It's idling pretty rough, so I'm surprised the CEL hasn't come on at all! I don't know if I WANT it on (to prove that it'll warn me when I need to know!) or DON'T want it on (because that would mean a serious problem).

The code is definitely for a 3rd cylinder misfire, and the symptoms back it up.

The other little issues can wait. The passenger-side AC/heater vent has a LOUD rattle whenever the fan is on. I don't know if I'll need a new fan housing, or if there's a leaf or some dead mouse bones in there, but DAMN it's obnoxious.

The wiper motors worry me, because I know they'll be hard to replace...and in Seattle, you need good wipers. These seem "weak" when I turn them on. I wish we could just swap them out with some Rodeo or Trooper wiper motors. Anybody try that yet?

The other noises and squeaks will hopefully be lessened with some serious Dynamatting. I want to tighten this girl up a bit. I'm also looking at new shocks (maybe the Rancho RS9000's? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?) and then new tires and wheels. I think I'll steal Bart's idea for those Teflon Chambers. Imitation being the best form of flattery, and all...

a lot of the carpeting would be easy to replace, the only place its really molded is in the front, but all through the rear the carpet is just kinda laying there..

havent done the headliner in the VX, but id imagine it would be fairly easy, ive done other headliners with no problems, usually the problem with headliners is dome lights, sunroofs etc, the roof of the vx is pretty clear, just use some good spray on adhesive and some patience

Smells

When I took out my rear seats, I bought a roll of rubber matting and put that down. Problem was the rubber smelled REALLY bad, like tar. The smell was overbearing for at least a month or so, and now the smell has gone away...or maybe I just got used to it I think if you just keep washing her eventually the odor will go away. I have a bottle of Armorall Ultimate Clean Protectant, and this stuff smells awesome. The leather lotions I use smell nice too.

IMHO, nothing is worse than the cigarette smell covered up with perfume. Especially on women

Bart

a lot of the carpeting would be easy to replace, the only place its really molded is in the front, but all through the rear the carpet is just kinda laying there..

havent done the headliner in the VX, but id imagine it would be fairly easy, ive done other headliners with no problems, usually the problem with headliners is dome lights, sunroofs etc, the roof of the vx is pretty clear, just use some good spray on adhesive and some patience

I've got an Isuzu dealership right by the state automobile license agency. I stopped by Westlund Isuzu on the way to register the VX, and THEY gave it a good once-over. When they hooked it up to their computer, that's when they got the misfire error code (is it PO303?).

So, yes: error code with no CEL...but again, it's idling so rough that I KNEW something was up.

Remember, in an earlier post I said that the VX's gas tank was essentially bone-empty when I took delivery. The fuel light was on SOLID, so I know I was pretty much out of gas as I drove it to the gas station. I can see where the drive from FL to WA would give plenty of opportunities for condensation, or how driving it on "EMPTY" might have allowed some bottom-sludge to clog the injectors or something. Or worse, it's a combination of bad fuel/condensation/sludge/water/old plugs/coils/intake gasket/fuel pressure/EGR/PCV/GREMLINS.

I hate them gremlins.

On the other hand, there's a certain joy in taking a vehicle and restoring it to like-new condition. The VX is a special ride, and we really have to take care of the few that remain.

On the other topic, maybe I should put in an order NOW for those Chambers? I don't need them today, so a back-order is fine. Besides, can't they be ordered directly from AR's website? They DID finally send me an email from their tech department saying that I should have no problems with the 16" wheels OR the 17" wheels. I guess 18" is pushing it, although since the 2000-2001 VXs had 18" wheels, I don't see the issue.

EDIT POST: Never mind, it looks like the "wheelsforless" site IS AR's 'special' dealer. Thanks for that link!

Cool

Patience? What's that?!?

I know, I know...I'll have to take this project on one step at a time. I want to do it all NOW, though!

Let's call it "enthusiasm" instead of "impatience".

Sadly...yet, logically...it's the front carpet that seems the most worn and stinky. Like many VXs, I doubt there were many passengers stinkin' up the rear seats! For now I'll just shampoo the hell out of the front area, using some bio-enzymatic solution and lots of steam. Throwing out the old removable carpet mats and adding some new ones will also help. I rmember seeing some OEM Isuzu Vehicross mats on eBay awhile back, but they're gone now! And I worry that all of those cheapy aftermarket eBay mats will suck.

Again: patience!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

Fuel filter would also be a good investment...
    Also, how about unhooking the MAF or IAT or one of the other sensors to see if it will throw a CEL, just to make sure it works ?, then re-set it by disconnecting the batt.
    Usually a CEL isn't "stop the car now SERIOUS" unless it's blinking.

Another option for the carpet & headliner is steam extraction. Though they should take it easy on the headliner.

My two cents 4 now...

Thumbs up

Thanks! I appreciate everybody's 2 cents and 4 cents. It all adds up to valuable input! Pretty soon I'll have, like, 62 cents worth of good info!

Good idea about trying to force a CEL. It would suck if my VX died because of a dead bulb!

Oh, and on a side note: we're all site supporters here already, right? It's WELL worth the investment!

Yeah, the Chambers are pricey. Most retail shops want like $220 a pop, and with shipping it can be around a g-ball just for the rims! I do not think you can order direct from American Racing, at least I did not see an option for this on their site.

I bought some diamond plate rubber mats from Kragen and put these up front and took out the Isuzu carpeted mats. They don't fit EXACTLY perfect, but they look good nonetheless.

Bart