Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: I think I just bought a VX!

I admit I merely browsed through this thread... so forgive me if this has been said... Maybe the Check Engine Light bulb has burned out?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

next time you start your vx up watch for the CEL to come on, it should flash on when you first hit the ACC mode then go out after a second or two, if not its probably burned out

dont know if this is true of all vehicles.. but my buddys jeep used to throw a CEL weekly, and it would go out after a few days (intermittent sensor problem) but even when the CEL wasnt on, the code would stay on the computer until it was cleared out by battery disconnect or obdII scanner,

i asked a guy at the local autozone about it and he said that the CEL comes on as a result of a one time problem and the code is stored, after whatever the time period is of the problem not repeating, the light will go out but the code will be there.. makes sense to me kinda

like it was mentioned before, start with a fuel filter, mine was NASTY when i bought my vx with 40k.. run some fuel injector cleaner through.. check your air filter.. its always the small things

Hey Etl, where is the fuel filter? Is this something that is easily cleaned/replaced?

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    next time you start your vx up watch for the CEL to come on, it should flash on when you first hit the ACC mode then go out after a second or two, if not its probably burned out

dont know if this is true of all vehicles.. but my buddys jeep used to throw a CEL weekly, and it would go out after a few days (intermittent sensor problem) but even when the CEL wasnt on, the code would stay on the computer until it was cleared out by battery disconnect or obdII scanner,

i asked a guy at the local autozone about it and he said that the CEL comes on as a result of a one time problem and the code is stored, after whatever the time period is of the problem not repeating, the light will go out but the code will be there.. makes sense to me kinda

like it was mentioned before, start with a fuel filter, mine was NASTY when i bought my vx with 40k.. run some fuel injector cleaner through.. check your air filter.. its always the small things

yep its very easy, one of the first things i did to my VX

its located on the passenger side about where the back seat would be under the vx just inside the frame rail.. its a cylinder about 4" long maybe 1-1/2" in diameter..

here is how i did it (this was about 6 months ago.. so if i forget something forgive me)

run your fuel tank as low as you dare (i was just under 1/2 tank when i did mine.. but next time will be much lower)
    start VX
    pull fuel pump fuse.. vx will stall
    i disconnected my battery to make sure there was no sparking/exploding
    get under vx, locate filter
    unbolt filter
    once its free, use vice grips (or a friend with pliers) to clamp off both sides of the hose, move clamps onto bare hose (look at new fuel filter to see how far it sticks into the hose) then you can pull the hoses free.. took a lot of effort for mine but it was in really really bad shape

i wasnt thinking straight and assumed gas wouldnt flow out of the tank after relieving pressure.. i was really wrong and got gas all over myself (luckily i was wearing safety glasses) i read that using golf tees is also very effective in plugging the hoses

plug the hoses into the new fuel filter (pay attention to direction, it does matter, i drew an arrow on it before i even got under the VX so i didnt have to look for the small one when i got down there

reclamp hoses

bolt fuel filter back in

replace fuse, reconnect battery

rinse and repeat as needed

Hehe... I laugh, but I don't think you are kidding!

Hmmm, sounds like a bit of a chore. What can a dirty fuel filter do? Cause rough running? Poor gas mileage? Etc?

Is there a way I can inspect mine to see if it needs help? Did you replace yours or just clean it?

Bart

yep its very easy, one of the first things i did to my VX

its located on the passenger side about where the back seat would be under the vx just inside the frame rail.. its a cylinder about 4" long maybe 1-1/2" in diameter..

here is how i did it (this was about 6 months ago.. so if i forget something forgive me)

run your fuel tank as low as you dare (i was just under 1/2 tank when i did mine.. but next time will be much lower)
    start VX
    pull fuel pump fuse.. vx will stall
    i disconnected my battery to make sure there was no sparking/exploding
    get under vx, locate filter
    unbolt filter
    once its free, use vice grips (or a friend with pliers) to clamp off both sides of the hose, move clamps onto bare hose (look at new fuel filter to see how far it sticks into the hose) then you can pull the hoses free.. took a lot of effort for mine but it was in really really bad shape

i wasnt thinking straight and assumed gas wouldnt flow out of the tank after relieving pressure.. i was really wrong and got gas all over myself (luckily i was wearing safety glasses) i read that using golf tees is also very effective in plugging the hoses

plug the hoses into the new fuel filter (pay attention to direction, it does matter, i drew an arrow on it before i even got under the VX so i didnt have to look for the small one when i got down there

reclamp hoses

bolt fuel filter back in

replace fuse, reconnect battery

i tend to ramble.. its actually not that bad.. i did mine in about 30 minutes and that includes being doused in gas and running inside to make sure it didnt run into my eyes

theres no real way to look at it and tell if it needs to be replaced.. when i pulled the output hose off of mine a strange yellow liquid that used to be gasoline came out... i think its a mineral filtering of some kind.. so once its dirty and clogged, thats it, time for a new one.. they are only a few bucks

a fuel filter can cause rough idle, poor gas mileage, clooged fuel injectors

my moms ford used to stall at anything under 1000rpms.. change of a fuel filter fixed the problem entirely

i also think that a dirty/clogged fuel filter will cause more crap to be in your exhaust too (which will in turn clog a cat)

btw i learned how to do mine from this forum, i forget who wrote up the directions for me, but its in a post i had awhile back about my issues with hard starting (since replacing it i havent had any trouble with hard starts either..)

Cool, I'll look into doing this just to do it. Expensive part?

Bart

i tend to ramble.. its actually not that bad.. i did mine in about 30 minutes and that includes being doused in gas and running inside to make sure it didnt run into my eyes

theres no real way to look at it and tell if it needs to be replaced.. when i pulled the output hose off of mine a strange yellow liquid that used to be gasoline came out... i think its a mineral filtering of some kind.. so once its dirty and clogged, thats it, time for a new one.. they are only a few bucks

a fuel filter can cause rough idle, poor gas mileage, clooged fuel injectors

my moms ford used to stall at anything under 1000rpms.. change of a fuel filter fixed the problem entirely

i also think that a dirty/clogged fuel filter will cause more crap to be in your exhaust too (which will in turn clog a cat)

btw i learned how to do mine from this forum, i forget who wrote up the directions for me, but its in a post i had awhile back about my issues with hard starting (since replacing it i havent had any trouble with hard starts either..)

I'm envisioning getting under my VX and starting the process without memorizing each step...pulling the hoses off, gas spraying everywhere, then pawing around for the instruction sheet..."let's see, let's see....um....oh yeah! Vice grips!" Gasoline everywhere.

I liked the "...make sure there was no sparking/exploding" line too. I hate it when there is exploding!

Serious question: are all fuel filters created equal?

I think they're all about, what? Twelve bucks or so?