Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP! The VX won't stay running

HELP! The VX won't stay running

The VX will start but then when i try to put it into gear it will die! what would cause that? We already replaced the Mass Flow because the "check Engine: light came on and that was the code they gave us. But now this. HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Dude...

...that sucks. Let me know if you wanna work on it together.

Also, look at this thread from a week or so ago. I think climbcovey was/is having the same issue. Maybe you guys should compare symptoms, etc..

Bart

im sure climbcovey will chime in. if not, pm him. from what we have talked about,clean your iac, egr. he can give you all the details. real good guy. get your codes checked

Does it happen all the time? Mine occassionally has issues when it gets really, really, really cold where it likes to stall when I don't have my foot on the gas, OR it'll idle too high when I first start it up. Once the temp goes above 32F or so it goes away.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    The VX will start but then when i try to put it into gear it will die! what would cause that? We already replaced the Mass Flow because the "check Engine: light came on and that was the code they gave us. But now this. HELP!!! PLEASE!!!
    Check that you securely fixed connector and if it securely fit check the wiring. One day I forgot to set plug back to MAF and the behavior was exactly the same.
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock

The problem is intermittent, but often enough to anger me. It will happen one day and be fine another. sometimes at idle it will act like there was a vacuum leak the RPM's will go up to about 1k then down to about 200. It will die occasionally when stopping or if you let off the gas, an example of this would be in a parking garage, coming down I didn’t have my foot on the gas at all, as soon as I start turning or apply the break... Dead... put it in neutral to restart then next turn ... dead... VERY aggravating. I have read most cases of this have been fixed by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. Given that its not 100 percent I don’t want to dump another 100 dollars in it and still have the same symptoms.

GRRRRRR

Clint, let me know what you do next, and if you decide to look for a mechanic. I am still trying to find a trustworthy, Isuzu friendly shop here in the Reno area. I need my bearings repacked, brakes and rotors changed and depending on how things pan out, possibly to get this coolant leak looked at.

I love my VX, but man, its a full time job keeping her up to speed.

GRRRRRR from me too.

Bart

The problem is intermittent, but often enough to anger me. It will happen one day and be fine another. sometimes at idle it will act like there was a vacuum leak the RPM's will go up to about 1k then down to about 200. It will die occasionally when stopping or if you let off the gas, an example of this would be in a parking garage, coming down I didn’t have my foot on the gas at all, as soon as I start turning or apply the break... Dead... put it in neutral to restart then next turn ... dead... VERY aggravating. I have read most cases of this have been fixed by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. Given that its not 100 percent I don’t want to dump another 100 dollars in it and still have the same symptoms.

GRRRRRR

Erratic idle symptoms that I have noticed should always start with a good idle control valve cleaning. There are a few threads on performing this easy operation. Plus its free to do, which always makes for a good start.
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

Mine was doing the same thing, very erratic. Run fine one day, die quietly the next until one day it just wouldn't stay started. I replaced the idol control valve and everything has been great since. Its an inexpensive part, around $50.00 and a 10 minute start to finish install. Good luck!

Thanks guys its been a pain I will try all these suggestions tomorrow.

Bart, I don’t really plan on taking to a mechanic unless things get serious. I have worked on all my own vehicles since I was like 14, so I am fairly confident in doing things myself, plus it’s cheaper. But if I find anyone I will definitely let you know.

you might try grabbing the wiring harness on the drivers side, kinda laying on the fender well. jiggle it around a bit, and see if the idle revs, or dies. also check all plugs, get some dielectric grease, adn grease the plugs up. these are things chris(climbcovey ) has done. i think hes about got it whiped.. are you getting a check engine light, and if so, what are the codes???

Talking

Bart, I don’t really plan on taking to a mechanic unless things get serious. I have worked on all my own vehicles since I was like 14, so I am fairly confident in doing things myself, plus it’s cheaper. But if I find anyone I will definitely let you know.
    Well, $h1T man, then we need to fix my coolant leak together

!!!Bart

No engine light, which is a pain cause it is a guessing game.

had a very similar prob, ended up being with the air intake if you have the stock box make sure it is completely closed

Well I changed the Idle air control valve and so far that seemed to do it. I also changed the PCV valve and now the check engine light came on. I took it to AutoZone to get the code and it is calling for bad O2 sensor. Apparently there are four and they are 50 a pop. I don’t really want to change them all if only one is bad. Any suggestions?

At least it seems to be running normal.