Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suspension Squeak

Suspension Squeak

Had all 4 shocks replaced with the Bilsteins. HUGE difference in ride quality. I thought before that I was just going to have to deal with the rough ride but now it is much more tolerable.
    Anyway, here's the question. Since the shocks were all replaced, I've noticed a squeak at low speeds from the front end. It happens with minor bumps and undulations in the road. I can only hear it at low speeds. Any suggestions? With my old Fiero I could trace the squeak down to a loose front cover but with the VX being solid as a rock, I doubt it's the same. The VX has about 81k on it and my best guess is bushings that need to be replaced. Possibly anti-roll bar bushings? Does the VX have a front anti-roll bar?? Anyway, you all are the experts here so figured I'd throw it out there and see what you think. If the bushings do need to be replaced, anyone have any suggestions for nice aftermarket sport bushings rather than the typical rubber OEM ones? Thanks for your time.

You gotta do a search for anti-swaybar bushings, suspension squeaks... etc. There is good info from way back and through time. Moncha used to sell poly sway bar bushings from Energy Suspension - do a search for that and you will find part numbers for these parts that will improve your handling a bit more and quiet that area down as well.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

First thing to check is the rubber bumpers that the hood sits against when closed. shawn
    1COOLVX

My VX has a family of mice living in it...

... or so it seems. Mine squeaks like mad, exactly as you say, at slow speeds. I think it probably squeaks all the time, but I can only hear it when I am going slow.

Is it easy to replace the sway bar bushings?

Bart

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...02&postcount=1
    here is the thread with the part numbers/info about the sway bar bushings... anyone have additional info on these? (such as maintence, difficulty of installation etc)

Simplest install ever! There are so few zerk fittings on the VX, getting the greasable bushings will more than double the points for lubing. I have had mine on for 2 or 3 months and haven't needed to grease them since I installed them. Grease them as you are putting them in, bolt in place of the existing sway bar mounts, and you are done. Get a grease gun, and you can lube them yourself at every oil change. Of course, those squeaks may be coming from different places though.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Another place known to be a squeak factory, is the hood catch (the metal loop in the hood that engages the release mechanisim)...cover the area that makes contact with duct (duck) or electricians tape, then test drive to see if that was it...then put on your thinking cap & come up with a more permanent fix than tape.

Thanks for the help guys. I will try the rubber hood bumpers and hood latch angles first. I did just have the hood latch worked on as it wasn't opening anymore.
    I also tracked down the website for Moncha's bushings as well in case I need to go that route. Never replaced bushings myself though. I take it by reading other people's quotes that it's very easy. I'm guessing most of the work is mustering the will to try it and the strength needed to unlock some rusted bolts.

One way to temporarily fix the sway bar squeaks is to lube the robber bushings with silicone spray. Works fine for simple road use.

joe, where did you find the bushings that Moncha used to offer at? i havent looked very hard, but if you already have the site would you mind posting the link? my vx doesnt squeak.. but i like the sound of the handling performance improvement from them

Arrow

etlsport,

I believe those are Energy Suspension part numbers in the link you posted...

IIRC, I took those part #'s to Auto Zone & they ordered them for me.

Question

pardon a, perhaps, silly question -

would swapping the stock bushings with the upgraded ones require an alignment, afterwards? like etlsport, i dig the improved handling bit.

thanks.

-jose
    2001 kaiser silver #1002

awesome, i figured id have to hunt for hours like most VX part.. i dont think ive ever ordered anything from autozone for my VX actually.. lol

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 2K1 1K2
    pardon a, perhaps, silly question -

would swapping the stock bushings with the upgraded ones require an alignment, afterwards? like etlsport, i dig the improved handling bit.

thanks.

-jose
    No alignment necessary.

Thumbs up

thanks!

-jose