One thing I have not seen mentioned (or, I missed it) that may be impacting the numbers showing up at meets, is the cost of gasoline. It has more than doubled in the last few years! So, maybe everyone is saving-up for that super-meet in Moab. Another thought is that as your VX is getting older, you may be less inclined to make that extra trip that shortens its life.

Reading some of the comments from past postings about the fuel mileage some of you are getting, means that it costs a lot to drive a distance to a VX gathering. In my other major hobby, ham radio, there are numerous gatherings (hamfests) around the country every year, even dozens right here in the NC/VA/SC area. My attendance at those events has significantly decreased due to the same reasons that others have already mentioned above. However, the real clincher, is when I look in my wallet on Friday evening or Saturday morning and realize what it is going to cost to attend an event for a few hours, I have second thoughts. That has not dampened my enthusiasm for the hobby. I am still active in various other forms - e-mail reflectors, part-time business, on-the-air competitions, etc.

So, instead of attending meets, you may get to see me when I am in your area on a business trip. Such was a recent occasion when I was in Austin, TX, and had dinner with some local VXers. I'll post a note on the board when I am heading out and see if anyone would like to have lunch/dinner and show me their VX.