Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on window tint I had done...

Question Need some advice on window tint I had done...

I took her in to a pretty reputable shop to have the back windows blacked out (5% charcoal) and the driver and passengers done at 50% charcoal. Product is Sun-Gard Endurance.

It's been a week now and the back looks great, but the front sides are just full of tiny fish eyes, it looks like I'm seeing through a window with tiny water droplets on it. They are had to see but the mini distortions are quite visible...

Now is this normal at first?
    (It's also been cold) Will heat and time make this go away? To me it looks like a poor installation, but that is hard to believe from this shop (unless a noob did it..).

I have a lifetime warranty and they'll likely redo it if I ask, but will I get the same result again?

Thanks.

the shop i had all of my other cars tinted at told me that the tint should be fully finished after 3 days... did you roll down the windows right away? i was told not to roll them down for a few days after they were done to make sure everything was dried.. maybe longer in the winter?....i would wait until it warms up some to get it redone, installation is easier when its hot out imho

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    the shop i had all of my other cars tinted at told me that the tint should be fully finished after 3 days... did you roll down the windows right away? i was told not to roll them down for a few days after they were done to make sure everything was dried.. maybe longer in the winter?....i would wait until it warms up some to get it redone, installation is easier when its hot out imho
    yup, I have yet to roll em down after a week. I'm wondering if they are still curing since it's cold.

I don't think I've ever had tint done in the winter, but on my last three vehicles, there were no bubbles whatsoever and there was no curing time. They looked great from the time I picked them up. They generally use heat guns and space heaters and whatnot in the shop to help speed up the drying process - it sounds to me like they stopped a little early to save time. I don't know whether this problem will correct itself over time, but in cold damp weather, I have my doubts.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

That should never happen. Take it back and use your warranty.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    Agreed. Take it back!

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

I concur! crappy install. Take it back now.

Kenny,

Did you ever get this fixed?

I just had mine done today - 15% all around - and have the same exact issue. Tiny little bubbles, hundreds of them - on ALL the windows.

The installer swore it was just fresh and needed to 'cure' and dry. Said it would take longer to do so because of winter...

I'm curious if your windows got better once cured/dried?

-biju.

Update.

Quote Originally Posted by biju
    Kenny,

Did you ever get this fixed?

I just had mine done today - 15% all around - and have the same exact issue. Tiny little bubbles, hundreds of them - on ALL the windows.

The installer swore it was just fresh and needed to 'cure' and dry. Said it would take longer to do so because of winter...

I'm curious if your windows got better once cured/dried?

-biju.
    Thanks for the reminder, I should have posted an update earlier.

Yes, the million little bubbles went away after a week or two in underground parking at work (out of the cold). The view out the side windows is near perfect now. I have to look very hard when it's very cold to see any little diffractions from the bubbles.

I'm happy with the job now - though I do have about 4 or 5 tiny air bubbles on the rear windows at the edges. They are more visible there because the tint is so dark. I'll see if I get picky enough to have them fix them in summer.

Try putting a car warmer in there for a few days and be patient. It paid off for me (actually I was procrastinating and the issue resolved itself ) .

Good Luck man.

Kenny,

Your muffler probably 'vibrated' those bubbles out!

j/k

I'm glad your problem self-resolved. Those are the best kinds of problems, right?
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Thanks man. Appreciate the update...

I'm using halogens to try to heat the windows in the garage... so far seems to help, but the 'fish eye' bubbles are still driving me nuts! ha.

-bij.

so i went out for a drive today to hang out by the river.. on the way back i saw a nice looking camaro IROC.. stopped to investigate it.. turns out it was parked infront of a very poorly marked customizing shop, i was talkin to the guy inside about the VX and he came out to look and was so excited about it he offered to tint my windows for $130 just so he would have a chance to work on it!... now i too have lots of little bubbles... cant wait til they go away, its gonna be purdy!
    Last edited by etlsport : 04/08/2007 at 07:35 AM

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Ya, for window tint to settle correctly, sunlight is a plus. Not sunlight creeping through the 30f winter sky, but through good spring/summer skies. Think of the old Shrinky-Dinks.... it works much the same. It needs to be "baked" so to speak. Evaporation needs to take effect and it also helps the adhesive catalyst take effect.

I would love to tint my windows again, but state and county police have already had me pull my tint twice. The second time, it was completely legal, but they didnt see it that way. I will NEVER tint my vehicles again. I have actually gotten used to sitting in a completely visible bubble, heh. If anything, I get less attention now without tint. A welcome change.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

yea i was/am pretty worried about getting pulled over for it.. i had the guy at the shop do 20% in the rear and he will be doing 35% or 50% on the doors sometime in the future, but i needed functioning windows this weekend so i had him hold off on the doors

Tint

Good Morning etlsport,

Where is this custom shop located?
    Did they do a good job?
    How long did it take?

I'm looking to have mine windows tinted.

Thanks,
    Howard (0761)