Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Front and Rear Aussie Lockers now available for the VX

I do agree the ARB is the way to go...and if you are doing one you might as well do both

However,The Aussie in the front has been very nice.Where some people were making three point turns the VX would still make it in a single.As far as a trade off in turning goes the only time I have noticed any real issues was in mud but with All Terrain tires it wouldn't make a difference if it was locked or not....it was still going to slide

Once the rear one shows itself it WILL be purchased and WILL be installed....after clicking on the E-brake in Moab it's time to go ahead and lock the rear too.

I myself couldn't be happier with the Aussie but to each his own...some may not like the feel and some may not like the hassle of dealing with hubs.

I do know if a SAS ever comes into the future it will have a selectable in it.I would look like Popeye after a week in Moab after turning 35's on that slick rock with a lunchbox in the front
    I got your Jeep thing....now it burns when I pee!

http://www.mwior.com/

I've been following this thread and am still unclear about some thing.... how is this different than having my vx in 4L? does the rear diff. still only turn the low traction wheel in 4L? would the new rear diff. affect my TOD? and what the hell does putting pressure on the e-break do?

Even with your rig in 4lo if one of your wheels happens to find itself in the air you aren't going to get any power to the one on the ground.

The VX has a limited slip rear so if you give the E-brake a couple clicks up it gives the LSD a false idea that it needs to put power to both rear wheels instead of the one hangin in mid air...kind of a cheap locker alternative...LOL

thanks!

follow-up: will a locked diff in the rear affect my daily driving? I can deduce that i would not be happy with the compromises of putting one in the front...

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS
    Billy, did you order the rear gears from Indy yet? It is all too easy to find 5.38's for the D44.
    Not yet. I am waiting for the 12 bolt Aussie locker to become available.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin
    thanks!

follow-up: will a locked diff in the rear affect my daily driving? ...
    Yes. Especially on ice. On ice, an open diff keeps the rear wheel with more traction as a more or less stable anchor, because it doesn't spin. If your axle was locked together, both tires would spin and if you are on a side slope your VX would slide to the low side. Or if one tire got more traction than the other at speed it could cause fishtailing. On dry pavement, a locker causes more aggressive tire wear and sometimes tire chirping around corners. Sometimes the locker will disengage allowing the tires to turn at different speeds but this also causes some disturbing clunking sounds (depending on locker type or brand) and can move the rig around strangely. I would go selectable locker all the way, as I have driven rigs with 3 different types of lockers - ARB, Detroit, lunchbox.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin
    thanks!

follow-up: will a locked diff in the rear affect my daily driving? I can deduce that i would not be happy with the compromises of putting one in the front...
    Unless you plan on wheeling just as much as driving to work a locker really isn't going to fit into your needs.It goes into the Street or Trail category...as in do I want this rig for street or do I want this rig for trail?

If you go wheeling once in awhile then I wouldn't suggest it but if you go quite a bit then sure why not.

The Aussie does ratchet but it also lets out a tire chirp on turns.

If you don't like the compromises of the Aussie then I would say you are going to be happier with ARB's in the front and rear.They won't interfere with the daily commute but they will make you a mad man on the trails!

just my .02