Thread: My VX should be in the garage in the winter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VX should be in the garage in the winter

The latest stop at autozone, I was informed that I should not be driving my VX in the winter. Some guy told me its a Collector item. What the fun is that???? No VX in the snow???? Pffft!!!!

I've been told the same thing about taking mine out on my "minor" off road 'ventures. I usually get the old "I can't believe you take that there"! I just laugh and say why own a 4x4 if your not going to use it...if I wanted to tackle those big bad speed bumps at the mall I would have bought a car (or jeep, if thats what they own)!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Felt the same way about my 59 Studebaker I had a while back. It was my daily driver, and I didnt baby it. Much more fun to drive it every day- just like my VX.

They seem like the same kind of people found sitting in a rocking chair on the porch of some retirement home regretting not having done more with their lives. Or the people you see with extended cab fullsize pickups lifted to the clouds and bedecked with every "offroad" gadget made for their vehicle, triple chrome shocks, etc, who you absolutley know have never gone onto dirt a day in their lives. They don't see purpose in what they do, they just buy/like the look.

Wait a second, arent cars made to be driven? If you dont drive it, sell it.

I remember years ago I went to a Chevy dealer and was looking at the Camaro SS anniversary edition. All white with orange stripes. Beautiful car. I talked to the salesman about it, and it was apparent off the bat that he didnt want to sell me the car because he seemed to think I "looked too young" to have this car. Since when does age account for personal success? You sell cars.... I BUY them. He did everything and said everything to try to sway me from buying it. He said "this isnt the kind of car you drive.... its for safe keeping in a garage since its a gem". Another older gentleman was also looking at the car as well and said "Well in that case, this isnt the car for me. If I spend money on a vehicle like this, it is gonna be driven, not paid for and forgotten. I feel disrespected simply because you are disrespecting this young man. I will buy a car elsewhere". Right on brother!

My VX spends a lot of time in the garage, but that's only because I have a daily driver that gets better mileage. It allows me to look forward to weekend driving in the VX though.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Now see... I disagree with all of you to an extent. 0177 doesn't leave it's stall, if there are rain clouds anywhere near my part of Fla.. The window washers have never been squirted, The heater has never been run... the AC only once or twice. No one ever sat in the back seats(they are in a closet in a guest bedroom). Does all this mean I enjoy the car any less than you?? This thing has made me smile every time I look at it, since the day I brought it home six years ago. I've plenty of cars to beat up, or commute in, or work out of.... why should I not treat this one like the special, weirdo,little jewel it is?? True, I want one to "cut up" A VX... it won't be 0177. Many cars drive better (sorry kids) very few look better. In 20 or 30, when I'm gone, my kids will have this one... and it'll have about 35000 on the clock Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanzak
    The latest stop at autozone, I was informed that I should not be driving my VX in the winter. Some guy told me its a Collector item. What the fun is that???? No VX in the snow???? Pffft!!!!
    That's pretty funny. I actually got my VX so I would HAVE something to drive in the winter! Granted, I also spoil my VX...and I certainly spend too much MONEY on my VX...but I'm not going to go all weird and, like, never touch it!

What else would that AutoZone guy recommend? Never sit in the leather seats, so they won't get torn? Never use the door handles, in case they wear out? Never use the windows, in case they break?

Oh, wait, that last one is true!

Yeah, its certainly funny to see how we are are differnt, on one end of the spectrum we have Billy and Uncle_asa pushing their Vxes to the limit (especially uncle_asa with that spectacular jumping action) and then there are people like me who baby their VX as often as possible. My wife actually said the other day, "you would f$%k it if you could, wouldn't you?". LOL!

Now that I have had a taste of detailing the engine after my hair brained oil incident last weekend, I can't wait to do a REAL detailing once the weather is nicer.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    That's pretty funny. I actually got my VX so I would HAVE something to drive in the winter! Granted, I also spoil my VX...and I certainly spend too much MONEY on my VX...but I'm not going to go all weird and, like, never touch it!

What else would that AutoZone guy recommend? Never sit in the leather seats, so they won't get torn? Never use the door handles, in case they wear out? Never use the windows, in case they break?

Oh, wait, that last one is true!