Thread: Dash Rattle

Dash Rattle

Anyone have a dash rattle? I've got one that starts about 20mph and then disappears around 70 or so. It seems to be right behind the instrument cluster. I've been underneath the dash and can't find anything that might be the culprit and figure I need to diasassemble the instrument cluster. Any ideas/suggestions before I start prodding?

Smile

Very easy to take the cluster out. Just make sure you disconnect the battery as the back of the cluster is all circuit board, one live wire and POP! (Been there).
    And the yellow plug at the back that you have to disconnect has a locking latch on the side of it. You can see it if you leave it for last and pull out the cluster most of the way. Oh, also you may scratch the top of the steering wheel neck if you pull out the cluster too aggressively (Been there too.)

Not too sure what's back there to rattle tho'... Something could have dropped in the heat vents - or the back of your head unit area could be the culprit too...

Good Luck.

check the VIN plate ontop of the dash under the windshield on the drivers side... i had that same rattle, i just put small piece of foam under the middle of it and voila!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

ok, needless to say I will try Etlsport's suggestion first
    if that doesn't do the trick I will fiddle with the instrument cluster, I appreciate the help and the advice on what NOT to do!
    thanks again!!

Hurray, finally found that awful rattle. Thanks to Bart or Little Beast ( I can't remember which), I wanted to switch radios out for one that had a working cassette head. Apparently, there was an amp attached to the antenna wire. Basically, it's a small black box, I'm assuming it's an amp of some kind. Either way, it was behind the radio resting on the metal in the back of the dash. All this time I thought the rattle was coming from behind the instrument panel and instead it was behind the radio. Wow, I'm very happy to finally track down that one. Now, on to my list of 2-3 OTHER annoying noises/creaks that the VX has...

Wow, took ya that long to find that?!? LoL, I would have gone crazy already and have had the entire dash taken out as to not have to worry about "any" rattles at all!
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Hmmm... mine squeeks from time to time.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    wow, you guys are so particular... ive taken mine apart so many times, and have put so many accessories in it i dont think i could ever find a small rattle like that...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

let's just say it wasn't necessarily a small rattle, it was loud enough to overwhlem the radio but for whatever reason it only rattled between 60 and 65, so I got used to driving the speed limit or driving 70, I tried a few things behind the instrument cluster but nothing worked so I gave up and resigned myself to living with it. It was a nice side bonus to discover the culprit by exchanging radios.

but officer ..I had to go over 70 to make the rattle stop..lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Hmmm, my dash just started rattling pretty bad. I don't know where the sound is coming from, but it's freakin annoying. I hope it is something simple because I really don't want to tear into my dash. When sitting at a light parked it was really loud....

Bart

I've noticed a squeak in my dash (not a rattle) and it seems to go away if I press down on the top of the dash right behind the steering wheel. With that totally unscientific test it seems that the squeak is coming from the dash/instrument cluster bezel (dash face) junction. I have a feeling that if I tighten the face down, or take it out and put some strips of foam back there it should stop the squeak.

Not sure if that is your issue, but I know many of us have been in and out of our dashes a lot and the face may be a little loose, so that may be where your rattle/ squeak is coming from.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Hey Mark,

My sound is more like a rattle or clicking. I just read through a bunch of old "dash rattle" threads, and it sounds like there are a few different possibilities.

I had the heat on full blast on my windshield this morning as it was snowing pretty good and I read somewhere that the blinker mechanism can get too hot and cause the relay to freak out or something. I dunno, I will hopefully figure it out. It's loud enough to hear over the music, so it is pretty damn annoying.

I just really don't want to tear into my dash again, but...

Bart

Bart,

What are you doing to your poor VX? Kidding.

Yeah, I could see how the rattle would be annoying if you can't drown it out with some tunes. So far my squeak isn't too bad, and it really only shows up when I go over bumpy roads, but I want to get it fixed before Moab so I don't go completely stir crazy on the trails.

If you don't get it figured out there is always "Red Rock Wrenching".....if you guys can make it, that is.

EDIT: BART, I just thought about this; does the rattle happen only when your interior fan is running? If so the fan may be out of balance or hitting something in the dash. Every now and then my fan will go out of whack and contact something back in the dash and make a loud, rhythmic ticking/clacking sound (and it is loud enough to be heard over the music). Luckily it goes away, but I may have to get back there and fix it some day. You said that your rattle happened when the heater was going full blast (lucky dog with all the snow) so that's what made me think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Bart,

What are you doing to your poor VX? Kidding.
    Nothing! I take good care of her!!! I think it must have had something to do with the heat being on full blast. I just went to get coffee across the street and the rattle was gone, and I didn't have the heater on.

I did COMPLETELY spin out exiting the parking lot though. I tell ya, in all of my short 33 years of life, I have NEVER driven in slicker conditions than today.

If you don't get it figured out there is always "Red Rock Wrenching".....if you guys can make it, that is.
    Unfortunately, it's not in the cards this year.

EDIT: BART, I just thought about this; does the rattle happen only when your interior fan is running? If so the fan may be out of balance or hitting something in the dash. Every now and then my fan will go out of whack and contact something back in the dash and make a loud, rhythmic ticking/clacking sound (and it is loud enough to be heard over the music). Luckily it goes away, but I may have to get back there and fix it some day. You said that your rattle happened when the heater was going full blast (lucky dog with all the snow) so that's what made me think of it.
    Yeah, I am thinking it is the fan or the blinker relay...

Thanks!

Bart