Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hood Latch Grease

Bart,

There are two rubber stops under the front lip of the bumper...left and right of the latch.

Just screw them UPWARDS a little bit. Only a couple of turns. This raises them just enough to exert more upward force on the hood when the latch is released, allowing it to pop up free of the latch.

Try it! It's an easy fix.
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Bart,

There are two rubber stops under the front lip of the bumper...left and right of the latch.

Just screw them UPWARDS a little bit. Only a couple of turns. This raises them just enough to exert more upward force on the hood when the latch is released, allowing it to pop up free of the latch.

damn was just about to say tat

Awesome, I will try that.

THanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Bart,

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    And try some WD40 on everything that moves in the latch and spring mechanism. Mine would only open with two people until I cleaned it out good with WD40, and the pop returned (then I followed with the lithium grease discussed above).

Good luck!

Yo bra... how you get so much rust, way out there in the desert? Man, I thought you guys were dry. Not like you come outta Chi-town or something. Replace the whole thing now...while the part is readily available. Five years from now, when it craps out altogether, the story may be different. If the latch is getting crusty, swap out the cable too. Guarantee it's rotting too, and it's much easier to do while you can still open the hood with the cable. Voice of experience here, calling out your name... wait for it to stretch or break and you will regret it. It'll still be a PIA job ...just not as big a pain.

I do not think my VX was garaged during its early years. My guess is this VX sat on a Chicago street through at least 4 winters. Out here, yeah, dry as a bone...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    Yo bra... how you get so much rust, way out there in the desert? Man, I thought you guys were dry. Not like you come outta Chi-town or something. Replace the whole thing now...while the part is readily available. Five years from now, when it craps out altogether, the story may be different. If the latch is getting crusty, swap out the cable too. Guarantee it's rotting too, and it's much easier to do while you can still open the hood with the cable. Voice of experience here, calling out your name... wait for it to stretch or break and you will regret it. It'll still be a PIA job ...just not as big a pain.

The hardest part is feeding it through the firewall. I was kidding. Thought I remembered you as a Chicago resident in the past. Tough neighborhood if you're made of steel... or Floridian carbon compounds.

Yup, I used to be a Floridian too! Lived there for 7 years, and hated every last sticky minute of it! I don't know how warm blooded creatures tolerate that festering sauna down there!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    The hardest part is feeding it through the firewall. I was kidding. Thought I remembered you as a Chicago resident in the past. Tough neighborhood if you're made of steel... or Floridian carbon compounds.