Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hood Latch Grease

Hood Latch Grease

OK, so my hood latch release mechanism was really, really rusty. So I took it off and cleaned it up and gave it a quick shot of black spray paint.

Now, the latch sticks a little and is squeaking REALLY bad. I know now that the squeking sounds I have had all along were from the hood latch.

So I want to lube it back up nice and good. What product should I use to lube this part?

Thanks - Bart

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    I use a lithium grease that sprays out of a can like WD-40. It's thicker than the runny WD-40, so it stays where you spray it. Handy stuff.

ive started using the cable lube on alot of things,.....i think it has graphite in it and really gets in there. kinda messy, but i just spray, then wipe everything else off..
    put a paper towl behind what your spraying to prevent over spray

Thanks guys, where can I get these products? Home Depot? AutoZone? Wal*mart?

Thanks,

Bart

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Probably at any of the three. I don't remember specifically where I bought the Li grease, though.

If the grease doesn't stop the squeaking, try wrapping some tape around the D-shaped catch where the secondary latch rubs it. I used self-vulcanizing tape on mine to quiet the squeak. An aftermarket bushing that fits snuggly might be better.

Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

What is self-vucanizing tape and where can I get some? Does this mean that the tape kind of melts together after you stick it on? I was thinking of using some gaffer tape...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet
    If the grease doesn't stop the squeaking, try wrapping some tape around the D-shaped catch where the secondary latch rubs it. I used self-vulcanizing tape on mine to quiet the squeak. An aftermarket bushing that fits snuggly might be better.

Talking

I used self-vulcanizing tape on mine to quiet the squeak.
    If you use Vulcanizing tape, will your VX live longer? Will it prosper?

hey bart,
    cable lube......Ace hardware, or motorcycle shop, not sure about lowe's, etc....

vulcanizing tape, Lowes, ace, home depot, etc....should be around the electrical tape

dave

Thanks!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX
    hey bart,
    cable lube......Ace hardware, or motorcycle shop, not sure about lowe's, etc....

vulcanizing tape, Lowes, ace, home depot, etc....should be around the electrical tape

dave

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    What is self-vucanizing tape and where can I get some? Does this mean that the tape kind of melts together after you stick it on? I was thinking of using some gaffer tape...
    It's great stuff. Stretch it a little and it sticks to itself. I bought it to wrap the wiring harness in my Torino, and it's way better than electrical tape. I think I bought it at The Eastwood Company. It's been about 15 years since I bought it, so who knows anymore. It was personally delivered by Spock.

Here's the Eastwood link, called 'Cold Shrink Tape'

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

So I put little strip of gaffer tape around the "U" shaped part of the hood latch, and voila! No more mice living in my VX! Wow, what a difference!

I still need to grease it up because its not popping open like it used to...

Bart

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    I still need to grease it up because its not popping open like it used to...
    Grease won't help much there iether. That will take some adjusting of the latch. I moved mine around several different ways until it released, but it still doesn't "pop up" like when it was new. For a while I had to jam a piece of plastic in the lever while I went outside to pull up the hood. I had the dealership adjust it at the next service, but it still wasn't right. It just takes time and patience to get it right. I'll play with mine some more when it warms up.

Yeah, its kind of annoying. I don't understand why it won't pop. Even before the tape was put on, it wouldn't pop. Right now I have to have my wife pull the lever in the truck while I pull up on the hood. Somewhat annoying. I'm just quite happy the squeaking is gone.

The weird thing is, if I push the locking mechanism closed with a screwdriver (while the hood is open) I can pull the lever and it pops, but not with hood closed...

Bart

Grease won't help much there iether. That will take some adjusting of the latch. I moved mine around several different ways until it released, but it still doesn't "pop up" like when it was new. For a while I had to jam a piece of plastic in the lever while I went outside to pull up the hood. I had the dealership adjust it at the next service, but it still wasn't right. It just takes time and patience to get it right. I'll play with mine some more when it warms up.