Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best method to remove lettering?

debadged today.. used a hair dryer and a plastic spatula, worked like a charm.. just a small warning though, there will be some letter "shadows" left behind mines an 01 that is very often washed and waxed

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Good job. Mine had a cloudiness for about 6 months. After several washes and one DIY wax, I can't see it at all. Being debadged is much, much fun.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    debadged today.. used a hair dryer and a plastic spatula, worked like a charm.. just a small warning though, there will be some letter "shadows" left behind mines an 01 that is very often washed and waxed

yeah, mines not too bad, so im hopeful that itll go away with a fresh coat of wax and that new liquid claybar stuff... im eager to give that a shot!

yea my motivation to debadge came the other day, i pulled into a michael's and this family in a blazer in front of me just stared as i pulled in.. i started walkin towards the store and turned around because i heard talking, the dad and son were standing beside the vx pointing and gawking, i felt good, got to the door and a woman comes up to me and says 'what the heck is a cross?'(custom grille badge) and i explained it to her, the two next to my vx walked over and the dad says to the woman in a very disappointed voice.. "its just an isuzu" i wanted to tell him to take his blazer up against my isuzu and see what happened haha

JUST AN ISUZU!!! Obviously he has no clue

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    yeah, mines not too bad, so im hopeful that itll go away with a fresh coat of wax and that new liquid claybar stuff... im eager to give that a shot!

yea my motivation to debadge came the other day, i pulled into a michael's and this family in a blazer in front of me just stared as i pulled in.. i started walkin towards the store and turned around because i heard talking, the dad and son were standing beside the vx pointing and gawking, i felt good, got to the door and a woman comes up to me and says 'what the heck is a cross?'(custom grille badge) and i explained it to her, the two next to my vx walked over and the dad says to the woman in a very disappointed voice.. "its just an isuzu" i wanted to tell him to take his blazer up against my isuzu and see what happened haha

I can also see some ghosting and residue on your license plate. What did you use to remove the license plate letters?

OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

I would just like to throw in that a piece of plexiglass, lexan, and really any sheet plastic can be one of the greatest tools for removing all kinds of stuff like badges, adhesives, silicone type seals, gaskets, etc. You just need to put it on a grinding wheel for a couple seconds to make a chisel/putty knife type edge and it will remove anything without damaging paint or underlying material. It is also very versatile since you can reshape it to whatever angle/profile is needed. I usually get ahold of a big sheet of it then cut it into various ready to grind sizes just to keep around for future projects.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

all this talk of taking letters off.. has anyone put them back on? i want to take off my VehiCROSS logos and repaint them and put em back on... rather than spend almost 100 bucks for new ones.. just not sure how to put em back on, any idears?

3M, and others, make a two sided adhesive tape just for automotive trim. Check with your local auto paint supply house.
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.