Thread: Tons o' trouble...

Tons o' trouble...

Hey folks havent been on in a while due to work/play/house yadda yadda yadda. Anyways, seems the VX is going through some rough times lately. I'll list them in order of apperiance:

1. Driver/Pass windows "cant". This is a known issue with all VX's it seems. Will address in the spring

2. CD changer stuck. Still another known issue.

3. ABS light on. Ohm'd out the sensors and they are all in the 1.6xxohm range. Most likely the pump. Will have to source one cheap.

4. Engine light on. Brought it over to the local parts slingers and the read out said bank one aft sensor. Replaced both aft sensors with Bosch aftermarkets and reset teh computer. Light came back on after about a day. Now reads bank 1/bank 2 aft sensor low voltage.

No. 4 is my main concern. Anybody deal with this issue with Bosch after market O2 sensors?

Anyways, all 4 issues are open for discussion. If you have fixe's suggestions, I'm all ears.

Don't know about the VX, but the general consensus on the Impala SS forum was that Bosch O2 sensors were crap, for whatever that is worth...

for now with your windows try spraying some silicone lubricant in the tracks and/or cleaning out the tracks.. worked wonders for my windows

i dont think theres anything you can do about the cd changer.. i have one for sale i pulled from my vx in working condition if youd like it PM me... look in the how-to section for a description of how to get your CDs out of the broken one

if you havent done it already id download/burn a copy of the VX repair manual from www.tonemonday.com (in the VX parts section) it helps with problem diagnosis and part locations

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by Zorak
    Don't know about the VX, but the general consensus on the Impala SS forum was that Bosch O2 sensors were crap, for whatever that is worth...
    Hey Zorak. Just curious which SS forum you frequent. My dad bought a Dark Cherry '96 last year, and it'd be great to be able to refer him to a good site should the need for info, etc, be necesary.

Y3--sent you a PM. Don't want to hijak Rooster's thread.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Hey folks havent been on in a while due to work/play/house yadda yadda yadda. Anyways, seems the VX is going through some rough times lately. I'll list them in order of apperiance:

3. ABS light on. Ohm'd out the sensors and they are all in the 1.6xxohm range. Most likely the pump. Will have to source one cheap.

4. Engine light on. Brought it over to the local parts slingers and the read out said bank one aft sensor. Replaced both aft sensors with Bosch aftermarkets and reset teh computer. Light came back on after about a day. Now reads bank 1/bank 2 aft sensor low voltage.

No. 4 is my main concern. Anybody deal with this issue with Bosch after market O2 sensors?
    3. Is your TOD lighting up?? If your ABS light is on and the TOD lights are dead (No green bars) then it's a cluster fuse. Check em out (near your left knee area).

4. I've had a Bosch O2 in the rear bank for 4 months now with no issues. (My original still works but rings like a little bell when shook - got quite annoying.)

Good luck.

TOD still works and lights up. I checked both ABS fuses and they ohm out. Pretty sure its the pump as you can not hear it run (If you listen, it's supposed to make a very quiet whir). Not sure about the o2 sensors, I'll swing by where I got them and see what they'll do.

Just picked up a commuter car for the wife so now instead of a 200mile 3 days a week commute with the VX, it can now rest and I can work on the issues.

One thing that interested me this past week. I was pulling the VX into the garage and when I backed up in the deep snow, the ABS light went out and the pedal chattered like it does when the ABS is working. I was thinking maybe it just needed a good stomping on the pedal (I was sliding towards another vehicle and was aggressively trying to stop). Anyways, went out the next day to take a look see if the light was still out, nope it came back on.

So, either I have a flakey pump, or my ABS only works in reverse...

If the ABS light comes on when driving there should be a stored code. I would get this checked before replacing anything. shawn
    1COOLVX

ABs...

My AB light has been on for quite some time now, another thing thats on my long list of repairs needed. For me thought I do know what it is, the sensors in the back are coverd with metal shavings from the old rotors, which I have since replaced, just need to replacethe sensors now. Was wondering though before I did that whether or not cleaning the shavings off would work? Anyone had a similiar experience.
    As for the ABS only working in reverse possibly, I've never had that happen, a few times it did come back on but only briefly and then went right back again. I'd check your sensors before I did anything else since it can't hurt, pretty easy to do, you can't miss them at the back wheels, esepecially if they have metal on them.
    99 Ebony Black
    The Jersey Fish
    East Rockaway NY
    NYPD's Finest

Quote Originally Posted by Thejerseyfish
    My AB light has been on for quite some time now, another thing thats on my long list of repairs needed. For me thought I do know what it is, the sensors in the back are coverd with metal shavings from the old rotors, which I have since replaced, just need to replacethe sensors now. Was wondering though before I did that whether or not cleaning the shavings off would work? Anyone had a similiar experience.
    As for the ABS only working in reverse possibly, I've never had that happen, a few times it did come back on but only briefly and then went right back again. I'd check your sensors before I did anything else since it can't hurt, pretty easy to do, you can't miss them at the back wheels, esepecially if they have metal on them.
    It says in the manual that the shavings can cause problems. I would try cleaning first,it can't hurt. shawn