Thread: just throwing it out there

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    kid,
    dont move too fast......i agree with chopper. take a look around you, anything you dont need and could sell? any extra work you could do? any lifestyle changes you could impliment for a couple of months so you could use that cash for a "save the vx fund"? myself, and another vxr on the board are doing the same, and cash stash is growing. im selling so much stuff, my daughter is nervous thinking shes next!!
    ya just gotta do what ya gotta do to get what you wanna do!!!
    Keep your chin up.....keep smilin
    now quit reading post, and go deliver those pizza's!!!!
    David

What about replacing the engine with an Isuzu diesel motor? That way its possible you could run on WVO or a Bio-D blend and hopefully make the saving in fuel costs essentially pay for the engine swap?

I'm sure the folks at www.biodieselnow.com would be more than willing to help.

Now I come to think of it (says the Scot who drives a diesel Yaris) has anyone ever made the swap from petrol for diesel power in their VX? Judging by the prices being fetched by VW TDis in North America (I'm a member of a coupe of other US-based forums) a diesel VX would be worth 10s of thousands of $...

Good luck with whatever you choose...

Alan

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    thanks for the wishful words guys but just like chopper said, im way over my head in money to repair the thing...
    i actually have a 92 integra GSR thats my second economy car that i drive for fun and long distances that i am now driving with studded winter tires on it....
    and actually if it werent for the fact that i live in a snowy *** state i would probably be ok with working on it slowing and trying to rebuild, but i go snowboarding about 2-3 days a week and the front wheel drive lowered car just isnt cutting it...
    im not positive on how im gonna get rid of her yet because i literally paid it off a week before i got in the accident and two weeks before she died...so right now im looking to lose about 11k on her =(....making her out to be a bad investment...
    hence the now on sticking with toyota/honda....
    if anyone has any ideas of how i can maximize what i get back from her, let me know it would be greatly appreciated...of course ill be parting out the valuable parts and replacing them with stock pieces....included are:
    roof rack
    yakima snow rack
    285 tires with toyota rims
    powervault muffler
    POSSIBLY the sound system out of her
    and a few other small misc. other stuff...

Jack,

I've been reading the post, and I'm so sorry to hear that your baby coughed up a lung. BIG time bummer. You where one of the first VX owners I met after I bought mine, and it would be a sad day to lose you from the fold.

If you ABSOLUTELY can't find a way to bring the VX back, I would say that you would probably make more money parting it out yourself, than to try and sell it as a whole to someone or a salvage yard. I know that's a big pain in the ***** for you (having to store it, and take the time to take the parts off, clean them, box them, and ship them), but it'll probably net you the most money. Being a complete cannibal I can think of a few parts that I would buy.

Keep us up to date on what you decide.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by alanbradley
    What about replacing the engine with an Isuzu diesel motor? That way its possible you could run on WVO or a Bio-D blend and hopefully make the saving in fuel costs essentially pay for the engine swap?

I'm sure the folks at www.biodieselnow.com would be more than willing to help.

Now I come to think of it (says the Scot who drives a diesel Yaris) has anyone ever made the swap from petrol for diesel power in their VX? Judging by the prices being fetched by VW TDis in North America (I'm a member of a coupe of other US-based forums) a diesel VX would be worth 10s of thousands of $...

Good luck with whatever you choose...

Alan
    Hi Alan, and Welcome. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has swapped a diesel engine into a VX, but I'm hoping to become the first to try it.

Unfortunately most Americans seem to be unaware of the advantages of diesel motors. I admittedly knew very little about them until a few years ago when Joe Black told me I could make my own BioDiesel fuel for $.70 /gal.

Diesel motors are about 30% more efficient than their gasoline counterparts, require less maintenance, and last hundreds of thousands of miles. In theory, the fuel should be cheaper because it is less refined (although the big oil companies have been sticking it to diesel owners in some parts of the country lately, it's still generally cheaper than premium gasoline) AND you can run several different flavors of alternative fuels (which helps to reduce our dependence on foreign sources of energy).

I won't rant, as this is really off topic anyway, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I agree that anyone who is considering an engine swap should SERIOUSLY consider using a diesel instead of a gasser.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i know mark, it sucks, but i would definately stay in touch on here and keep helping out and showing up to vx events, no matter what im driving
    hey chopper and some of the other guys who know a lot about the vx and how hard it is to do the motor work...is it going to be more cost efficient to rebuild myself, get a used and do the work myself, or part it? thanks
    and yea mark send me a list of what parts you would want so that i can start keeping tally...ive already had a few PM's about parts that people want...

You can pick up a2.2 or a 2.8 turbocharged Isuzu diesel engine for about €1000,- with 50.000 mls on it.
    These engines are bulletproof thumpers!
    However, it's illegal to swap a petrol engine for a diesel in the Netherlands.
    You have to get your car aproved for the road by the government each year as soon as the car is 3 years old.
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!