Thread: Misc electronics help

Misc electronics help

Hey everyone, recently I got one of these:

Clarion VMA5091 5 inch LCD Headrest Monitor: PDF Manual

I was planning to put it in my VX somewhere, but I think I am going to keep looking for a smaller LCD.

So now I have this 5 inch LCD headrest monitor. I want to use it as an external monitor for my video camera, so I can see what I am shooting when I have my camera on the crane. The LCD has inputs for video, so that is no problem, but I need a way to power it via batteries or something.

So, my question is for anyone with electronics experience. Can I just go to like Radio Shack and buy some battery housing and wire up the LCD to that? Or will the current have to to inverted somehow because this LCD is made to be powered by a car battery? Is this even possible or would it be a waste of time/money?

I really don't know much about electrical wiring, so any help would be great. I want to put this thing to use.

Thanks - Bart

I read the PDF and this thing is meant to run off your 12VDC car system (that means you can use any 12VDC source (probably 11-14 is acceptable). I've done some simlar type things and just used a little Gell Cell (sealed battery that I would rechange once in a while). I had an old 7Amp Hour unit that would run things for ever, but anything from 2Amp hour and up should last a couple hours or more depending on size. I put an inline fuse of about 1amp, just incase, and used the plug in connector that came with the adaptor I had for the way to turn it on and off (You might put in a switch?). On the other hand you could just put Eight 1.5VDC batteries in series to get your 12VDC, but I don't think it's as nice of a package (Just my oppinion).

Based on the PDF:
    Pin 1 is your +12VDC (red wire)
    Pin 3 is your common (Black wire)
    Unit draws .8Amps or less

Good Luck, taking those high altitude pictures!
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

OK cool, so this is totally doable then. Great. So, since I am stupid when it comes to all this stuff, can you break down for me what I would need to buy? I am cool with a crude setup, as long as it works and it runs for at least a few hours. If I can get what I need at Radio Shack, that would be awesome.

The unit has its own power button, but are you saying I should add a power button so that I can BE SURE it isn't drawing any juice from my batteries when not in use?

Also, what is a Gell Cell? Is this a good option? Something rechargable would be ideal...

Thanks for the help,

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Techy-D
    I read the PDF and this thing is meant to run off your 12VDC car system (that means you can use any 12VDC source (probably 11-14 is acceptable). I've done some simlar type things and just used a little Gell Cell (sealed battery that I would rechange once in a while). I had an old 7Amp Hour unit that would run things for ever, but anything from 2Amp hour and up should last a couple hours or more depending on size. I put an inline fuse of about 1amp, just incase, and used the plug in connector that came with the adaptor I had for the way to turn it on and off (You might put in a switch?). On the other hand you could just put Eight 1.5VDC batteries in series to get your 12VDC, but I don't think it's as nice of a package (Just my oppinion).

Based on the PDF:
    Pin 1 is your +12VDC (red wire)
    Pin 3 is your common (Black wire)
    Unit draws .8Amps or less

Good Luck, taking those high altitude pictures!

It can be a sealed lead acid battery or Gell cell (instead of the liquid acid it's a more of a paste). I'm not sure what radio shack has. If you have a good sales person they can help you figure it out. If not... Here's a link to a place I find some cool stuff. Here is a picture of the type of battery I was talking about. (You can search around to get more ideas) They have been good to work with if you decided to go mail order, but a local person is usually better if you're not sure what to get.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...EAD_ACID_.html

My best guess at what you need:
    1) Battery (2Amp Hour is lighter, but 7 or more Amp Hour will last a lot longer - kinda depends on your requirements for size and weight)
    2) Power wires or cable from battery (probably use crimp connectors (Insulated connectors are best choice) that slide on the battery terminals) You may be able to get a cable that meets your requirements and has a connector that can plug into your display or you'll have to crimp or solder to it.
    3) Inline fuse (crimp type or may be built into the cable if you find one)
    4) An in line switch or just pull the cable off the battery when not using.

I hope I'm being clear enough, without boring you to death. Like I said, a good sales person at your local electronic shop can be of great assistance in either finding a proper cable or pointing you to the parts to make one. RadioShack probably has a good selection of cables or things you could cut one end off and attach something to finish the project (maybe even a used old piece a connector in the junk bin that they would give you???).

How'd I do??

Great, thanks. I will let you know how it turns out. Having a monitor for my video camera will be nice, since its hard to see the LCD from the ground when I have it on the crane. This will make it much more usable...

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Techy-D
    It can be a sealed lead acid battery or Gell cell (instead of the liquid acid it's a more of a paste). I'm not sure what radio shack has. If you have a good sales person they can help you figure it out. If not... Here's a link to a place I find some cool stuff. Here is a picture of the type of battery I was talking about. (You can search around to get more ideas) They have been good to work with if you decided to go mail order, but a local person is usually better if you're not sure what to get.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...EAD_ACID_.html

My best guess at what you need:
    1) Battery (2Amp Hour is lighter, but 7 or more Amp Hour will last a lot longer - kinda depends on your requirements for size and weight)
    2) Power wires or cable from battery (probably use crimp connectors (Insulated connectors are best choice) that slide on the battery terminals) You may be able to get a cable that meets your requirements and has a connector that can plug into your display or you'll have to crimp or solder to it.
    3) Inline fuse (crimp type or may be built into the cable if you find one)
    4) An in line switch or just pull the cable off the battery when not using.

I hope I'm being clear enough, without boring you to death. Like I said, a good sales person at your local electronic shop can be of great assistance in either finding a proper cable or pointing you to the parts to make one. RadioShack probably has a good selection of cables or things you could cut one end off and attach something to finish the project (maybe even a used old piece a connector in the junk bin that they would give you???).

How'd I do??

Lcd

Hi buddy !

All you need to do is to remove the in-dash cover on your radio,pull your radio out & wire the red color (+ 12v) wire from the LCD to the red one from your radio (REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE NEGATIVE CABLE FROM THE BATTERY FIRST UNDER THE HOOD ) then have the negative (GROUND) wire which is the black attached to the black one running to your radio.
    Highly recommended is to add a in-line 8 amps fuse to the red wire from the LCD just to safety.

Bart,

Before you start reinventing the wheel, check at your local camera shop. They may have a belt pack power source already made up that suits your needs. I used to have some at work but that was years (actually could be measured in decades) ago when cameras consumed much more power. It was actually a nice set up with two 6V sealed lead acid batteries in canvas pouches for hanging from your belt & the connector was just a cigarette lighter recepticle.

You could also stop in your friendly neighborhood Batteries+ or Batteries Warehouse. Those guys actually LIKE to work with you on building up special application batteries. A few years ago I took bro's Odoscope (it's a doctor thing) in there & they helped me to swap the old NiCd batteries for Li Ion. It worked like a charm & still works to this day.

Last alternative - steal the batteries from the neighbor kid's electric car. Everyone wins ('cept the kid). You get some nice sealed lead acid batteries & the neigborhood cats don't get run over anymore.

Let me know if you need help. I could rig you up something & have it to you before Moab.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Man, how did this thread get resurrected? Its a year old! I have since abandoned this project for the most part....but thanks for the info guys.

Bart

Xactly a year ago (to the day) go figger.

Guess you don't want my help then - good

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Xactly a year ago (to the day) go figger.

Guess you don't want my help then - good
    Yeah, that is weird...eventually, if I ever get back to shooting movies with my camera crane, I will need to do this somehow, so I will call upon your skills then!

Thanks - Bart

"skills" Heh heh heh.

I only know enough to be dangerous - keeps things interesting.