Thread: Preparing For Lift & Tire Purchase

Preparing For Lift & Tire Purchase

Well, I am preparing to buy new wheels and tires for my VX. I was planning to do this w/o a lift, but I decided to go with a lift since I need new shocks and springs anyway. I used to have a set of 22-inchers, and they really gave my suspension a beating—I’m bouncing pretty bad…

Anyway, after reading a lot of comments, I think I’m going to go with the Rancho RS900Xs and OME 912s. I found the Ranchos on http://www.independent4x.com for $85/shock and the OME 912s on www.rocky-road.com for $66.02/spring. Please let me know if there are better sites to search for pricing. Am I correct that this will give me an approximate 3” lift? Also, I think I read somewhere that the front torsion bars will need turned up about 2” or 6 turns. I am going to have the lift done by a 4x4 shop—is there any special instruction I should give them? Any basic prices for this job? Any other tips you can offer. I wasn’t sure if I should let them trim the cladding and beat the wheel wells or just do it myself (if needed).

As for wheels ‘n tires, I am leaning towards the Rock Crawler Series 87 16x8 (PART# PCW87-6883) found on www.4wheelparts.com for $74 w/ LT285/75R16/D BFG A/T KOs or possibly Mud Terrains. I was going to go with the American Racing Chamber w/ Teflon 16x8s, but they run about twice as much.

However, I’m curious if anyone can offer opinions on the Interco Super Swamper SSR tires. They seem to be quite cheaper than the BFGs—I really like the appearance of the Super Swampers, and the online reviews seem decent. I’m looking for the biggest tire possible with a 3” lift which seems to be 33” x 11”. Also considering the Nitto Terra Grappler LT285/75/R16s. I’ve got my cutting tools and hammers ready…!

Man, people are stepping up for the lift lately! Awesome. For the Rancho 9000's, if you can wait until June, Sam's Offroad is having a buy 3 get 1 free sale. I posted on this about a month ago and the link is in that thread. Rocky Road is the place to go for the 912's though. The amount of lift they give is about 2-1/2" which is great for a 32" tire. 33's might need more trimming than you are ready for - up to you and your wheels offset - but you might consider spring spacers with your springs or maybe the mounts Ascinder posted recently. I have done all my VX mods myself so I can't relate to pricing for other people working on it. The SSR's... I have heard good things too, but I am not sure how well they would do on the wet or even dry streets. Expect road noise, and the VX is not sound insulated as it is so I imagine you would hear them singing. Also, make sure you are not getting a bias ply - I don't think the SSR comes in bias but just verify before you buy.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Have you given any thought to the Wrangler MTR's?

Just call Sam's Offroad. CHEAP stuff! Only $72.50/shock for the Ranchos, with free shipping. I paid $290 for all four, delivered to my door. I couldn't wait until June!!! ;-)

800 446-5503

Or http://www.samsrancho.com

You'll thank me later...
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I'm probably considered an "odd duck" for doing business this way but...

I prefer to do business with/support smaller vendors that offer specialized bits for the VX & Isuzus in general...stuff that you can't get anywhere else.

I figure if I buy springs, shocks, etc. from them for a few dollars more, maybe they'll still be in business when I need that lower link, diff drop bracket, or whatchamacallit in the future.
    It's the same as supporting this site, maybe it'll be here for future reference.

I know...not the way of "the majority"...but I'm OK with that.

Do you think it's wise to replace the torsion bars as well? I am only asking as my suspension really did take a beating with my old 22inchers. I wasn't sure how to tell if the torsion bars need replaced...