Thread: New Muffler Ideas / Specs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow New Muffler Ideas / Specs?

Okay, it looks like PowerVault AND Morgan-Tec are out of the VX picture. It's sad, but we must move forward.

I'm considering 'moving forward' to a FlowMaster Extreme Off-Road Muffler, in the black diamond-plate steel. Perfect for an Ebony VX, no?

HOWEVER:

I know nothing about the technical aspects of mufflers. I know what the VX came with, stock...but how does that affect what we can or should do after-market? I mean, I can just buy a single 2.25" in / single 2.25 out model. But is there a benefit or drawback, HP-wise, to going with a larger single in, or a larger single out, or even a dual-out? Will it ruin the engine? Will it get amazingly better gas mileage? Will it do anything at all?

Also: does it matter if I get the single outlet centered or offset?

Thanks all!
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

The inlet size wil have no effect on the hp, or noise unlesss you increase the tubing in frnt of the muffler. The outlet is a different story. That will effect the sound level, hp, and tq. You can go to big and you will lose low end tq. But you an not really hurt the engine. You need an offset inlet to line up with the stock pipe. If you use a centered it will hit the frame and or the drive shaft.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

I've been using a Borla Turbo #40658 with a 3" Dynatech Vortex insert cone in the exhaust tip & like that combination.
    It's fairly quiet at idle & not raspy/ ricey sounding under hard acceleration, but still fairly loud.(I was able to pass the MN state db test last fall while wheeling @ Gilbert, MN OHV park.)
    I found the Borla muffler alone to be too loud for me, so I experimented with a Supertrapp tip for a while, but found that to be too quiet/restrictive & just plain didn't like the way it looked.
    The insert cone is perforated & took a bit of hammer work & more than a bit of foul language, to persuade it to take up residence in the tip...hope I never have to remove it.
    Last edited by Ldub : 02/22/2007 at 06:25 AM

How about this one?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Do you think it would be possible to find a matching exhaust tip?

In order to use the stock pipes you must get a in / out on the same side. I used a flowmaster 40 series it was the only one I could find the right combination in. shawn
    1COOLVX