Thread: New Muffler Ideas / Specs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    i found a 2.25 in 2.5 out muffler made for a monte carlo by dynomax... im thinkin about it, obviously ill need to change out the exhaust tip and pipes after the muffler.. anyone have thoughts on dynomax mufflers?its got hangers on it to fit under the monte carlo that ill probably need to chop off, but how would this new muffler be attached? or do the exhaust hangers on the pipes support the weight of it?
    If your installer has his poop in a group, he should be able to cut the hanger from the stock muffler & weld it to the new muffler. Or fab a new one to accomidate repositioning.

sweet.. thanks for the info guys.. i should probably be doing the install myself (assuming i can find a welder to use) ive got a good track record of doing modding myself so id like to keep it up.. only thing i didnt do on my vx myself is mount my tires

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    If your installer has his poop in a group, he should be able to cut the hanger from the stock muffler & weld it to the new muffler. Or fab a new one to accomidate repositioning.
    Yup. They can just re-use the original and tack it onto the new (Morgan-tec) muffler. The original has the rubber isolation too.

More pics, sound clips and info of my dual set-up with Morgan-tec muffler here:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=Morgan-tec

PHO2GR4
    so did you got your new muffler installed or not yet?

Arrow Install happening tomorrow (3/5)

By happy coincidence, the install is scheduled at Meineke at 7:30 am tomorrow. That's Monday, 3/5.

Damn, that's pretty early for me to be getting out of bed...

Incidentally, the Meineke branch I'm visiting has an auto detail shop RIGHT NEXT DOOR. So we can all expect some updated photos afterwards. This VX looks radically different from when I took delivery of it in December. And by 'different' I mean 'better'!

(I wanted to wait on the photos until I'd received the front skid plate from Ron/Rudy, but I've given up on that idea. I still can't get an email from him. I had no idea it would take two months or more to get a damn skid plate...)

(Oh well. I ordered it as a Christmas present to my VX. I guess I can use it as a NEXT Christmas present. No worries.)

Also, I took a short video...just for the audio...of my wimpy, wheezing stock muffler today. That way I'll be able to shoot some video/audio of the new Flowmaster tomorrow for comparison. I'll try to remember to do it AGAIN after a couple of months, to see if there's a break-in period for this muffler. If I can figure out how to upload the clips to my gallery, I'll let y'all know when they are available.
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Muffler = INSTALLED

Well, the muffler has been successfully installed, and I'm very happy with it. The VX now has a much deeper, throaty growl. And it must be my imagination, but the engine SEEMS to have at least a couple more horses now. (I know; wishful thinking.)

The carbon fiber exhaust tip loooks great too! Looks pretty stock next to the Ebony paint.

The throaty growl is so deep, though, that it is causing a loud rattle somewhere underneath. It isn't the muffler; I checked. It's coming from the front half of the undercarriage, and it sounds like it is on the passenger side.

Any ideas?

It was getting pretty dark by the time I got home, so I couldn't take a good look. When I'm out and about tomorrow maybe I'll take it back by Meineke and have them lift it up. Too dark for photos, too, so I'll get images (and sound) up as soon as possible.
    Last edited by PHO2GR4 : 03/05/2007 at 08:19 PM

PHO2GR4
    Sounds good cant wait to see some photos and hear some sounds lol
    P.S How much was installation and stuff?

Installation: $185.

Stuff: Muffler $100 (incl. shippping) Exhaust tip $30 (incl. shipping)

Throaty growl: Priceless

Can we get a sound clip/video?
    Ooh and the pictures!

I have a PV2 sitting here that I have yet to install. I don't know what I want to do?!?!

And yes, how much did the install set you back?
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Well, the muffler has been successfully installed, and I'm very happy with it. The VX now has a much deeper, throaty growl. And it must be my imagination, but the engine SEEMS to have at least a couple more horses now. (I know; wishful thinking.)

The carbon fiber exhaust tip loooks great too! Looks pretty stock next to the Ebony paint.

The throaty growl is so deep, though, that it is causing a loud rattle somewhere underneath. It isn't the muffler; I checked. It's coming from the front half of the undercarriage, and it sounds like it is on the passenger side.

Any ideas?

It was getting pretty dark by the time I got home, so I couldn't take a good look. When I'm out and about tomorrow maybe I'll take it back by Meineke and have them lift it up. Too dark for photos, too, so I'll get images (and sound) up as soon as possible.
    I had an anoying rattle underneath too (ya, ya, Insert "I'm surprised you could hear it..." joke here ). It turned out to be an O2 sensor. It was still working but something was loose inside it. I would suggest driving her up on blocks and pull out the rubber mallet to try and isolate...

Good luck.

as far as the rattling sound..could it be your heat shields that are on your exhaust pipes near your cats...mine broke off and were hanging on the pipes making a rattling sound...I just scrapped them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?