Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Muffler Ideas / Specs?

Talking Sound clips

Okay, here is my first attempt at uploading video and audio clips to this website. Please bear with me! I hope it works...

A couple of notes:

1) Stock muffler: self-explanatory. This is what a rusty old muffler sounds like on a 1999 Vehicross.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...o=8557&cat=500

2) Flowmaster muffler: This is the Off-Road Extreme model from Flowmaster. Ignore the turbine sound at the start...I didn't realize that a jet was flying overhead. Also, listen carefully at 19 seconds and again at just before 30 seconds, and you'll hear the obnoxious rattle. It only happens at one resonance frequency. I must track that down...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...php?photo=8558
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Thumbs up PS: Check out the tailpipe!

Also, look carefully at the videos and you'll see the difference between the tiny, rusty, downward-pointed stock tailpipe VS the new, improved, beefier, horizontally-mounted carbon-fiber exhaust tip.

Sah-WEEEET.

Sounds nice bro! I might have to check that muffler out!
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Killer

Cant wait to see more than just your rear.

sounds really nice.. whats the volume like?

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Mean !!!

Where's my damned bolt up dual kit? This is an outrage.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I am really considering this now. I think I want to go the cat-back dual route though. But that does sound nice. WOnder how much a cat-back would set me back?

sounds really nice. I got same question as etlsport how is the volume?

You will see many people turn their heads when you start it up in a parking lot. It sounds like you are starting up some big V8 and they have to look to see what it is. shawn.
    1COOLVX

I'm not going to lie: cabin noise levels are definitely higher. I knew that going in, of course. The VX sounds much meaner now...and after living with it for a couple of days, it DOES seem to have more HP. It gets up to speed sooner, and seems to 'coast' farther when I let up off the gas.

I'm going to have to try some sound-deadening material in the rear cabin. I wanted to do it anyway, but now I've got some real incentive! I'll try removing the rear seat and then really maxing out some RaamMat under the carpet and behind the side panels.

No regrets. I like the new sound.

Wow, that sounds so good.

Thats on my mod list... just need more money.

I had the VX lined up at a local tuner shop in 2 weeks for some "overhaulin" work done, and considered going dual since it was gonna be there for a while.... but I cancelled my appt. My priorities took a wild turn yesterday and I spent the money on some "other" stuff, heh. Guess I have to go back to the old saving up status again.

But that's ok.... I got a great deal on a Chen - Edo era katana and wakizashi. No complaints from me.

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Well, the muffler has been successfully installed, and I'm very happy with it. The VX now has a much deeper, throaty growl. And it must be my imagination, but the engine SEEMS to have at least a couple more horses now. (I know; wishful thinking.)

The carbon fiber exhaust tip loooks great too! Looks pretty stock next to the Ebony paint.

The throaty growl is so deep, though, that it is causing a loud rattle somewhere underneath. It isn't the muffler; I checked. It's coming from the front half of the undercarriage, and it sounds like it is on the passenger side.

Any ideas?

It was getting pretty dark by the time I got home, so I couldn't take a good look. When I'm out and about tomorrow maybe I'll take it back by Meineke and have them lift it up. Too dark for photos, too, so I'll get images (and sound) up as soon as possible.
    I had an anoying rattle underneath too (ya, ya, Insert "I'm surprised you could hear it..." joke here ). It turned out to be an O2 sensor. It was still working but something was loose inside it. I would suggest driving her up on blocks and pull out the rubber mallet to try and isolate...

Good luck.

as far as the rattling sound..could it be your heat shields that are on your exhaust pipes near your cats...mine broke off and were hanging on the pipes making a rattling sound...I just scrapped them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?