Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car Toys install = mixed results...

Talking Car Toys install = mixed results...now FIXED!

I just picked up my VX from the Car Toys branch on Broad Street in Seattle. I can tell that I'm going to be very pleased with my system, when it is 100% up and running.

For now, though, there are only two real problems:

1) When I scheduled the install, I pointed out where I wanted the rear-view camera to go. "It goes in here", I told the installer, as I showed him both the inside and the outside of the half-moon camera bay.

Imagine my dismay when I arrived today to find that all they'd done is drill a hole in the mounting plate to allow the camera wire to go through...and then they just stuck the camera + bracket to the OUTSIDE of the half-moon's mounting plate using two screws and some sticky-tape!

2) When I shut off the engine, I now get a slight shock if I'm touching the metal part of the key or the ignition slot. That's not right...

I called Car Toys when I got home, but the installer had already gone home for the day. The guy I spoke with first said "But that's just how they are mounted", and when I said "No, there's clearly a special rear-camera space in my VX". Then he claimed that there must have been "some miscommunication" on my part, to which I replied "Well, no, since I showed the inside AND the outside of the camera space to the salesman AND the installer..."

It sounds like they might just do it over, the proper way, if I take the VX back to them on Thursday. But he didn't sound 100%, and I wasn't very happy with their "customer service" especially since they advertise that "YOU MUST BE 100% SATISFIED".

Am I being picky? Should I be happy with a 1.5" cubical tumor on the outside of my rear hatch, and an electric shock every time I shut off my VX?
    Last edited by PHO2GR4 : 03/04/2007 at 12:32 PM
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Talking On a more POSITIVE note:

But there are definitely COOL things about this stereo upgrade, too:

Let's start off with a shout-out to my homies:

Shawn (Psychos2) made me a subwoofer enclosure for my 10" CDT Audio sub. It fits like a GLOVE (a really, really tight glove!) in the spare tire hatch. And it sounds FREAKIN' AWESOME now. I actually had to bring down the bass a bit from the installer's level, because at mid- to high-volumes, that sub pretty much blows out the windows.

As long as I never, ever get a flat tire, this rear-door sub enclosure is an extremely worthwhile mod. If any of you are 'on the fence' about it, just do it: contact Psychos2 and get him to build an enclosure for you.

Greg (Orion) hooked me up with a mint-condition Ford Taurus cup-holder/coin tray insert. It's now residing in the lower single-DIN CD changer space. It also fits like a glove, and it looks completely stock. I can confirm that standard Wild Cherry Pepsi cans fit in there...but nothing larger than a regular soda can!

I'm still testing the rest of the system, but it rocks like a mo fo. The rear camera WORKS, even if I don't like the camera mount job. The Kenwood DVD/stereo/GPS Navigation/Sirius Radio/iPod adapter all work perfectly, as far as I can tell. The retractable 7" monitor looks pretty damn close to a stock system, if the VX had come with one! It's a perfect height and size, and it is BRIGHT and sharp. (At night it automatically dims.)

So. Good stuff. Thanks again to Shawn and Greg for the assists!

PS: YES, photos are coming. It's dark and raining outside right now, plus I'd rather wait until the rear-camera tumor has been excised.

You're not being picky.
    They clearly were dumbasses when it came to passing along the install info.
    They could have even called you before they touched it if there was a misunderstanding.

Does the cup holder get in the way of the gear shifter at all?

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    i agree... you're not being picky at all...

I've heard their work is dubious at best - NATIONWIDE... and read several online reviews to the same tune...

when you take it back - hover over them like white on rice... shoot, if you have to go so far as to project manage them through the camera install - do it.

Or, there's always my favorite solution... Stand in the corner of the install bay and wield a knife crazily until the job's done right.

(...that visual always cracks me up... haha... adopted from Happy Time Harry of ATHF.)

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Thanks guys...I didn't THINK I was being picky, and considering what the whole package cost, I hope they'll agree that the camera should be installed differently.

Cyronman, the cup holder fits perfectly and doesn't get in the way of the gear shift at all. Again, I promise to add photos to my gallery when the fixes are made!

Any ideas on why the ignition is shocking me now?!?

can we take pictures of the botched install job?

This is why I am afraid to anything other than my own work. No matter what, NO ONE cares as much as YOU.

Bart

Angry

But...but...they seemed to care BEFORE I'd given them any money!!!

I've been cruising around a bit today, and the new system sounds very, very nice. I am definitely impressed. It amazes me how much better the VX can sound with some simple changes!

Adding a good subwoofer with a decent amp, and then routing all of the low-end to it, seems to free up the stock speakers to do a better job handling the mids and highs.

The extra power makes the music clearer...not just louder...although the loudness is a fringe benefit!

Bottom line, I'm very happy with the new stereo. And if they fix the rear-camera mount, I'll be even happier.

PS: SNOW in Seattle today.

Eric, for sure the sub make a heck of a difference. The O.E.M. speakers ain't that bad like you said once you take the low's away from them, good enought for my old ear's anyway. I do hope that Car Toy's makes it right for you and if not, let them know there around 2300 Vehicross.info members that read this page and will be happy to take all of their business to a non car toy shop.

I've only known one person who went to Car Toys (in Tacoma). They charged him nearly $1000 for a custom fiberglass sub box, a single mediocre 10" sub and amp (I don't recall the brand). Since then I've always avoided them.

Darn right you should be upset. You told them how you wanted your camera mounted and they screwed it up. You get a jolt every time you touch the ignition. That's not normal! They should fix it, at their own expense, and smile while doing it. Don't let them forget how rare and well maintained your vehicle is.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpaske
    Don't let them forget how rare and well maintained your vehicle is.
    Excellent point!!! Anybody who comes in close contact or will be touching my VX gets the winded lecture. Sometimes twice, just to get the point across...

-biju.

PHO2GR4, THANKS !!!! Can't wait to see pics. shawn
    1COOLVX

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    PS: YES, photos are coming. It's dark and raining outside right now, plus I'd rather wait until the rear-camera tumor has been excised.
    I like progress pics. See were its been, were its going and were it is...

To quote another thread you said you were waiting for the skidplate

To quote Rons email to me "If you get the impression that my products take a while, it's because they may be big parts (skidplates especially) which require agonizing attention to detail and I do ALL of the fabricating when I can spare the time. My spare time IS limited and when I do have it, I work on finishing other peoples orders as quickly as humanly possible without compromising the quality that I would expect in any part."

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    I like progress pics. See were its been, were its going and were it is...

To quote another thread you said you were waiting for the skidplate

To quote Rons email to me "If you get the impression that my products take a while, it's because they may be big parts (skidplates especially) which require agonizing attention to detail and I do ALL of the fabricating when I can spare the time. My spare time IS limited and when I do have it, I work on finishing other peoples orders as quickly as humanly possible without compromising the quality that I would expect in any part."
    Okay, I'll get off my Duff Beer and take some interim photos.

I'm glad that Ron sent an email to you! It would be nice if he sent one to ME, but I don't want to bug him because I would rather have him finishing the skid plate than composing emails, if his time is so tight.

Quote Originally Posted by biju
    ...Anybody who comes in close contact or will be touching my VX gets the winded lecture. Sometimes twice...

-biju.

HaHa, true!