Thread: Replacement Headlights

Replacement Headlights

Yesterday my driver's side headlight went out. Just wondering what brands and styles work best for you all that have changed yours? Open to suggestions. Let me know what you all think is best.

Well, depends what you have. If it is the standard H4, you just need the one bulb. (ever change one before?) I like the Sylvania Silver Star, it's white instead of the yellow of the standard bulb. If you have a Wallmart handy, you can buy them in packs of 2 cheaper then singles in a auto store and you would have to buy a pair if your going to step up to these. They are worth the money. Now, thats not to say they are the only ones out there, but they are readily available and if you do any night driving, you will thank yourself for spending the money. Just remember to wipe them down and don't touch them with your fingers. The oil from them will cause hot spots and burn them out quicker

So SilverStars are what you like? Yes I have changed a headlight before just yet on the VX. Also what do you mean by wipe down?

Plus, everyone else fill in with what you use or suggest.

JHarris, on extra-bright (extra-hot) bulbs...especially halogen bulbs...you do NOT want to touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers. Gloves are okay, and you can hold it with a paper towel or something. But NO finger oil should get on the glass!

Even a tiny smudge can cause a heat buildup which will either shorten the life of the bulb OR burn it out right away.
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Sorry, couldn't think how to spell it, but now she who must be obeyed is here and she knows how to spell. Wipe the bulbs, (the glass) down with Isopropyl Alcohol

Cool. I know not to touch the bulbs. Its all over the packaging too. Never knew about the alcohol rub down. But will do that tomorrow. If I dont hear anything else or do not see a sale that catches my eye I will stick with the silver stars. I think I have some bright white GE's? in my last cur. I know I have blue tinted for a bit and then switched to the bright white, but can not remember the names.

Thanks,
    John

I first installed Silver Stars when I got my VX; great improvement over the stock bulbs.

But I now have some 4800K bulbs that I got from Tone; even better than the Silver Stars. There are the closest thing I have seen to HID's without the extra cost.

Henry

Henry, thanks for that tip. Are they white or do they lean towards the yellow or blue

Oh yeah forgot about those. Arent they only around $30?
    Also can you just plug-n-play them or do you need higher heat resistant housing for them?

The bulbs from Tone are around $35.00 per pair. They are very white with a tint of blue. The little plastic box they are packed in says "Metal White Blue". The glass envelope is a nice blue color.

Yes, they are "plug and play". After about 4 months of use, there are no signs of overheating inside the headlight housing.

I have considered upgrading the wiring to use a relay to switch a direct conection to the battery. This would increase the brightness a little which would then increase the heat inside the housing. Maybe someone else has done this and can comment.

Henry

Henry, for sure I will follow this thread and your question about the larger wiring. I know ipd offered a kit for the Volvos that did just that, but they didn't seem to have a concern about more heat and they are a pretty conscientious group of people

Where do you order those bulbs? I did not see them on tonemonday.com

Contact Tone directly via PM or email. I got the last set he had in stock back in November when I was in Austin. He may have more now.

Henry