Thread: HELP! My VX wont come out of park.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HELP! My VX wont come out of park.

Help, My truck will not come out of park.
    It was towed the other night but i'm told it was on a flat bed. Does anyone have any ideas what the cause of this may be?

One thing to note, it looks like some kind of syrupy, fruit smelling something, maybe a slushie, was spilled on the shifter column by the tow truck driver.

I don't know how that could affect it though. Anyone, please?
    Last edited by smorris65 : 03/26/2007 at 09:00 PM Reason: adding txt

Check the brake fuse. Often times, when that goes it prohibits the brake-park interlock from functioning. Verify brake fuses are good and go from there.
    Take care,
    Keith
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Brake lights come on, so don't think it's the fuse. I did replace the front brake pads on Saturday so thought of the fuse and fluid level, which is also OK. was towed on Sunday. (You don't want to know). And I drove all day today. I am thinking PCM. Anyone familiar with that? Like I said, the tow driver appears to have spilled the cool aide on the shifter console.

The system for that does not involve the pcm.When you push the brake pedal do you here a noise down by your feet? There is a switch that works off the brake pedal and uses a cable to release the shifter. This is most likely the problem. shawn
    1COOLVX

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    If there's a slushie down there, it could easily have bound up that cable with sticky residue.

Good luck!

Very familiar with the brake pedal switch from another vehicle.
    I didn't hear anything when I pushed doen on the brake, but the light's do come on. Today someone mentioned one of my tail lights was out but i don't think that would have anything to do with this. Does that brake switch aslo unlock the shifter from the park position. It is possible the brake switch is bad but appears to be working fine.

I was told there is a manual over ride under the shifter cover. Has anyone ever used that before?

My VX gets stuck in Park all the time, all I know is:
    When you park it, if you have trouble getting it in to Park don't force it, that's how mine gets stuck in P. If you have trouble getting in in park, just try another gear like reverse let it roll back and gently try Park again...this has kept mine from getting stuck in Park for months.
    The only way I ever found to get it unstuck from Park was to gently keep fiddling with it, with the brake pressed down...one time it took me hours.
    My problem is a result from an accident when my chest was forced in to the gear shift and it hasn't been the same since...but I have learned to deal sucessfully.
    I think the tow driver was rough with it...

My truck will not come out of park

I have a solution for that one. Atleast how I got it fixed. My problem was the magnet that releases the shiftlever and allows it to get out of park. Take the entire plastic around the shiftlever and roll the leather up. find the magent that allow the shift level clip angage when you press on the brake pedal. now CLEAN IT HECK OUT of it. and viola! Thats happened to me three weeks after I spilled a SUPER GULP into my center console. The soda dries out and makes the magnet sticky not releasing the machanism when you press on the break pedal. I hope this helps. I think it took me about 30 minutes to all the work.

you could always cover it up to prevent that kinda stuff from happening in the future!
    Last edited by etlsport : 04/09/2007 at 05:47 PM

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Or only let diet soda in the cabin. That's probably my favorite thing about diet soda is that when it spills - there is no stickiness at all. Aside from stains, it might as well just be water.

Quote Originally Posted by WyrreJ
    Or only let diet soda in the cabin.
    If I was forced to drink diet soda, I think there would be something more damaging than soda spewed on my interior...
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379