Thread: OMG My Gas Mileage!!! General Question Need Everyones Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OMG My Gas Mileage!!! General Question Need Everyones Help

My vehicross has a pretty much stock exhaust and engine with a powergem intake(just a step up from stock nothing major yet) i only get about 225 mileage on a whole tank of gas. basically 10 miles to the gal. Its killing me. anyone have any tips on how to get this up so i get more mpg i see other vx owners getting 300 up to 450 how the heck is that possible any and all help much appreciated or it might go up for sale. Thanks

Do a search on here.

No worries Lizardmen, I'm not that much better and I have ZERO power mods to the VX. I get basically 16-17 mpg, if I get 18 I'm thrilled. I have no dreams of getting 20 or above. I don't know how some of these other guys do it. Yes, I use constant throttle pressure, very limited brake action, always in 4th when I can help it, rarely goose it around traffic and my mileage still stinks. Oh well, I knew gas mileage was one of the faults with the VX. At least we get to use regular gas!
    The only thing I can think of in your case is to make sure the tire pressures are good, if one is really bad or more than one are kind of bad, that would be a cheap and quick fix to your problem. Especially given the large size of these tires. Good luck!

u get 16-17 i barely get 10 my pressure is right on at all times my tires r 285 60 r18. i havent a clue. i no it can get better maybe ill add a new duel exhaust and better intake any one have duel exhaust that is happy with wut kind should i get. i also change oil every 3k i use hile mileage and synthectic and all that good stuff.

seafoam gas tank, oil, through pcv. check spark plugs, o2 sensors, injectors. Clean egr, throttle body. Change fuel filter, drain a little from the bottom of your gas tank.

Check your brakes maybe they are not releasing completely,check egr valve it could need to be cleaned or replaced and check your intake gaskets.Just had my intake gaskets replaced and all my problems went away,bad mileage,bad idol,exaust smelled rich.

i think the 18" vs 16" wheels have a lot to do with it. i bet most of the guys with the higher mileage are running 16's with stock tire size.

your 285 60 18's (i run the same size) are heavier than the stock 245 60 16's AND considerably taller. remember the profile number (60) is not a direct measurement, it's a ratio that depends on the width.

i think the speedo is off by 6% with my terra grapplers of the same size. and most of the extra weight is now located further from the center of the wheel, which requires much more enegy to rotate.

16mpg combined on stock 16s with a pv muffler.....

Smile Hmmm...

I get about 400 miles per tank. I change the oil every 3k and I only use Cheveron 91 octane. every other brand makes my engine sound funny. But that is about all I do. Mine is totally stock. all my mods are on the inside. Oh I keep it really clean too...so that might help with gas mileage...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN
    I get about 400 miles per tank. I change the oil every 3k and I only use Cheveron 91 octane. every other brand makes my engine sound funny. But that is about all I do. Mine is totally stock. all my mods are on the inside. Oh I keep it really clean too...so that might help with gas mileage...lol...
    Then you go to Moab, and want skidplates/lift/bigger tires... there goes the gas mileage!!!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Hey lizard, I have my shoes on right now so can't do the math. But I have 285's too and it is a increase of 6%. So, what ever 6% is of 225 added is still crap,... but, ....well,.... I guess we didn't buy our beloved VX's for the MPG. Of course I CAN SAY THAT since my commute is 6 miles one way to work. If we go anywhere, we take 'she who must be obayed' new Suzuki Grand Vitara. Totally boring but I didn't buy it or drive it, I just wash it, put on very dark sunglasses and read a book while she drives.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Wink

Just filled my tank up yesterday and she did 17.5 mpg with mixed driving. I didn't compensate for slightly bigger tires (stocks are 29.6 in. diameter and my Revo's are something like 30.2 in. diameter IF I remember correctly.) I am Supercharged with cold-air intake plus K&N cone filter and am running Mobil 1 Synthetic lubricants for everything.

If your mileage is much worse..as mentioned in previous post...check your brakes (especially rears) to make sure your caliper sliders are releasing properly, which would show up as uneven pad wear if they are not.

I had starting issues a few years back and changed out my Fuel Pressure Regulator which resulted in much better mileage too.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 05/23/2007 at 08:39 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

just another mpg figure for people to reference:

my scanguage II lists my average mpg at 16.5.

the speed has been gps calibrated and my "miles till empty" is accurately calibrated to within a mile (+or-). so i assume 16.5 mpg is accurate.

daily commute includes 80 miles of highway driving and 10-15 miles of city.

edit: stock tires and a/c on low 25% of my drive time (guestimation)

edit: edit: i began using cruise control for my 80 mile rt commute and have increased my milage to 17.6. It doesnt sound like a lot, but it's another 20 miles a tank....
    Last edited by kelvin : 05/25/2007 at 08:26 AM

I had great results with Marvel Mystery Oil recently. I was going to put some in the crankcase and the fuel tank but used it all in the fuel tank over a couple of tank fills instead. It increased my mileage while towing. I got 225 miles per 20 gallons on the first two legs while the oil did it's job. After that, I got over 300 miles per 20 gallons... towing!

Disclaimer: No tire or gear changes were taken into account while estimating for this post. I suck at math.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

gas mileage improvement

Has anyone ever heard of putting 2oz. 100% Pure Acetone to 10 gallons of gas into their Vehicross or any other vehicle to boost the mileage?Here's a site to read intohttp://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...900069_Acetone)