Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OMG My Gas Mileage!!! General Question Need Everyones Help

Exclamation

You'll need to use something like the miata garage tire calculator if you have changed tire size to see what percentage your speedo is off and then you can set the ScanGauge to take that percentage into it's calculations. I use MPH display of the SG on the dash of the '55 since I've gone to a taller tire. Keep the air pressure at max in the tires and drive conservatively but it is what it is and if you need MPG, this the WRONG vehicle.

BTW, stock tires are almost identical height/diameter on the 16" and 18". Come on guys, don't post INCORRECT information, it just confuses the newbies. Now the 18" rims could be heavier but I would not expect more than a few pounds - anybody have those specs? And if so, that would be more of an onroad handling issue when pushed.

1999 245/70/16 Diameter 29.5", 6.8" sidewall height (comfortable)
    2000/01 245/60/18 Dia. 29.6", 5.8" sidewall height (less flex)

And yes, the wheels are interchangeable between ALL years.
    Last edited by Tone : 04/12/2007 at 09:31 AM

Hey Lizard, did you ever get your gas mileage back up?

I am sufferin too. I get max avg 14mpg.
    Im about to make a post about it though cuase of me CEL code.

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN
    I get about 400 miles per tank. I change the oil every 3k and I only use Cheveron 91 octane. every other brand makes my engine sound funny. But that is about all I do. Mine is totally stock. all my mods are on the inside. Oh I keep it really clean too...so that might help with gas mileage...lol...
    Then you go to Moab, and want skidplates/lift/bigger tires... there goes the gas mileage!!!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Hey lizard, I have my shoes on right now so can't do the math. But I have 285's too and it is a increase of 6%. So, what ever 6% is of 225 added is still crap,... but, ....well,.... I guess we didn't buy our beloved VX's for the MPG. Of course I CAN SAY THAT since my commute is 6 miles one way to work. If we go anywhere, we take 'she who must be obayed' new Suzuki Grand Vitara. Totally boring but I didn't buy it or drive it, I just wash it, put on very dark sunglasses and read a book while she drives.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Wink

Just filled my tank up yesterday and she did 17.5 mpg with mixed driving. I didn't compensate for slightly bigger tires (stocks are 29.6 in. diameter and my Revo's are something like 30.2 in. diameter IF I remember correctly.) I am Supercharged with cold-air intake plus K&N cone filter and am running Mobil 1 Synthetic lubricants for everything.

If your mileage is much worse..as mentioned in previous post...check your brakes (especially rears) to make sure your caliper sliders are releasing properly, which would show up as uneven pad wear if they are not.

I had starting issues a few years back and changed out my Fuel Pressure Regulator which resulted in much better mileage too.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 05/23/2007 at 08:39 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

just another mpg figure for people to reference:

my scanguage II lists my average mpg at 16.5.

the speed has been gps calibrated and my "miles till empty" is accurately calibrated to within a mile (+or-). so i assume 16.5 mpg is accurate.

daily commute includes 80 miles of highway driving and 10-15 miles of city.

edit: stock tires and a/c on low 25% of my drive time (guestimation)

edit: edit: i began using cruise control for my 80 mile rt commute and have increased my milage to 17.6. It doesnt sound like a lot, but it's another 20 miles a tank....
    Last edited by kelvin : 05/25/2007 at 08:26 AM

I had great results with Marvel Mystery Oil recently. I was going to put some in the crankcase and the fuel tank but used it all in the fuel tank over a couple of tank fills instead. It increased my mileage while towing. I got 225 miles per 20 gallons on the first two legs while the oil did it's job. After that, I got over 300 miles per 20 gallons... towing!

Disclaimer: No tire or gear changes were taken into account while estimating for this post. I suck at math.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

gas mileage improvement

Has anyone ever heard of putting 2oz. 100% Pure Acetone to 10 gallons of gas into their Vehicross or any other vehicle to boost the mileage?Here's a site to read intohttp://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...900069_Acetone)

Zues: what is this MMO you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385
    Zeus: what is this MMO you speak of?
    Well, duh, it's a marvelous mystery! Nah, forget "3-in-1 oil"... I have used Marvel in the past in my air tools for lubrication, vehicles that have sat for a while - top cylinder lubrication, and crankcase additive. I think this was the first time I put it in the fuel tank though. It is great stuff, you can even use it as a gun cleaner and on thread taps! I am thinking that adding a shot of Marvel in the oil and in the fuel system, and then later, using the sea foam treatment, changing the oil, and then using the Marvel indefinitely will help prevent that sludge induced 3.5L failure from occurring. I get it at Napa, but I think all auto parts houses carry it.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

I have had an increase in MPG but only cause i got new rims and tires. I bought me some nice new 22's. I get bout 13-14MPG. guess thats as good as im gonna get until i put my bigger dual exhaust on.

I've gone from about 15.5Mpg to about 17Mpg over the last 3 tanks. I asked they guy at the un-service station (Chevron) what they have been puttin in there and he said that they quit using the Ethinol for the winter. Most people see a mile or two mpg increase without it. He said that some stations use it year around, so I should check before buying if I like higher mileage.
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

Wink

Just came back from visiting family on Memorial Day and wanted to experiment on total max. highway mileage. I topped off at the interstate and drove 135.2 miles with cruise set at 61 mph 'cause my slightly larger tires seem to throw the speedometer off by 5 mph....so I should've been traveling 65/66 mph, which seemed right with the traffic in the slow lane.

The VX consumed 5.884 gallons of premium (I have SC) after traveling 135.2 miles. Therefore, drumroll..........I got 22.97 mpg! This is inline with what I got on my trip to a VX meet 2 years ago from PA to Vermont running with cruise on @ 65 mph.

*I also cleaned my K&N cone filter on Friday and let it dry overnight; then re-oiled it on Saturday. She definately felt zippier!
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 05/30/2007 at 08:14 PM

Normal island style driving I'm getting 14.2 mpg.
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.