Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Headliner removal

Headliner removal

Hey,

So I ordered one of Tone's scan guages. I am thinking I would like to build a small custom angled box for it and mount it to the headliner.

So I am thinking this is possible, but how difficult and how much work is it to get the headliner off, and drivers side A-pillar trim so I could mount it there and run the cable down.

Anyone ever do something like this?

Is this even worth the effort?

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

A pillar comes off with gentle prying, starting at the top.

Once you decide on loca., make a small hole in the headliner & snake a wire hanger over to your wire.
    Tape the wire to the end of the hanger, pull it out through the hole.

Hmmm, that would be an option, but I was hoping to get a piece of ABS or aluminium under the headliner to bolt to, thus creating a tighter fit. I guess I will have to see how things will fit once I get the guage. Perhaps I could get a way with your idea....

Thanks-

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    A pillar comes off with gentle prying, starting at the top.

Once you decide on loca., make a small hole in the headliner & snake a wire hanger over to your wire.
    Tape the wire to the end of the hanger, pull it out through the hole.

you can get the front of the headliner down very easily.. remove the visors with a couple of screws (i forget how many) the" OH @#$#" handles with 2 screws (one on each side of the handle) i think you may also need to pull the weather stripping down off the door, which is also easy to pull out and push back in, then you can gently pull down on the front of it and it comes down pretty easy.. just dont pull too far or hard or you will crease it behind your seats

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

mount

to mount my ddc controller i did the following:

• remove driver/passenger 'oh-sh*t' handles
    • remove weather stripping just past a-pillar
    • remove a pillars (they just snap off)
    • remove sunvisors
    • remove sunvisor 'snap bar' plastic piece (it just snaps off after the screw is removed. just pull straight down with some force)

this allows you to pull the front part of the headliner down to mount to, etc.

best of luck, bart!

-bij

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Cool, danke everyone!

Bart

to remove the A pillars... pull from the top straight across the windshield... then lift up towards the OH @$%! handle (theres a plastic hook at the bottom of the a pillar that gets all messed up if you just yank it out along the windshield)

Cool, yeah, I definitely don't want to snap any fasteners or anything...

Thanks,

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    to remove the A pillars... pull from the top straight across the windshield... then lift up towards the OH @$%! handle (theres a plastic hook at the bottom of the a pillar that gets all messed up if you just yank it out along the windshield)

insert .02. Just went out to my beloved VX to check this out. Something else you might think about doing is this. (Did you read my thread awhile back about the door handle repair? There is a reference to a 'Bone Tool' sold by ipdusa dot com, 5 bucks, but it you happen to have some hard plastic laying around you could make one). Anyway, using the bone tool, you could work the cable into the the leading edge of the head liner then run the cable down under the rubber seal between the A-pillar and door right down to the side of the dash and underneath to the OBD plug. This might be a way to prevent breaking anything in the A pillar cover. When I installed the map lights in place of the useless rear view mirror, I was able to pull the headliner leading edge down to feed the mirror map light wiring thru to the aircraft style lights that I installed. Pictures are in my gallery. Just another thought Bart.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Cool, thanks!

I will need to update my website with my recent mods soon! I hope to have it all done before Moab!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard
    insert .02. Just went out to my beloved VX to check this out. Something else you might think about doing is this. (Did you read my thread awhile back about the door handle repair? There is a reference to a 'Bone Tool' sold by ipdusa dot com, 5 bucks, but it you happen to have some hard plastic laying around you could make one). Anyway, using the bone tool, you could work the cable into the the leading edge of the head liner then run the cable down under the rubber seal between the A-pillar and door right down to the side of the dash and underneath to the OBD plug. This might be a way to prevent breaking anything in the A pillar cover. When I installed the map lights in place of the useless rear view mirror, I was able to pull the headliner leading edge down to feed the mirror map light wiring thru to the aircraft style lights that I installed. Pictures are in my gallery. Just another thought Bart.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    I hope to have it all done before Moab!
    ...you're in gooooood company, mang.

-biju.

My $0.02 too.
    In place of mechanical fastening, you might consider heavy duty velcro. It's a light piece of hardware, especially if your mount box is also plastic.

Thanks again fellas!

Bart

Hey bart, is your top audio hole filled? this is what I did with my scan gauge - John

There it goes again, only a thumbnail photo. wish I could figure this out. anyway, there is a big picture in my gallery, 'get the big picture now'