Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A visit to Mod heaven

Talking A visit to Mod heaven

So, the VX has been down for several weeks while I tore out the front end to get at the differential drop brackets to lift it. Long story short, a lot got done to the VX, like:

2" extended diff drop brackets
    1.5" drop brackets for forward frame cross-member(under forward driveshaft)
    New inner bearings and seals
    Mecatech CV boots
    Brand new upper and lower ball joints
    Ball joint flip
    Independent4x brake lines
    Brake caliper speed bleeders
    Energy suspension polyurethane low profile bump stops
    Energy suspension polyurethane tie rod dust boots
    Custom made 1 1/4" Powder coated 4340 Hex tie rods w/grease-able rod ends
    Energy suspension grease-able sway-bar bushings
    Re-indexed front suspension to 4" of lift
    Installed Nitrided steel spring jacks in the rear for 4" of lift
    Energy suspension polyurethane coil spring isolators
    4 Mega 835 20" rims
    4 Nitto 285 55 R20 Nitto Dune Grapplers
    Aisin Locking front hubs
    Brakes flushed and filled with ATE Super blue brake fluid
    Front and rear differentials changes to Mobil 1 full synthetic
    Oil changed to Mobil 1 synthetic
    All bearings/bushings lubed with Red Line CV-2 synthetic grease
    All brake parts and ball joints painted with Hi-temp red ceramic paint

Here's some pics, Sorry about the bad lighting, but it's overcast outside. The guys at the alignment shop said their machine can't hook up to that rim size with the Nittos because the bead is too tight. So tomorrow, I get to take these of, put the old ones back, have it aligned, then put these back on. So far though the ride is nice and smooth. I love being up high, and man, I thought people looked before, but now I think I might cause an accident or two.
    Last edited by Ascinder : 04/21/2007 at 06:11 PM
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Awsome Avitar! Have I had my eyes closed or did that just appear?

Oh, and your VX sounds like it'll be great, but Hey, no pictures yet, so...
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

Thumbs up

Cool can't wait to see the pics. Edit... Looks Great!

Do you have the part numbers and imformation for...
    Energy suspension polyurethane low profile bump stops
    Energy suspension polyurethane tie rod dust boots
    Energy suspension polyurethane coil spring isolators

-Dave
    Last edited by Cyrk : 04/21/2007 at 07:12 PM

Hey Cyrk, the part #s are

Low profile bump stops: ENS-9-9102R

Ultra Low profile bump stops:ENS-9-9132R (I didn't use these, but probably should have due to the increased lift)

The coil spring isolators are ENS-9-6101G but unless you plan on using the type of rear lift I did, or want to replace the factory coil spring isolators I don't think you'll need them.

I don't have the part numbers on hand for the tie rod dust boots, but they are fairly universal and can be found on the Energy Suspension website. You wouldn't really use these anyways unless you have Heavy duty tie rods, since the OEM tie rod ends are sealed units.

Also, for those who might not know, the R or G at the end of the part numbers denotes R(red) or G(black).

Cool

Looks great! Did you change out the shocks as well? If so to what?

Looks good but you need bigger tires :_drool:
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    That's impressive!!!. Congratulations.

Love the look of the Dunes on the black rims. i hope to see your ride in person some day... extremely clean.

i'm a little green tonight.

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Maniacal!!! Awesome!
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock

Sweet! Now, NO EXCUSES! When are we meeting up? And BTW, where the heck has Clint been? I'll have to PM him.

Bart

And BTW, where the heck has Clint been? I'll have to PM him.
    I was about to ask you the same thing!!! I haven't seen CrnCnn around lately either. The VX is back at Tires Pls this morning getting aligned with the stock wheels, then I have to throw the Dunes back on(30 minutes). After that I'm good to meet up anytime. I'm thinking Big Pig BBQ, but wherever is fine. During the week I have all day, everyday since I work very early in the morning. I am almost thinking of dropping it down a little because at the present height, I think the wheel well clearance is a little big, but the only plus side is that I have had trim barely any cladding at all, maybe around 1/8 of an inch because it rubbed when I was turning and going up a curb.

Looks great! Did you change out the shocks as well? If so to what?
    No shock changes, which on the rear I am slightly worried about. I am going to try and fab up some aluminum extensions for the rears, and some steel post extensions on the fronts. I had purchased some front post extensions, but they were the wrong thread pitch. I ahven't been able to find any of the correct pitch yet. I like the stock shocks, and I think there was a post I read awhile back about a way to rebuild them, or a shop that could, so I may look into that when the time comes.

I am here fellas,

Been workin a LOT. I found a road that takes you from the VC highlands all the way to Lockwood. I don’t know how bad the road is the whole way, I only went about 2 miles and felt that I should turn around cause my cell didn’t work and i was all alone. Being inexperienced in off roading i felt uncomfortable.

Well, I have a GPS now, and my full sized spare should be here Monday so I will be as good as I am gonna get for off-roading.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    I am here fellas,

Been workin a LOT. I found a road that takes you from the VC highlands all the way to Lockwood. I don’t know how bad the road is the whole way, I only went about 2 miles and felt that I should turn around cause my cell didn’t work and i was all alone. Being inexperienced in off roading i felt uncomfortable.

Well I mapped it so I know it will take us all the way, i just dont know what condition the road is in.

In effor to not completely jack Ascinder's thread, I will start a new Reno meet up thread.

Mods look sweet, Ascinder!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    Well I mapped it so I know it will take us all the way, i just dont know what condition the road is in.

Here's an update, as some members were wondering how this lift went for me. So far mostly nothing to complain about that was not already expected. The ride compared to stock is very slightly rougher because of the tires. The cladding only ended up having to be trimmed less than 1/4" on each front fenderwell, although it does occasionally rub when I have the wheels turned and hit a bump. I didn't have to do any hammering whatsoever to the back of the fenderwells, which I am very happy about. I do sit about 6" higher including the height from the wheels which feels completely weird at first but is easy to get used to. Handling is surprisingly the same compared to stock, and I am able to take corners as fast as a stock rig without dipping or rolling. Acceleration is a little more sluggish now, as was expected, but not too bad. The only thing I would change if I were to do it again would be using ultra-low poly bump stops up front for some added clearance. The front differential drop brackets are holding up superbly and when we took it for a little wheeling this weekend, they were solid. The rear spring jacks worked out extremely well and are totally silent. After several weeks of having them in, they haven't moved and have worked flawlessly. Now the bad part. When we went out wheeling this weekend, nfpsgaskmask, CrnCnn and I were looking at my handwork and we noticed some grease around the inner drivers side CV boot . This was before we had even hit the trail. After the day was over and I got back home, I cleaned the boot off and couldn't find any tears. But when I squeezed the boot, I ended up finding some kind of tiny puncture that looked like someone had poked the boot through with a needle or tack. I don't know how something like that could have occurred, I though it might be a manufacturing defect since it was very close to the boots' mold seam, and the Mecatech boots are thinner than stock boots, but whatever the case, I will try to seal it up instead of pulling everything apart and replacing it offhand. That is the only gripe to state so far, all in all I am extremely happy with the lift.