Thread: Speedo Cluster Failure

Unhappy Speedo Cluster Failure

Just wondering if anyone knows why my RPM's, MPH, Gas, Temp, Odometer, and Trip would all of a sudden just stop working. Is there a fuse that may have gone out? I have not had problems with this in the past it was all of a sudden when I went to check my speed on the highway and then I was like wow I feel like I am going faster than 0mph and the engine sure is on but the cluster doesn't say so. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

There are gauge fuses in the panel next to your left knee. If it's not a fuse, then see if a harness plug came unplugged in the back of your speedo cluster.

If not those two, I'd try out a Scangauge to see if a speed, rpm, etc.. signal is available and is being sent. If no signal is found, then uh-oh... I hate to think.

Good Luck.

Found the "gauge" fuse in the fuse box it sure is blown and putting in another one immediately blows it so, looks like I will be tearing apart the dash yet again.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Must be all those 'new bulbs' that look so good.....sorry to hear about the problem
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast
    Found the "gauge" fuse in the fuse box it sure is blown and putting in another one immediately blows it so, looks like I will be tearing apart the dash yet again.
    I had a blown fuse in there too after ripping the cluster out a few times. Take a look for something hitting the bare copper lines along the back of the cluster - or look for a few scorch marks on the copper lines (a have a few of those from placing the cluster with the ignition on ...).

I'd undo the screws and then pull out the cluster a bit first without unplugging anything and then try a new fuse - it could rule out that something back there is pushing against a bare copper lead...

Good Luck.