Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Upgrade?????

Turbo Upgrade?????

Has anyone ever thought of doin a turbo upgrade???????
    Is it even possiable???

I have heard of several proposals to do this, especially doing it remotely, but the issues of spool up time due to that increased distance, and the placement regarding heat would be potential issues. You should really do a search, because I am sure I ran over this topic several times when I was first thinking of upgrades. I am fairly certain the general consensus was that supercharging made more sense in many applications. I don't recall anyone ever actually coming out and saying that they had done this mod, so you may be the first. Good luck!!!
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Do a search on the "Moon Buggy". It was turbo'd although it lost a lot of ground clearance (and in my opinion...UGLY).
    Anything is possible if you have the $$$$$$.
    Alpine supercharger is available, tried, and tested.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I'm with Billy...one strange lookin' VX. But, to each his own...here are a few pics of the Moon Craft VX.

Last edited by Ldub : 04/30/2007 at 03:53 PM

I'm looking at dual-turbos for the Rally VX, but it would be a major mod for a street ride as engine management will be handled by an aftermarket unit like Megasquirt. In either case, like most of my other projects the timetable is "out there".
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Wow. I don't even remember that one. What a loooong way to go. Does this one still exist?

what kind of turbo kit is that???

It can play Jay Leno (or Duddly Doright) in the next cars cartoon

i have always wondered. is it possible you can put a turbo and supercharge in the same vehical? Cuz i have never seen any vehical with both on, just wondering if it's possible.

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

I have no idea what kind of turbo that is & don't know if it is still in existence.

IIRC, it was conceived & owned by a Japanese gentleman with the "more money than God" option.

looks like it have is mouth open with big bugs bunny teath. , it looks pretty sweet to me. but again I will always say this and never change my mind, VX= Rally, only.

Quote Originally Posted by CostieCosta
    but again I will always say this and never change my mind, VX= Rally, only.
    Don't lose sight of the fact that a mind is like a parachute...it works best when open.

They could've saved a lot of tubing/lag time by mounting the air filter on the turbo itself underneath the truck. I'm sure most of you've seen the STS turbo's running around. Similar set up and performance numbers are supposed to be pretty good.

My friend and I have been toying with the idea. He has a spare turbo from his 89 RX-7. We were thinking of trying to fab up something silly over the summer when school isn't too hectic. Thought it is pretty unlikely.

I hate to say it, but our 3.5 V6 with it's body weight utilizing a turbo isnt worth the money. The boost lag involved with the turbo spooling up is going to be extended before you actually feel any power unless you decide to do some MAJOR modding. To get it to work right with the VX, you are looking at trully customising the vehicle. Lighter panels and whatever else you can throw out, complete header/turboback exhaust system (catless), complete street tune (our computer is not very friendly with custom tunes since it thinks on its own rather well), complete cooling and induction system, and fuel system upgrade. Thus, why the wealthier than God JDM owner was able to complete such a task and he eventually put it up for sale. Doesnt say much about his creation, heh.

The S/C is a much better choice for the instant power at your command at a reasonable price.

The only reason you see turbos on large trucks is because they are pushing diesel and/or a V8 or larger, and then they are still only powerful, not necessarily quick. Ah, the scary sound of a V10 turbo diesel though.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT