So my VX has been rattling something awful ever since I had the new muffler installed. (Yes, the muffler resonates that much!) After much exploration by the friendly folks at my neighborhood Firestone shoppe, it was determined that the rattling was coming from the heat shield.

Furthermore, I apparently didn't even HAVE a heat shield...but rather, a heat-shield-shaped rust shell. It was in awful condition. The upper and lower sections were basically a crumbling mass of iron oxide chunks. They removed it, and it was just flaking off into pieces. Thanks, Florida!

Anyway. Long story longer. What's the dealio with these heat shields? Should I try to replace it with either a new one or a salvage one? One with less rust, this time? Or is it no big deal? I mean, mine was in such bad shape by the time it was removed that I might as well have had nothing there anyway.

Is it okay to drive without this heat shield, or will my VX explode? (And why do all of my problems end up with the VX exploding, in my imagination?) At least, without the rattling heat shield, my ride is much quieter now! Right up to the loud explosion, at least...