Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: not for the faint of heart...

not for the faint of heart...

...or those without roof rail covers! i cut mine all to pieces...

i was tired of my roof rack looking unfinished so i got off my lazy butt and did somethin about it!
    before

thanks to bart and kenny for the idea
    Last edited by etlsport : 05/04/2007 at 12:20 PM

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Nice Work !

Yes, yes! Very nice! I never understood why the stock rack didn't just come with replacement rail covers with the holes already made. Makes no sense, especially since it is hella ugly with out the covers.

Good work dude!

Bart

they did come with covers.....ppl just lose them

No, I mean replacement covers that already have a hole in them for the roof rack. I just don't understand why this was overlooked.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by MZ-N10
    they did come with covers.....ppl just lose them

They look great!! :_drool: Mind sharing how you made them and what materials? I really need some of these to hide the shame of my hack-job roofmounts.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Hey, you need the stock rail covers to start, and a Dremel. Here is how I did it:

Rail Covers

See my site for more info/pics here:

VX Madness

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder
    They look great!! :_drool: Mind sharing how you made them and what materials? I really need some of these to hide the shame of my hack-job roofmounts.

i measured up how high off the roof the opening under the rail is on each position, then took the roof rack mount i have and centered it up against the cover, marked the edges.. measured up the distance i needed to cut, drew my lines with a dry erase board marker (easily wipes off when youre done) then used the bit bart used to cut away the bulk of the material.. then switched over to this to round it off and smooth everything out

barts method probably works much better when doing more extensive cutting, mine required minimal cutting so i didnt worry too much about making a pattern make sure to test fit your roof rail covers on the roof rails and mark which goes where to make sure you dont cut the wrong cover

I

Arrow

Bart & all,

Nice job! How much for getting mine done? I don't have the tools, talent,and/ or the patience. I'll ship them to you...
    Daniel

Looks nice!

I wish I still had my rail covers! The X threw mine out with the garbage! (by accident she said, I say, thats a load of BS!)
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Quote Originally Posted by Knigh7s
    Looks nice!

I wish I still had my rail covers! The X threw mine out with the garbage! (by accident she said, I say, thats a load of BS!)

Sounds like a good reason to dump her to me j/k nice work ETL

Hey, honestly, I would do it for you, but if I f'ed up, I would feel really bad. Not to mention, I would need to take off my roof rack and get my covers off again, which I don't want to do since I broke of of the tabs off one one of the rail covers and I don't want to risk that again.

Its really not that hard, all you need is a Dremel, which can be had for $50 at Wal*mart.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by VXD959
    Bart & all,

Nice job! How much for getting mine done? I don't have the tools, talent,and/ or the patience. I'll ship them to you...

id gladly help out.. but i dont have a stock roof rack.. so i wouldnt know how/where to cut... barts right though, dremels are pretty cheap... and worth their weight in gold

the best way i figured out to remove the rail covers is i took a small flat screwdriver and slipped it under the middle of the cover towards the outside of the vx, and then slid it to one side lifting gently until that corner popped up, then slid the screwdriver to the other side until that one popped up, then slid the cover straight towards the opposite rail (horizontally across the roof) and it just slid right off (might be helpful to put some e-tape on the underside of the screwdriver to prevent scratching the roof

I think I may vomit... I only need one... It looks so f'd up with one missing, but i think it looks worse with all missing.. :: DRY HEAVE:: o the humanity.

No, it looks good. I would do the same if i had a rack (and all four covers)