Thread: Lift thread to end all lift threads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

I won't address the cal mini lift, as IMO, it's a waste of money for a bunch of stuff you don't need.

Cranking the T-bars creates lift in the front suspension by applying additional torsional load to the lower control arm. Crawl under & give your front suspension a look some time...see if you can figure out how it carries it's load without any springs.(coil or leaf)

OME 912's are the preferred replacement coil around these here parts, & that's all you really need to buy...Indy 4x if you want them now, Rocky Road if you want lower price & don't mind waiting.
    I'm not sure about using 919's on the VX, might be too much spring, I used them on Jim's Trooper on Matt's (Indy4X) recommendation. Some have gone to longer shocks in conjunction with 912's, but unless you're going for more lift via 912's & 2" poly spacers, I don't see the need. I've been running 912's & a 1" spacer for about a yr. with stock shocks & no problems. I added the spacer due to extra weight I carry.
    I would really like to see someone post a definitive comparison of all OME rear coils that fit the VX...that right there would be some handy information !

There are no back ball joints, it's a solid rear axle.

The "uber lift" you mention isn't really a possibility, as you are limited in how high you can go by the front CV angles...much higher than what we're talking about here & you should start thinking about a differential drop bracket in the front, a body lift, or SAS conversion. (use the search on those for more confusing info.)

Also, when lifting, I would recommend a set of stainless steel braid brake lines, (again, Indepent4X) they are a little longer to compensate for the lift, & give the pedal a firmer feel than the stock rubber lines.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Ldub : 07/07/2010 at 02:40 AM

Been a while since I've posted to VX.info. Something pulled me back here... I think I sensed that Ty wanted to lift my VX (yes, Ty, it will always be mine, mwahahaha!) I say go full custom and do a SAS.

PS - How's everyone doing? Ty, how's my baby?
    Steve

BTW, torsion bars are like 1-ended leaf springs. They have an adjustment crank because with time they tend to sag, but you can probably crank them up all the way to get a bit of lift. If you do this, it would create a positive camber (bottoms of the front wheels closer together than the tops) because of the unequal-length a-arms up front, and this is a very bad setup by all measurements, so people might simultaneously flip the ball joint to correct the suspension geometry up front when cranked.

IIRC, most VXers only "crank" the torsion bars down to create a drop.

Ldub and Steve, thanks so much guys. I cant wait to get to work on Protie (what I named her).

Ldub, are you saying that, literally, all I need to do, is get the OME 912s and install them to get some more lift? Wow, there is a bunch of wasted stuff in the calmini kit.

And steve, thanks so much for explaining what was happening with the T-bar cranking. I am not a total moron when it comes to cars, so if you spell it out like that, I can pretty much get it. After all, I did put the lift on my silverado that is in my gallery with just me and a buddy...I just didnt really pick up much of the chassis/suspension lingo I was hoping to...so thanks for aiding.

So, ok...how about this then (let me know if it is possible good/bad idea):
    I get the 912s and put them on (with proper adult supervision ) and do a bj flip / torsion bar cranking (and the braided brake line). Then of course, my next stop is an alignment shop. Does that sound like it should be all?

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate it.